DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   How's everyone doing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/124507-hows-everyone-doing.html)

Dylan Couper June 24th, 2008 05:54 PM

How's everyone doing?

Everyone seems to be busy making films... this is either a good sign or a bad sign, as the challenge gets close to the close. :)

Me? I'm going to wait until the absolute last minute before picking up a camera. Nothing like pressure!

Andrew Kufahl June 24th, 2008 07:53 PM

I think the UWOL robbed me of my "spirit" for a little while. Not sure I'll have the time to put something together for this one... which is too bad considering I worked up the courage to enter for the first time. Oh well... guess I'll just have to catch it next time around.

Best of luck to you,
Andrew

Lorinda Norton June 24th, 2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 898039)
I'm going to wait until the absolute last minute before picking up a camera. Nothing like pressure!

Yep, that’s how it’s looking for me. An idea my son gave me was good but now the guys lined up to do it are too busy. That’s okay, though – I haven’t had time to even think about a script.

We just got done with our first “after the gig” get-together with the Blues band I’m in. (Yeah, D, I can type, but it ain’t going all that well—thank goodness for the backspace key... ) ;) Too bad I didn’t have a camera running to capture the kind of luck we had tonight. My film would be done!

Mike Teutsch June 25th, 2008 05:23 AM

I have not started at all!

I did get my UWOL film done, but now it does not appear on the list. I don't know what happened there. Still working on the roof of my motorhome (almost done) and my son's flying in today. I have to teach a class tomorrow night and we have a shoot this Saturday.

No sweat, I may get one done yet. ;)

Mike

Bruce Foreman June 25th, 2008 02:36 PM

Well, I got the UWOL challenge done well before the deadline and before I could start on this one, a Defensive Handgun Skills class came up and I pretty much need to teach those when the folks need the training.

So last week was spent doing that. I did manage to get a couple of folks interested in a story and for the first time I made myself do a storyboard. That helped me write a fair script and we started shooting last night. I won't say it went totally smooth but we all liked what we got.

I now shoot with a Canon HF100, so I was able to pull the media card out of the camera, copy the .MTS files over to a laptop hard drive and we reviewed the "raw footage" on the computer right on location. Found one scene that absolutely needed to be reshot and did that on the spot.

Anyway, we're about 2/3 done and hope to finish up tonight. I have last nights material already edited and it's coming together.

Mugurel Dragusin June 25th, 2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 898606)
I now shoot with a Canon HF100, so I was able to pull the media card out of the camera, copy the .MTS files over to a laptop hard drive and we reviewed the "raw footage" on the computer right on location. Found one scene that absolutely needed to be reshot and did that on the spot.

I am working with the HF10, looking forward to see your entry :)

Robert Martens June 25th, 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 898039)
I'm going to wait until the absolute last minute before picking up a camera. Nothing like pressure!

I am also taking this approach. Totally on purpose. Completely intentional. I have an abundance of workable ideas, how dare any of you suggest otherwise?

Lorinda Norton June 26th, 2008 02:04 AM

OK...I’ve finally got a story, no script yet, four actors who can only shoot from 8-10:30 on Saturday night, multiple locations to light, weird props to find...

Things are looking up! :)

Kris Holodak June 26th, 2008 01:43 PM

Sigh

Well, sign me up for the wall of shame now. I've actually shot everything and I've got a rough cut done, but there's a lot of post that needs to happen and as I'm out of town this weekend (for a really cool camera class that I'm very excited about) there's pretty much no way we'll finish on time.

Well, we were very off theme anyway so it might be just as well. But we're having tons of fun and I'm learning a lot - really stretching myself in the sound design area this time out. So I might post it late after the competition is done and start a feedback thread. After all the real prize to this whole contest is getting the feedback.

Smile,
Kris

Jeff Turkali June 26th, 2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 898919)
OK...I’ve finally got a story, no script yet, four actors who can only shoot from 8-10:30 on Saturday night, multiple locations to light, weird props to find...

Things are looking up! :)

Well....if your story is really good you might be 80% of the way there.

Lorinda Norton June 26th, 2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Turkali (Post 899252)
Well....if your story is really good you might be 80% of the way there.

If that's the case, make that more like 40%. ;)

Kris, we'll be looking for your late entry. It'll give us something to enjoy and review during the off time.

Joseph Tran June 27th, 2008 12:53 PM

Blech...

... worked with a new DP who brought in a new camera he didn't really know how to use. My usual DP was acting this time. The camera work was very lazy. *grumble, grumble, grumble*

Ken Bates June 27th, 2008 03:33 PM

Dangit ! !

how come every time i check in it is 48 hrs till the deadline of the latest challenge.
..not sure what I wold do with this theme. Interesting.
Can't wait to see the other entries.

-Ken

Bruce Foreman June 27th, 2008 10:37 PM

Shot the last remaining scene this afternoon, dropped it on the timeling in the right place, and started test renders. Fixed a couple of minor things and finally got a good render...Then discovered I had the form of the required dvchallenge title wrong.

Corrected that and what I hope is the final render of the file that will be uploaded first to YouTube then to Vimeo, is underway now.

This one was a whale of a lot of fun, my cast enjoyed doing it as much as I did. I hope the rest of you are having that kind of experience because that will make one helluva great bunch of films to watch.

Lorinda Norton June 27th, 2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Bates (Post 899835)
how come every time i check in it is 48 hrs till the deadline of the latest challenge.

I thought about shooting an email your way, Ken, and then I got sidetracked, which is a common occurrence with me. Next time I'll try to give your cage a rattle. :)