DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   General Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/104634-general-questions.html)

Daniel Ross September 29th, 2007 12:52 PM

General Questions

There seem to be a lot of threads floating around in here. Could someone make a sticky about asking questions? I'm not trying to just make more clutter.

Just some quick thoughts for now:

1. Youtube:
****************************************Misinformation deleted by moderator*****************************

2. Working together:
If I were to make an entry with a friend, could he sign up at the forum as well and could we submit it together, or would it only be allowed to be submitted by an individual? (Or, perhaps, working with another user who is already a member.)

Lorinda Norton September 29th, 2007 02:46 PM

Hi Daniel,

Go here to see a discussion we had about YouTube. It may not answer your specific question, but it may help.

As for collaborating, several of us have done that--in both situations you mentioned. It's a blast!

Dylan Couper September 29th, 2007 03:55 PM

Youtube doesn't own the rights to your material. They have the right to reproduce it. Biiiiig difference.

Daniel Ross September 29th, 2007 05:46 PM

Not really.

They reproduce it, put it on a DVD, and sell it. (Unlikely, but quite possible.)

Oh, but I still got my rights. Yay.

Or am I missing something? (It's a good thing if I'm wrong on this one.)

Thanks for the link, Lorinda.

Collaborating is fun. Sure. So no problems in the rules of submitting an entry from more than one person?

A note-- in the discussion, a lot of posts guessed at the intent of youtube in having that clause. I don't really care about the intent. Intent can change, especially if they just happen to have the rights to do whatever they want with a film.
It might have no particular value, but I don't really want that floating around, either.
For example, if I ever do become a big name director, it would be nice to have exclusive rights to the early stuff, for some "early works" DVD or something. Just an example, of course.

The youtube discussion is now closed (for the old contest).

You said something about exceptions. I have a lot of space on a fast server. That is not a problem at all.
How would that work?

I could even offer some hosting to others, though I'm hesitant to offer too much without knowing the demand.

For those without access to hosting, youtube is great. For those that do, it's lower quality and less-than-friendly in its legal terms.

If someone were to host it by themselves and it was an unstable host with lots of dropouts or a free host that required signing up to download, etc., then I think they should be disqualified. But if the process is smooth, what's the problem?
Having the clips up in a year is based on the user's choice, be it his own personal hosting or youtube as either could be removed at any time. (Free file hosts can take files down after a week, etc. I do agree with those being disallowed.)

Dennis Khaye September 29th, 2007 08:16 PM

If you want the truth about what YouTube can and can't do with anything you post there, you'll need to ask a lawyer who's licensed to practice law in what ever state you're in. Having said that I will tell you this one simple truth. No matter where you put your entry, if it's on the Internet, someone could steal it.

Allow me to quote Blake Snyder, "If you're really worried about someone stealing your stuff (and professionals aren't) then maybe you should find something else for your life to be about."

Dylan Couper September 29th, 2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye (Post 752009)
Allow me to quote Blake Snyder, "If you're really worried about someone stealing your stuff (and professionals aren't) then maybe you should find something else for your life to be about."

Nice!

I'll add another quote:
"Your problem isn't getting your stuff stolen... it's that nobody knows who you are." - Me

Daniel, if you don't want to submit a Youtube clip, that's fine, you can be an exception.

Dylan Couper September 30th, 2007 12:18 AM

Daniel, your whining drove me to actually kill a good chunk of my Saturday night reading Youtub TOS legaleze... I now hate you (no offense)... but I know EXACTLY Youtube's policies (been learning legaleze in the last year.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Ross (Post 751976)
A note-- in the discussion, a lot of posts guessed at the intent of youtube in having that clause. I don't really care about the intent. Intent can change, especially if they just happen to have the rights to do whatever they want with a film.
It might have no particular value, but I don't really want that floating around, either.
For example, if I ever do become a big name director, it would be nice to have exclusive rights to the early stuff, for some "early works" DVD or something. Just an example, of course.

You retain all rights to your material, but you give them a non-exclusive right to show it/reproduce it, while it is on their servers. This right ends after you take it down.

Read it for yourself and try to remember that they are trying to cover their butts on showing your video around the world and on all their affiliate sites.

Quote:

C. For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in User Videos terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your User Videos from the YouTube Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of User Submissions that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in User Comments are perpetual and irrevocable.

And try to remember the point of making movies is to have them seen, not to hide them.

It is the nature of art to exist beyond its creator.

Daniel Ross September 30th, 2007 06:47 PM

I think you're very likely right that they just don't want to be sued by someone for displaying it on the site, but I just don't like entering into license agreements when it isn't required.
If it's ok to host myself, then that's great. And I appreciate it. Sorry you spent so much time on it.
As I said, I'd also be willing to help a few others with some space.

Though I'm not drastically opposed to using youtube, I'd rather not, so I just would like to be able to enter the contest without worrying about that. (If I happened to make something I would want to sell, then would I want to keep it off youtube, not enter... etc.)

Thanks.