DVC10 Curse? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old November 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC10 Curse?

So who else got hit?

I think I remember a number of people with technical difficulties on this one including the folks who were evacuated by the fires. While I did not suffer anything during the challenge I did have my main editing PC not turn on twice when I went to edit. I would hit the power button and it would light up... then shut off.... hit of the power button again and it was off and going. However, yesterday... It seems to have come to an end. Only can power on for 30 seconds max before it just cuts out. I don't have the time to troubleshoot it any more than I have and it is about 3 years old so I called up Dell and did a custom order. Who else was hit by DVC10?!?
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Buy a new power supply....
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Replaced it with another PSU from work, same issue. :( Also used a power supply tester and all voltages are coming out correctly from my original (and new) power supply. I had also tried some different RAM. Also tried running it without extra hard drives and such, I think it might be Mobo related. I had broke down the entire system last night and rebuilt it to try and make sure something wasn't just shorting out.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

ouch, sounds like the power controller on the mobo. :(
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Its something, I do PC repair all day so I gave it a good shot, but it was nothing to straight forward and I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on it. Also the socket was 949 so it was at the end of its life so I just went with the dell because I can get the 3 year warranty for next to nothing meaning I can order a tech out to fix it if it breaks or do it my self if I have the time as I am dell certified, but back to the original thought... how many other people had some gremlins pop up? :p
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Wrangler

I’m one of those who complained of gremlins; the hard drive I was using for the challenge made two odd-sounding clicks and died so I had to recapture everything and start from scratch on a different drive. Funny thing…last night I decided to reconnect the “dead” drive to see if it would be possible to salvage a huge project I was doing on it…and it works! Ooooooooooo… ;)
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Some times dead drives just need a break, even a little cooling off period in the freezer :p just make sure to get anything important off of the drive now. Wouldn't use that drive again for anything important again though.
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Wrangler

Agreed, although, once the stuff is off that drive I think it's going in the trash. Life's too short to be worrying about it taking a dive again. :)
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #9
Trustee

Well, I had already finished and uploaded my entry to the hosting sites and had even done some supplementary taping for the folks who worked with me on it. I went with them on a paranormal investigation and did some documentary stuff for them.

While taping an intro to that segment, Chris Beach suddenly announced that the camcorder "had a mind of it's own". Started doing a slow zoom without the zoom control having been touched. He got it stopped and zoomed back to the setting he wanted to use, I walked over and darned if it didn't do it again while I watched.

Then last night as we started on UWOL#6, one of the batteries got "flaky". Now it has a partial charge and now it has almost no charge.

I'm a skeptic, so don't chalk it up to any DVC_10 curse, but wonder if any of the Fort Concho ghosts are "messin' with me".

Here's a link to the material for anyone who didn't catch it in the feedback threads.

http://www.fortvir.net/gallery2/P3U_...S_bts.wmv.html
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Wrangler

i should be filming you people for my entry next year....

"The Curse of DVC10"

mwahahahahaha!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Major Player

I don't know about a curse... but...

One of my roommates "accidentally" stole some of my candy from the film and ended up eating some of the eyeballs that were injected with the glow in the dark liquid!

Ewww! Oh well. he's pissed at me, but I think it's his fault for stealing candy!

HAHA.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Wrangler

Okay, seriously. My Imac was dying as I tried to mix the sound for Lorinda's film. By last Sunday, it was no longer able to boot completely. The problem actually started during the prior week when I closed a window on screen and was left with chroma glitter. The iMac is all one board built into the display and so the graphics controller is integrated. Well guess what? I have to go pick it up from the Apple store after it had a new logic board installed.

You may recall that we had a full moon during that week and it was in fact a perigee moon (orbit closest to Earth). I don't have hard documentation on this, but during the many years I worked as an equipment tech in the semiconductor industry, I saw some of the weirdest, out in left field equipment failures that coincided with full moon. I believe in my heart that just as the moon affects the ocean tides and animal behavior, it affects the basic atomic elements of our planet. That would include electrons racing around inside our computers and stuff. One example I can recall is 3 phase electrical pump motors suddenly wanting to run backwards without having been touched. It's a simple matter to switch any two legs of the incoming power and they will run forwards again. I can also recall electronic component failures that were out of the norm in terms of usual equipment idiosyncracies.

Based on the number of computers in just this challenge that acted up, I think it would be interesting to see just how much this happened on a larger scale.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Wrangler

I believe what you’re saying, Greg, but have to say that the gremlin/curse theory has a bit more zing to it, given the time of year. ;)

Yep, I remember it well…Greg tells me on Saturday night that he’s scrambling to get effects done one step ahead of his failing machine. Sunday morning he tells me it’s completely dead and he’s having to resuscitate it somehow. At this point, I’m nearing critical condition myself…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Graham View Post
One of my roommates "accidentally" stole some of my candy from the film and ended up eating some of the eyeballs that were injected with the glow in the dark liquid!
LOL, Brent! I’m picturing a scene at the hospital…
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Good points Greg. I wonder if you think the internet itself could be affected. I think so.

My curse of the moon:

During the editing process, I had it down to my final cut and exported and uncompressed quicktime to my back up drive. Brought it back in to my timeline, set it up to output my .mov, let that cook for 45 minutes, fired it up when it was done and half of my soundtrack was gone! Went back and exported a new uncompressed version after watching/listening to to original cut. Everything was fine. Brought that back in and the sound was gone again?! Sheesh.

Took out my .44 mag and fired off six rounds at my PowerBook. Fortunately, I'm a bad shot and missed completely.

Was having one heck of a time uploading my videos. I even tried to upload a simple 28MB .mov to myspace and after 5 1/2 hours it was only 82% done! Lorinda told me it wasn't going to make it. Sure enough, by the time I checked it again, everything crapped out. Thank you Spudville!

Next, I tried to upload another relatively small .mov to one of my personal websites and after 3-4 hours of trying, I finally gave up. Just glad I was able to get the youtube version and my .mac version online before all the "internet trouble" started.

Weird.
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #15
Wrangler

hmm...now you've got me thinking. one weird thing did happen, come to think of it. one of my zombie crew came over for dinner, and i typed in the web page on my website to show the film to him. the page, which had been working fine that night, didn't load at all...instead, the page that did load was the front page of my former website. it just came up out of the blue. and came up repeatedly, until, on the fourth refresh of the web address, the zombie page came up. never did that before. hasn't done it since.

it was a little spooky, come to think of it.

this thread needs a campfire! and marshmallows! and....

THE CLAW!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge