DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Thank goodness for the extra week (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/137286-thank-goodness-extra-week.html)

Jeremy Doyle November 5th, 2008 11:58 PM

Thank goodness for the extra week

Script in hand, shooting this weekend, then a whole week to edit instead of a few hours. I may even have to throw a few effects in. Love the extra week!

Lorinda Norton November 7th, 2008 12:47 AM

Agreed

I’ll tell you what this first week got me. I hit brick walls on two good ideas (they weren’t mine) and it took me ‘til just now to come up with a third one. So I agree--thank goodness for the extra week!

James Huenergardt November 7th, 2008 01:45 AM

I'm lovin' it too.

Having Sunday to shoot is a BIG help. Especially since all day last Sunday was spent writing story/script.

Having a ball.

James Gigante November 8th, 2008 12:52 PM

Progress

2 scenes left to film, gonna have to reschedule one of them due to weather. and I already had to reschedule another one due to weather! Lousy unpredictable MI.

Dick Mays November 10th, 2008 06:53 AM

More time is a double edged sword. You have to do more with the short, and I like the excuse of only having 48 hours to make a short. I'm losing sleep over this one.

Hope I don't get disqualified, but I'd rather not ask because it's already in the short.

Living on the edge...

Jeremy Doyle November 10th, 2008 10:01 AM

Done shooting. Rough edit pretty close. And lots of time left. This is definitely the most ambitious I've ever been for DV challenge.

Andris Krastins November 12th, 2008 09:54 AM

I'm finishing filming this evening (one afternoon and one evening in total), then edit.
It's really great that we had a weekend to film, because it's a lot harder if you're a full time worker.

Lorinda Norton November 12th, 2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 961693)
Hope I don't get disqualified, but I'd rather not ask because it's already in the short.

We should have a discussion about specifics between challenges--been meaning to talk about “greeking” (hiding or changing corporate trademarks that have not been cleared) but never seem to get around to it. You’ve probably noticed that we’ve gotten a little lax so whatever it is, you’ll probably be fine, Dick. Or not. ;)

Man, that’s great that some of you guys are nearly done! I'm getting excited about watching your films.

I don’t remember what it’s like not having my back against the wall. We got a couple hours of sunshine today after days of rain so I grabbed my camera and the actor and shot as much as possible. They’re mostly hand held shots, which I promised myself I wouldn't do anymore, but I think they'll work okay with the story. The rest will have to wait until Friday, and a critical component in this deal depends on a guy who hasn't returned my emails.

Dick Mays November 12th, 2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 962787)
You’ve probably noticed that we’ve gotten a little lax so whatever it is, you’ll probably be fine, Dick. Or not. ;)

Man, that’s great that some of you guys are nearly done! I'm getting excited about watching your films.

I don’t remember what it’s like not having my back against the wall. We got a couple hours of sunshine today after days of rain so I grabbed my camera and the actor and shot as much as possible. They’re mostly hand held shots, which I promised myself I wouldn't do anymore, but I think they'll work okay with the story. The rest will have to wait until Friday, and a critical component in this deal depends on a guy who hasn't returned my emails.

I'm counting on the lax part. BTW, my whole short is hand held. These crime dramas have made the jiggly camera okay. My story, I'm sticking to it.

James Huenergardt November 13th, 2008 09:55 AM

Just finished my rough edit. Barely made the 5 minute limit. Wish I had time to ADR/Loop some audio, oh well.

Lorinda, if you watch 24, CSI or Fringe (or most any other action drama or show) you'll notice a LOT of hand held shots. It gives your shots a more organic feel.

I chose to shoot a lot of scenes hand held for the look and to shoot more setups quickly.

However, the shows are using much larger/heavier cameras which smooths out the handheld shots where hand holding a smaller 6lb or so camera can become quite shaky if you're not careful. Although NYPD Blue was very shaky at times not to mention the Bourne movies.

It's art. It's subjective.

Now to score this puppy and get it uploaded before Sunday!

Dick Mays November 13th, 2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 963089)

However, the shows are using much larger/heavier cameras which smooths out the handheld shots where hand holding a smaller 6lb or so camera can become quite shaky if you're not careful.

I attach an 18" monopod to my little HV30, to get a steadier shot. It's the poor man's steadycam.

Joseph Tran November 13th, 2008 07:17 PM

Should I be freaking out that I barely started today and won't finish shooting 'til tomorrow?

Lorinda Norton November 13th, 2008 08:43 PM

Yes.
;)

Actually, I won't be done shooting until tomorrow, either, so you've got company, Joseph. Looking forward to seeing what you've done this time!

Jim, you nailed down the problem I have with hand held shooting. Mine always looks like home video to me because of the camera shake, plus, today I looked at some stuff I shot and it's tilted! I have to tilt my head, too, or it almost makes me dizzy...

Aaron Fay November 14th, 2008 12:59 AM

Corporate Trademarks

Is there a problem with corporate trademarks? I didn't quite understand the comment about 'greeking' (I'm a little new to this).

Handheld: We have an Indicam (love it) but I didn't have time to set it up. We finished shooting on Tuesday, about 6 hours of shooting/driving/rehearsing/setup time total (1 afternoon and 1 evening) to get 35 minutes on tape. Takes me about 20-30 minutes to balance my XL2 on the Indicam sled (on a good day) so I could't afford the time. Call me goofy but it seems camera shake becomes more 'aesthetic' the longer the lens you have...

Joseph Tran November 14th, 2008 04:16 AM

Heheh, appreciate the company, Lorinda. And let's just say that I took a very abstract approach to this DVC's theme, and it's quite a departure from the previous two.

Oh, and based on everyone's comments, I think hand-held will be the other theme this time around ;)