DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   HD @ vimeo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/117509-hd-vimeo.html)

Mugurel Dragusin March 21st, 2008 02:25 PM

HD @ vimeo

Seems we could make use of: http://www.vimeo.com/hd

For those who go HD, if submitting a vimeo link, would a youtube link still be mandatory?

Sean Seah March 22nd, 2008 09:35 AM

Take note yr files can be download in HD on Vimeo. I have not found a way to disable it yet. But den again it is possible to rip youtube videos so...

Eric Darling March 22nd, 2008 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In each video's settings, under the Privacy options, there is a check box that says "Allow other people to download the source video."

Just un-check that. See attached screen capture from Vimeo.

Sean Seah March 23rd, 2008 11:13 AM

Hey thanks Eric! It even has a password protected option. NICE!

Mugurel Dragusin March 23rd, 2008 08:49 PM

Dylan, Lorinda? :)

Lorinda Norton March 23rd, 2008 09:36 PM

I've not only watched some things on Vimeo, I've got a couple videos there. It's much prettier, but how come, for me, the first play through stops every second or so to buffer? Drives me completely insane; I have to leave until the video plays through once. Must be something to do with my PC.

About all of the movies being in one place, I've said it before, but the one thing about YouTube is that it's an equalizer. Dylan has maintained that it's not the camera or the compression but the content that determines a winning entry, so the quality only becomes a factor if someone doesn't take the brightness/levels issue into account. Besides that, with YouTube the movies all end up in the Challenge group, have the potential to be seen by more people, PLUS, if folks download Benjamin's app they can watch them and even use the handy voting "tool" he designed.

However, Dylan is always open to ideas. He'll be back in a week or so; we'll see what he says. :)

Mugurel Dragusin March 23rd, 2008 09:46 PM

Thank you Lorinda, guess a YouTube + Vimeo together should work fine then.

Benjamin Durin March 25th, 2008 04:09 AM

Same as Lorinda here.
And those having SD cams would be at a disadvantage against the folks with real HD hardware.
Besides, didn't you see what Dylan is saying about Youtube's new feature ?

Mugurel Dragusin March 25th, 2008 04:25 AM

My question was whether those who have HD capabilities can submit only vimeo link :) However, as Lorinda pointed out, the grouping of all videos in same place + Benjamin's software would make it practical to submit it to youtube in the first place.

Basically I've got the answer to my question.

Bruce Foreman April 20th, 2008 09:14 PM

And one of Dylan's other reasons for going the Youtube route was the ease of viewing. Previously we all had to put up with file transfer one way or another and it took several minutes for even smaller files to download.

On youtube they generally start playing right away and most of the time play on through.

Mugurel Dragusin April 20th, 2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 864280)
And one of Dylan's other reasons for going the Youtube route was the ease of viewing.
[...]

On youtube they generally start playing right away and most of the time play on through.

How is vimeo harder to view?

* Click and starts playing
* Enable/Disable HD mode (for those with slower computers/connections)
* If you upload SD content, will show up more clear than the same SD content on youtube
* Allows download of the source file (very useful for those like me who like to have a copy stored offline)

I'm not associated with vimeo in any way, just being objective.

Lorinda Norton April 20th, 2008 11:46 PM

Like the problem I mentioned earlier, this one could be with my PC, but I’ve found with Vimeo that the uploading can be finicky—I’ve had three failures in the five times I’ve tried. For example, members are allotted 500MBs per week, which is great, but the last time I tried uploading a video it failed, with the explanation that I’d gone beyond my weekly allotment. I hadn’t uploaded a video in over a month so it was a bit frustrating.

There’s no doubt about it, though—it is pretty, and I totally agree with Mugurel about the ability to download the file (if the author permits) being a plus.

Bruce Foreman April 21st, 2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin (Post 864324)
How is vimeo harder to view?

Depends on where you live and what ISP choices are available to you.

I have fairly current hardware. Intel Q6600 quad core with 4GB fast RAM.

I live less than one mile from the phone Co. They upgraded me from 1.5Mbps to 3.0 Mbps and the phone service line from them to me couldn't cut it. So after a week and a half of no real internet service they dropped me back down to the slower rate.

For me Vimeo starts, stops, starts again after 20 seconds, stops after 4 or so and that's the way it goes until it's downloaded. I love the HD content but like Lorinda get extremely frustrated.

Your best solution: Those that want post a second copy on Vimeo (And I'll even watch some there) but everyone continue to put their entries on Youtube.

I no longer have the time to download all entries in pops and jerks and will no longer be able to participate in the judging if Vimeo (or anything like it) becomes mandatory.

If I can't participate in the judging, I don' compete.

Lorinda Norton April 21st, 2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin (Post 847363)
Thank you Lorinda, guess a YouTube + Vimeo together should work fine then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 864544)
Your best solution: Those that want post a second copy on Vimeo (And I'll even watch some there) but everyone continue to put their entries on Youtube.

Look at that! We made a circle! :)

Mugurel Dragusin April 21st, 2008 11:49 AM

Seems we all agree in the end :)