DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   A few acknowledgements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/102228-few-acknowledgements.html)

Jonathan Jones August 27th, 2007 01:03 PM

A few acknowledgements

These types of sentiments may have already been expessed in the content of other threads, but standing in a thread all its own, I wanted to offer a comment or two, and say a few 'thank you's' to those responsible for what we've been able to experience through the DVCs.

First, a tremendous expression of gratitude must be offered to Chris Hurd. I for one must confess nearly complete ignorance of what is truly involved in the building, maintaining, continuous dynamic growth, and indeed the integrity all that is DVi. I cannot truly testify to the countless hours involved in keeping abreast of the industry, recruiting skillful, helpful, and professioal moderators, finding the best of the best in the vendor market, building great relationships with them, maintaining such a dynamic, streamlined and efficient site, and most certainly, keeping the servers running. What I CAN testify to is the incredible amount of knowledge I have gained through my many hours spent in these pages of DVi. Virtually ALL of what I have learned about that in which I spend my professional energies have been gleaned from the knowledgeable folks on this site. I, in turn, am able to put this knowledge into a practice that benefits my clientele with what I feel to be an exemplary quality of work. Chris, thank you for that.

Next, I'd like to offer a huge 'thank you' to Dylan Couper. The skills and knowledge I mentioned in the previous paragraph really come to the fore in the DV Challenges that were created by and continue to be hosted by Dylan. Through these competitions, I am inspired to take what I have been learning, and put into practice in a way that forces me to improve ways of doing what I do. Each time I have entered the DVC, I have found it to be a tremendous learning experience, whether for scripting, acting, sound, lighting or cutting, the challenges have helped me more than any other single endeavor, to grow in my skill set. For that, I am eternally grateful. I am still bummed that I was not able to compete in 5 challenges in a row, but in returning for DVC9, I am so thrilled to be back in the game. Thank you, Dylan.

Certainly, this post wouldn't be complete without acknowledging Guy Cochran at the dvestore. There have been other vendors or gear makers that have come in and out in offering challenge incentives through prize package donations, but Guy has been the one constant, always putting the icing on the cake. Being such a dedicated and long-standing sponsor of the DVC is a testament to your commitment in recognizing and supporting those that are upcoming and growing in this field. That, sir, is an awesome thing. Thank you, Guy.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I thank all who have competed in the DV Challenge, #9 and all those before.

We who pursue our passions thorugh filmmaking or digital video are a mysterious lot. Those outside of the industry have virtually no concept of what we do, and as a consequence perhaps not much appreciation for the work and toil involved in taking a idea, fleshing it out, capturing and cutting it for an entertaining or enlightening presentation.

It is a labor of love, and it is a distinct pleasure, not only to enjoy this competition with all of you, but also to study and learn from all of your work, creativity, and expertise. But above all, it is most inspirational and gratifying to have my own efforts judged by you, who truly understand what is involved in the creation of a finished presentation.

Thank you.

Sincerely, and with best wishes,

Jon Jones