How's everyone doing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Wrangler

Well, let’s see…there’s the script I wrote in the Denver airport bar ‘n grill, complete with shot list (for a change) that I can’t shoot because the lead character decided it might offend the others in the movie. It’s a long story, but I’m ticked cuz I thought it was kind of funny, and it was all ready to go.

Then there’s the concept Mason thought up yesterday, let me flesh out, then told me today that he’s busy every blessed night this week.

So, along with some of the rest of you, I’ve got nothin’ right now.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Dudley View Post
I'm seriously starting to wonder.

Everybody else is talking about scripts, crews, locations, yada, yada...

It's just me and my camera. What have I gotten myself into? Damn. :(

Stacy
You should go watch my first two submissions. If I can do it, you can do it. :)

Anyway, my DVC9 short is in the can!
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #18
Major Player

I'm feeling pretty good right now, but I might change my mind when I try to finish up over the weekend. The visuals are done, and it actually holds together pretty well silent so that's good. The couple of lines of dialog have been recorded. I'm sure I have or can find the right sound effects. What I'm most worried about is music. The kids wanted to do an adventure movie so at the end of the weekend when I asked them to pull out their instruments (which they'd brought up to the lake) and jam on an adventure riff they suddenly went all teenage insecure on me. "We can't do that, we don't have the right computer stuff here." I brought mics, just play and I'll record you. "We can't play together." What? "We don't know what to play, Dad always tells us what to do." After 10 years each of formal lessons can you not just jam? Apparently not. So now I've got to find some, or take some loops and make some. But I'm not the musician in the family so I'm a little afraid I'm going to take the fun little movie they wrote and performed and wreck it with bad music. Oh well. It was still a blast making it with them.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I Got It!

So, I'm lying on the couch last night at midnight and all of a sudden an idea hits me! One I may be able to do! I get dressed again and head out the door to try and procure a certain location and some help. I get the location and some of the help I need and I'm promised more! Now I'm back home at one in the morning and I can't sleep! Oh well, I'll sleep afterward.

Eureka, I may get one done this time!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; August 9th, 2007 at 07:06 AM. Reason: adding extra
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #20
Major Player

Sigh... If I get this done it will be a one man show. Too much going on this week. I'll do my best to stay off the wall...

Good luck to everyone!

Mike
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Yesterday was another 'wash' for me. I had gotten no sleep the night before, and went to sleep just after we finally got home, but the day lasted a touch longer than usual through no fault of my own. I'll explain in a copy and paste of my website's front page. All photos and videos (some of you will recognize a frequent member of my casts narrating these) are left at original size and compression for full effect, so if you don't want to grab all this stuff, the bottom line is there was an EF 2 somewhere in Brooklyn, and we caught the outskirts of it in Queens.

On the way into Brooklyn in the morning, my dad and I noticed some heavy rain on the LIE. Harmless enough, and it looked pretty damned cool rainin' sideways.

Eventually, after reaching a dead stop near the 188th Street overpass (saw a CBS van go past up on the service road, then later saw some shots of this very flood on the five o'clock news), and heading back up the on ramp to the service road, we reached the root of the problem. I think the owner might need new upholstery.

Of course, some people had no trouble at all, and just rolled right on through.

There was also a video of the ride in, with all sorts of rain and oddly silent lightning, but at five and a half minutes and over seventy megabytes, I don't think anyone'd be interested.

So yeah, my day was dragged out a bit; got to the traffic jam at six thirty, arrived at our location in Brooklyn just before ten. Jamaica, Hillside, all the avenues were clogged, the Van Wyck was backed up like you wouldn't believe. Some locations saw hundreds of people standing in the streets, waiting for buses since most of the subways were out of commission. Seems to be a slight drainage problem in the area.

I should still be able to shoot this movie, though, so no worries on my mind. Just wanted an excuse to show off my purdy pitchers.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #22
Regular Crew

How's it going? HOW'S it GOING?

Until today, not very well.

I don't even have the first thing done. I had two ideas, so I thought I was ready to go, but all of sudden, all of my "talent" decided they couldn't help, so I had to do something else.

I was feeling like it wouldn't happen, but then I came up with an idea last night. So a quick rush to see if I could put it together; and, we are going to film this afternoon! What a relief.

Now, I just need to find enough time for all the things I want to do in post!

I am looking forward to all the videos.

Good luck to all.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #23
Major Player

Thought I was done

Shot and edited the whole thing, but my cast decided the pathos ending I had didn't fit the mood of the piece, and now I have to reedit the ending to make it fit with the comedic mood of the rest of the film.

Plus, I was going to record original music, but this is my weekend with the kids so maybe I'll just let them bang some pots and pans around and use that.
The pots and pans would have worked with the pathos ending.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #24
Major Player

I got Diddly. Oh...and Squat is here too.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Got to admit, I may be wall of shame. Shot a Heinz competition commercial instead of tending to DVChallenge business. I could use the $57,000 prize, you know....

see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLw2EAmEbUc
and this week I am doing a 48 Hour Project film......If I don't squeeze it in tonight, I'm to the wall of shame, I think...
Where is this Heinz comp going on at? Is it too late to enter? I could use that money for back surgery!!!!

Dylan,

I have something shot and done, everyone LOVES it. The only problem, I need to get legal clearance to use the theme from 2001 Space Oddessy, otherwise it loses 90% of its value.... fun. So either we'll shoot something else or maybe just submit a pre-disqualified piece for the heck of it. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could obtain the rights without more than 3 digit$ to the left of the decimal that would be great.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Broussard View Post
Until today, not very well.

I don't even have the first thing done. I had two ideas, so I thought I was ready to go, but all of sudden, all of my "talent" decided they couldn't help, so I had to do something else.

I was feeling like it wouldn't happen, but then I came up with an idea last night. So a quick rush to see if I could put it together; and, we are going to film this afternoon! What a relief.

Now, I just need to find enough time for all the things I want to do in post!

I am looking forward to all the videos.

Good luck to all.
Hey Bruce, we could both drive half-way to each other's city and "meet" in the middle, filming stuff going on along the way, LOL....
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
Where is this Heinz comp going on at? Is it too late to enter? I could use that money for back surgery!!!!

Dylan,

I have something shot and done, everyone LOVES it. The only problem, I need to get legal clearance to use the theme from 2001 Space Oddessy, otherwise it loses 90% of its value.... fun. So either we'll shoot something else or maybe just submit a pre-disqualified piece for the heck of it. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could obtain the rights without more than 3 digit$ to the left of the decimal that would be great.
Richard Wagner's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" is public domain. Any commercial recordings of it are not. You can do your own recording of it - on kazoo if need be, or all your friends singing "Dum... Dum... Duh-Dummmmm" etc.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #28
Trustee

That is exactly what I wanted to hear as I have a recording studio two streets away and access to a full piece band and engineer!!!! WOOHOOOOO!!!!

thanks!
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Even if it wasn't public domain, perhaps there is a family relation there that you could use? You're Great Great Great Great Grandpa's name isn't Richard by any chance?
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #30
Trustee

LOL, i was thinking about the irony in that as well. Just happen to have my ex-bass player from my band days now working on reconstructing the song, with a little of his flavor added. He lives three streets away and after seeing the footage probably won't sleep for two days. He pretty much has a full blown recording studio in his house, sound room, software, guitar, drums, many bass, mics, and a 24 track mixer I believe.

This is SO cool because I just by chance threw that 2001 Space...audio track on some of the raw footage and we died laughing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge