DIY Dolly on Track - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable

Old July 30th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #16
New Boot

Gotta luv your site!

Hey nice site! I got alot of info off it that i was not expecting! Thanks alot
Brandon Tubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #17
New Boot

Hey thanks, I appreciate your comments.
Let me know if i was hard to navigate or if you see something that you would like to be put up on there.
www.bokserfilms.com
Vitaly Bokser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #18
New Boot

No, navigation wasnt bad at all. Maybe even easy! (thats good). If you get a chance could you run through our website at www.timberridgeproductions.com and check it out to see if we have any bugs you notice off the top. We also have some streaming video up under our sample work section. This is our newer web site, the old one has been down for a few months and this one seems to be a work in progress :).

One thing i may suggest about your website is possibly adding a link to www.crewpix.com, its a great place if you dont allready know about them! Happy film making!
Brandon Tubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #19
Tourist

First time DIY- Dolly weight and size..

Hello folks.

For years I have been interested in constructing my own dolly system, but for a small upcoming project, I've decided it's finally time. I've done alot of online research (and this forum has been a big help, as well) and I've come up with a few questions.

1. At first, I thought I could create simple skate-wheel trucks to attach to the feet of my tripod...so that there would be no platform..and I would be able to simply walk the tripod along PVC or metal pipe tracks. I still really prefer the idea of walking the tripod along, instead of being on the platform and being pushed/pulled, but it's become apparent that that idea won't work too well due to the lack of weight. SO, my first question is...how much weight is really necessary to keep the dolly steady and graceful?

2. I'd have no problem with creating the standard wood board dolly that runs on tracks, however, all of the images I've noticed are quite large in width. I completely understand why (stability and all), but I am curious about moving through doorways? For my upcoming project, I have a camera move in mind that would move us from a room into the outside, through a door. This is why I first imagined of the tripod only track idea...so I could change the width however was necessary. But anyways, I was curious if anyone has created a doorway dolly themselves?

I'm still figuring alot of things out, and I would love any input anyone might have. I'm currently without a job, but I can mangage up to a couple hundred for building supplies. I'm not too mechanically inclined (even something simple like a connecting system for the pvc has me slightly unnerved)..but as long as I don't have to worry about welding anything myself, I can manage.

Thanks in advance.
Mark Mushakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

DIY Dolly on Track

I spent the day building a dolly on a track today with extra add-on platforms for extending my tripod.

I turned out very well. I just need to come up with a good way to attach the pvc piping and all is well :)
Chris Cherrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #21
Major Player

Sounds cool Chris!

Do you have any pics you can upload?

~Gabriel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable