How y'all doing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Wrangler

How y'all doing?

How y'all doing out there?

Anyone finished shooting yet?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is my first time competing and honestly the biggest thing for me is the time limit. I have such good ideas but have yet to find a way to fit it into three minutes.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, it was very hard to think of an idea that would fit 3 minutes, but I'm happy to say I think I came up with one that works well.

Principal photography is done, for me, but I do need to get some secondary material. Trouble there is a location. I think I have an idea, though. Hard finding a room that looks right.

Then some FX, finish up the edit and add some music. Probably some ADR, too.

Everyone else?

Travis, may I suggest writing out your full script, then working from that, either cutting it down or just taking the best 3 minutes and going with it?
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm in Orange County CA, 100 miles from my home in San Diego which was evacuated due to massive wildfires closing in. Don't think I'll be entering this DVC. I hope to be able to find a house left and to be able to return to it sometime in the next week, but it looks like it might be there or it might not.

Talk about "Scare us"...

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Gotta say, sounds like a great situation to film a horror short. Go for it!
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Wrangler

Wow, Bill…I’m sure sorry. I hope it gets under control soon and you have your house when you get back. We’ll miss your entry, but hope that you'll jump in for some of the feedback fun if you can. Keep us posted, okay?
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice Daniel. I'll give that a shot.

Sorry to hear about your home Bill, hopefully you do have something to come back to, take care.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Hope all turns out OK Bill.

I am just about done filming and such. Still have a few things to redo and then continue in post. The main problem I am dealing with of course is the lighting but oh well Im doing what I can. I cannot wait to see what others have come up with.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Prinicpal shooting is, done, round edit doen, may need some supplemental shots, and sound additions. Sound track music an issue....

The real problem we all face is the "scarey" issue. As we shoot, edit, and reedit, and score, and reedit some more, the film we thought would scare becomes mundane....and I for one can't really tell whether its going to be successful in evoking that response-- especially with 40 other people who have been trying to get the same effect.... Oh well, such is life in the DV Challenge.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Dead-lock!

I think I am going to be hung on the wall of shame. I can't think of one decent idea. So not only have I not started shooting, I haven't even started writing anything down. Unless I can come up with an idea before the weekend, I'm out.

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Wrangler

Boy, do I sympathize! I’ve been in your situation many times (like right now) and pulled off something, so here’s hoping an idea comes to you soon, Stacy. And you can wish an idea for me while we’re at it. :)
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Anyone finished shooting yet?
Ha ha! Oh, Dylan, you make me laugh.

Bill, I'm pulling for you, here's hoping your home is unharmed when all is said and done. A lack of ideas is really nothing to complain about, considering.

That being said, I just so happen to lack ideas. Plenty of images, thoughts, feelings, that kind of thing, but no way to wrap a story around them. There's one tiny nugget rolling around in my mind right now, but it remains to be seen if I can pull it off.

Best of luck to everyone else who's twiddling their thumbs.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner View Post
I'm in Orange County CA, 100 miles from my home in San Diego which was evacuated due to massive wildfires closing in. Don't think I'll be entering this DVC. I hope to be able to find a house left and to be able to return to it sometime in the next week, but it looks like it might be there or it might not.

Talk about "Scare us"...

Bill
Bill,

Like Lorinda, I sincerely hope you come out okay on the wildfire. I watched the story this morning on the news. But you can always fly to Atlanta and direct one of my shorts. Give me the chance to be in front of the camera again.

Or send me your script. You always write excellent stories!

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post

The real problem we all face is the "scarey" issue. As we shoot, edit, and reedit, and score, and reedit some more, the film we thought would scare becomes mundane.....
...and that is what kills me on this one. For reasons posted earlier, I have had to decline entry into DVC #10, however, the other night after the kickoff, I put together in my mind's eye a nice little short that would have been perfect for this DVC:

Very creepy,
Simple story,
a couple of 'gotchas'
Less violently suggestive than my entry for DVC 3 and virtually no gore,
possibly nightmare inducing.

Since there is no way I could manage to compete in this one (I'm teaching a class tonight and trying to finish a huge project this weekend.) I'm going to have to make some notes and save them in case I can develop the idea for a future opportunity.

-Jon
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM   #15
Wrangler

saturday was 70 degrees, sunday was 30 degrees, and monday was back in the 70s again. so guess which day was the only day that my principals were free? yes, that's right, we froze our tails off in the cemetery last sunday shooting this thing. my original cast of thousands scaled back to 8 while the rest of them stayed home drinking beer and watching the broncos. LOSERS!

but they were an earnest 8, and all is well, in reviewing the footage, i think that i am going to be able to pull this together. this will be my first DV Challenge entry ever that has not starred either me or my dog. i'm so pleased about that!

and the cast sat around the post-shoot dinner talking about what they want to do next. in fact, one of them has said that he will write the screenplay. screenplay??!! i don't know nuthin' bout no screenplays!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge