DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC9 - What's next? Judging! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/102014-dvc9-whats-next-judging.html)

Dylan Couper August 24th, 2007 08:35 AM

DVC9 - What's next? Judging!

The last batch of movies is online and hopefully you've been keeping notes on your favorites, because if you've submitted a film, YOU ARE A JUDGE!

Juding is really very easy, just pick your top three films, and email me your #1 #2 and #3 choices at thedvchallenge@gmail.com

Please include both the filmmakers name and the film title.

How long do you have to submit your choices? Until this upcoming Sunday night, midnight. I'll tally the votes and post the winner on Monday! Someone is going to start the week with a fantastic prize thanks to Guy Cochran at dvestore.com !

So how do you pick your top three films? Voting should be weighted 50% for production quality, and 50% for use of theme/story. If you need help, here is a system I've used almost since the start.

Each time I watch a film I give it two ratings out of 10. One for how well it uses the theme, one for overall production value. I write them down in order as I go, and if I find that they stack up better or worse to other films, I move their points up and down a little bit.

For example:
________Theme/Story ______ Production
Film A________9_____________ 9.5
Film B________8______________9
Film C________7______________7
Film D________5______________7
Film E________8______________3

By the end I find I have a list that represents fairly accurately what I would have chosen anyway, and no films get forgotten. I will go back and rewatch my top 5 just to make sure they are as I remember them.

Remember, you cannot vote for your own film!
My film is also not eligible to win (sniff).
One vote per film.
If you didn't enter a film for DVC9, you do not get to vote.

Have fun judges!

Lisa Shofner August 24th, 2007 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this handy little chart to use for voting, it's pretty much the same method as you use, Dylan. I added the "story" criteria. Once I score each column (theme, cinematography, story), I add up all the numbers. Theme is worth 2x the number (thus the 50% of the score as is in the rules). This way each film gets a point value between 0 and 36. Definitely helps for me to keep things straight when I'm trying to remember everything and I even added a comments section on the form to jot down notes for feedback.

Anyway, if anyone wants to use this, feel free. It's in MS Word fomat because I don't have Distiller here at the office to convert it - but if you really want it in PDF let me know and I'll send it to you tonight.

Marco Wagner August 24th, 2007 08:35 PM

This rocks! Thanks. Too bad it doesn't add up all the numbers like an excel spreadsheet (or does it?), hmmm, time oh time....

Thanks!

Dylan Couper August 25th, 2007 11:46 AM

Just want to make sure, will until tomorrow night be enough time for everyone to complete their judging?

If there is a super time crunch for a lot of people, an extra day is possible.

Kevin Randolph August 25th, 2007 03:03 PM

I'm good. You have my vote (if I did it correctly). But by all means I am not opposed to folks having another day to vote (for me).

Kevin

Jonathan Jones August 25th, 2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 734218)
Just want to make sure, will until tomorrow night be enough time for everyone to complete their judging?

If there is a super time crunch for a lot of people, an extra day is possible.

I'm good too. I don't anticipate andy problem having my votes done and sent off to you sometime around mid-day tomorrow, but if there appears a consensus if anyone else chimes in, I have no problem waiting as long as you deem appropriate for results.

You might consider keeping the orginal Sunday night goal standing, and then pronounce a grace period of 1 day on the judging if you find yourself the recipient of dramatically too few submissions by Monday morning.

Cheers,
-Jon

Randall Allen August 25th, 2007 11:00 PM

Mine are in so what ever works for the group.

Randy

Lorinda Norton August 25th, 2007 11:10 PM

Just got home from one of the most frustrating drives of my life (the other one being the drive to Wyoming two days ago). I still have five or six movies to watch, then have to rewatch them all for voting. Would also like to offer a little feedback to folks’ threads before the interest completely dies out—if it hasn’t already. I’ll try to get it all done by Sunday night so no one has to nearly die from suspense on account of me. ;)

Jonathan Jones August 25th, 2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 734459)
Would also like to offer a little feedback to folks’ threads before the interest completely dies out—if it hasn’t already.

Don't sweat it too much Lorinda, first take a good night to rest your eyes after such a long drive. It'll all still be here in the morning. Though I haven't yet finished tallying my considerations, I am still a little behind also. I've watched most of them at least 4 or 5 times to make some notes, but I still have a bunch of feedback notes to write that I haven't gotten to yet, and still have 2 or 3 yet to watch a couple more times before casting my votes...so you're not alone, and certainly not holding things up.

-Jon

Lorinda Norton August 26th, 2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones (Post 734463)
...first take a good night to rest your eyes after such a long drive. It'll all still be here in the morning.

You're right. Good night, Jon. :)

Daniel Kohl August 26th, 2007 02:46 PM

I've been of-line for the past three or four days, sorry for not getting to commenting. I should get my votes in by midnight my time, though. My compliments to everyone who has participated. This has been truly a very nice experience all-round.

Jonathan Jones August 26th, 2007 11:55 PM

Whew....finally just got my results in. That was tough. I loved them all so much. I guess that's a good thing because it is testament to the amount of effort the competitors have put into these great piece of work, and the abundance of skill involved in everyone.

Good luck folks.

-Jon