A program to view DVC entries - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #16
Major Player

ok! Sorry I am posting so much about it. Its just a very cool idea and Im trying to help :)
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
ok! Sorry I am posting so much about it. Its just a very cool idea and Im trying to help :)
No need to be sorry, go ahead with bug reports and suggestions. I am glad to have some.
To thank you Josh, I just uploaded an update. There are a few cosmetics improvements, maybe a few bugs fixes and a voting grid.
I'd like to have some feedback about the voting grid. Right now, the total is:
(StoryTheme x 2 + Production ) / 3
Is it fine for everybody or would you like another system?
In the next release I will add a window to see a summary of the votes, sorted by points.

Oh, you can download it at the same place.

Benjamin.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #18
Major Player

Downloaded the new version. Turned on voting. I voted for a film but not sure if all I have to do is click or something else? After clicking the two numbers it did average them together. I closed out the application and when I came back my vote was not there so Im not sure if this would allow me to vote a few times or not. Is it possible to pull in the youtube star ratings and use those as well? I understand the desire for a more refined voting system but it might be easier to use the system all ready in place.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #19
Major Player

Sorry, my bad. I forgot to tell that votes are not saved in this version so they are reset when the application is closed. They will be saved in the next release.
The goal of putting the voting grid in the program is to replace paper and pen. What I can do is adding a function that copies the three first entries in the clipboard. Then you paste this in your email to Dylan.

There are several reasons why we can't use Youtube rating system:
1) Everybody can rate a video in Youtube whereas only the DVC contestants can vote. I don't think there is a way to control who is rating (not an easy one at least).
2) The Youtube API (or functions or feeds) are read only for the moment. So there is no way to rate, upload or modify the information about a video. Until Youtube provides write and read functions that is.

I hope I didn't confuse you more with these explanations. But that is the dark reality of programming...

Benjamin.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #20
Major Player

No problem I hear you loud and clear, I didn't realize you were trying to replace the voting system of sending in our top 3 films, I just though you were trying to allow feed back to the creators of the films. Good work :)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:29 AM   #21
Major Player

You can find a new update here.
The big new feature is that all the video infos are stored locally. What it means is the first time you launch the application, it will have to search the videos in Youtube which can be pretty long depending on the number of video. But it will save everything locally for the next time. So the subsequent times you launch it, the application will first load the info from the hard drive then search Youtube for updates. It also means the voting grids are saved.
I hope you will appreciate the comfort.

I am a little disappointed by the participation. For DVC 10, there are only 6 videos out of 16 with the adequate keywords. I noted that from these 6 contestants, 4 are between 19 and 30 years old, one is 40 and one is of unknown age. What about the others? Is there something I can do to make you participate?

Dylan, can you spread the word? Please? They will listen to you.
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #22
Major Player

Now we have 8 entries with the right keywords, half of the total contestants.

Eight to go!
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #23
Major Player

On the new version I get this:
Attached Thumbnails
A program to view DVC entries-picture-1.png  
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #24
Major Player

Josh, I am contacting you off-list.
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Durin View Post
What would be even cooler is if every one could upload to Youtube the videos from past challenges.
Workin' on it now, Benjamin. Thank you for doing this for everyone! :)
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Workin' on it now, Benjamin. Thank you for doing this for everyone! :)
Thanks Lorinda.

I won't hide that I was desperate not seeing your entry appear.
Finally you are here!
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #27
Major Player

Josh, I sent you an email yesterday but got no reply. So I will ask my questions here:
- Do you have Windows or Mac and which version?
- When exactly this dialog box appears? When trying to install, when launching the app, when the app is already running for a few seconds?

To solve the problem, try uninstalling the application first, then install again.

Thanks,
Benjamin.
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #28
Major Player

Today I noted I could not play the videos in the DVC Entry Viewer. After investigating, I found the url for the videos was corrupted in the local database.

Does someone has the same problem or it works fine for everybody? I'd like to have more info so I can fix this.

Thanks,

Benjamin.
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #29
Major Player

I am running Mac OS X Leopard. I will uninstall and reinstall. It is right at launch of the viewer. Not sure why I did not get the email but you can always contact me @ josh <'at'> simplethoughtproductions.com I removed the application and AIR and reinstalled manually but get the same error. Maybe the updated something on the mac side but not the PC side yet?
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
I am running Mac OS X Leopard. I will uninstall and reinstall. It is right at launch of the viewer.
It seems it's a problem with AIR and Leopard. Adobe is now informed of the problem but I am afraid it will take some time before they correct the bug (not before December I think).

Sorry for that Josh, you were one of my best testers!

Benjamin.

P.S. : the other best tester is Bradley ;)
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge