How's everyone doing? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
I need to get legal clearance to use the theme from 2001 Space Oddessy, otherwise it loses 90% of its value.... fun. So either we'll shoot something else or maybe just submit a pre-disqualified piece for the heck of it. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could obtain the rights without more than 3 digit$ to the left of the decimal that would be great.
You can purchase a commercial copy for use in your project that sounds pretty good for $29 at sounddogs.com. Go to sounddogs.com and search for Zarathustra.

Bill
(sadly watching from the sidelines while on vacation in Santa Barbara)
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner View Post

Bill
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's feeling very sorry for you! :)

Mike
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #33
Major Player

Status

Done. It was fun. Can't wait to see everyone else's.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner View Post
You can purchase a commercial copy for use in your project that sounds pretty good for $29 at sounddogs.com. Go to sounddogs.com and search for Zarathustra.

Bill
Thanks William it is VERY good to know that if my sound man doesn't come through, $29 will CMA.
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Could Be Close!

Well, I have my location and a helper. Start shooting about 2:00am Sunday, if everyone can stay awake!!! Nothing like starting the shooting 22 hours before the film is due.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that we all make it to the shoot. We have auditions for another full length film early Saturday morning in West Palm Beach, that will last all day. We all will be tired at two in the morning.

Mike
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Hey Bruce, we could both drive half-way to each other's city and "meet" in the middle, filming stuff going on along the way, LOL....
Thats pretty funny! I guess it would satisfy the requirement, a desert meeting.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #37
Major Player

Finished principle photography last night. The shoot ran long, but I'm getting started on the editing as we speak (as I type?). Hope it goes well, I'll have to buy some royalty free music to make the mood complete, but what the heck... at least I had fun shooting it and got to meet some nice people that helped out.

Best of luck to all...

Anybody have any idea how open grocery stores are to letting you film inside?
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Good news and bad news. The bad news is, I will be on the wall of shame this time. The good news is, my idea for this contest took off into a very large film project. I would not have it finished before the deadline and it's way over the time limit so it's disqualified. But still, I'm making something at least!
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk View Post
But still, I'm making something at least!
To my mind that alone means you win.
:-)
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post

In my neck of the woods - they will toss you out as soon as you pull out a cam, even if it's just a small consumer cam. Of course, you could always try it guerrilla style and see what you get.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #41
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post
Finished principle photography last night. The shoot ran long, but I'm getting started on the editing as we speak (as I type?). Hope it goes well, I'll have to buy some royalty free music to make the mood complete, but what the heck... at least I had fun shooting it and got to meet some nice people that helped out.

Best of luck to all...

Well I once put my camera in an empty case of pepsi and and cut a whole in it and filmed stuff in a grocery store. But they sort of caught on when they saw my boom mic so we ended up getting kicked out!!!
Zacharias Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Shofner View Post
In my neck of the woods - they will toss you out as soon as you pull out a cam, even if it's just a small consumer cam. Of course, you could always try it guerrilla style and see what you get.
Yeah, its that whole "Whatever happens in Vegas...yada yada yada...thing"

I think that allowance for filming in grocery stores is primarily going to be based on an individual basis, mostly leaning towards NOT. Pretty much never with chain stores, and perhaps sometimes in independent grocers.

Some would be concerned about patron comfort, and the potential to drive customers away if they walk in and see a film crew or cameras and lights.

More astute grocers would be concerned about potential liability issues pertaining to someone perhaps tripping over a tripod leg or mic cord, and not having such things covered under site insurance since they are not related to typical grocer/shopper activities.

We faced similar concerns regarding our shoot this week and decided not to even bother asking to shoot in a restaurant since it would have been very difficult anyway, so we ended up doing very tight shots on a set we built in my garage and exterior shots of a vacant building upon which I will add some signs and stuff in post. I won't be editing until tomorrow (Sat) so I don't really know how good it will look until then.

While filming outside the vacant building, we had some folks stop by and ask us if we were shooting for the movie they are making in town. Apparently, that day, the paper ran a story about a film crew in town filming for an upcoming feature about the year the Northern California 'wine country' swept the Paris tastings and put us on the snobbery map.

Yeah, Right ! I'm standing here with 2 friends, 1 tripod, and my XL2 miniDV cam. No dude, we're not in the papers.

It was a sweet thought though.

-Jon
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #43
Trustee

We have one more evening of shooting scheduled for tonight. The shooting session went a little late last night. We shot in a friend's apartment, and it took a long time to get the shot looking right. We never got the shot we initially conceived, but what we got should work pretty well.

Tonight's shot will likely be a little complicated as it involves a few small children (including my 4 year old daughter) so we could be in for an evening of 'herding cats'...so to speak.

Plus we have to rig up some clever finagling for a 'stray balloon' shot.

I also just finished building a dolly this afternoon. I wanted to use it for a shot we did the other day, but it wasn't ready and we didn't have room for it in the space anyway - so hopefully I will be able to get a neat little shot with it tonight. I've been playing with it all afternoon, and I love how it works.

-Jon
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #44
Trustee

just in from final night of shooting. stopped for pizala....pia...pizza and beer to thank the crew......feeling a little durnnk.....drunk. cutingg

cutiting'

cutting tomorrow.

goipng to bed for now.

-Jon
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #45
Tourist

WOW I still don't have any idea what i'm doing yet but hopefully I will figure it out pretty soon cause the deadline proceeds to get closer and closer.
Zacharias Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge