How's everyone doing? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #76
Major Player

It kills me, but I am going to have to bow out..... NOT because I didn't shoot it, but because, well... my scripting (with last minute adjustments) just will not and cannot meaningfully fit the time slot of 5 minutes. And no, it isn't because I cannot edit the stuff I shot, it just isn't possible to do it and have it be meaningful in a 5 minute timeframe. "My eyes were bigger than my stomach" is a phrase that comes to mind.

There IS good news though.

One of the things about a challenge is that it, well, gets us all off our dead butts and makes us DO something. As I was shooting this, I was seeing an end segment to the "Night Rider" serial.... and now, with this footage, and adding and re-editing the initial one into the new footage, AND adding my new ending, I have a nice 15-20 minute short film...

That is the plan. So, what did not make it into a 5 minute entry was the springboard to a short film. A silver lining as it were.

I'll enjoy seeing everyone else's entries, and will share my short when it is finished.

Chris "Sharktank" Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM   #77
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
It kills me, but I am going to have to bow out..... NOT because I didn't shoot it, but because, well... my scripting (with last minute adjustments) just will not and cannot meaningfully fit the time slot of 5 minutes. And no, it isn't because I cannot edit the stuff I shot, it just isn't possible to do it and have it be meaningful in a 5 minute timeframe. "My eyes were bigger than my stomach" is a phrase that comes to mind.

There IS good news though.

One of the things about a challenge is that it, well, gets us all off our dead butts and makes us DO something. As I was shooting this, I was seeing an end segment to the "Night Rider" serial.... and now, with this footage, and adding and re-editing the initial one into the new footage, AND adding my new ending, I have a nice 15-20 minute short film...

That is the plan. So, what did not make it into a 5 minute entry was the springboard to a short film. A silver lining as it were.

I'll enjoy seeing everyone else's entries, and will share my short when it is finished.

Chris "Sharktank" Swanberg

Just submit it for "non-competition". That's what I do everytime I submit my films. :)
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM   #78
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bellaire View Post
Also If I was on meds before the challenge and now need more meds after the challenge does being medicated mean I am normal because I'm on meds the whole way through? just wondered.... Never mind..... Be quite.... What did I say?
Craig,

If you are wondering if you are normal, then you ARE normal.
It's those folks that don't wonder if they are normal that have issues.
At least, that's what I tell myself.

Meds are a very good thing.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM   #79
Major Player

Dylan.... DUH (slapping forehead) - good idea. I will finish the piece as shot so we have a sequel and post it but not for the competition. Then I will continue to work on my longer short. Thanks for stating the obvious to my weak mind.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM   #80
Regular Crew

I had to "waste" a day of editing only days prior to the deadline to film a swimsuit photoshoot. Ah yes poor me. Now I'm back to editing, film already cut down to appropriate length, and now only need to color, audio, transitions, titles, credits, rendering and uploading... might be an all nighter Saturday.

Also before I submit the final edit, I am curious of the official rules since this is my first submission in the DVI challenge.
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harmon View Post
I had to "waste" a day of editing only days prior to the deadline to film a swimsuit photoshoot. Ah yes poor me. Now I'm back to editing, film already cut down to appropriate length, and now only need to color, audio, transitions, titles, credits, rendering and uploading... might be an all nighter Saturday.

Also before I submit the final edit, I am curious of the official rules since this is my first submission in the DVI challenge.
We have to check with Dylan, but I'm pretty sure the official rules require you to post appropriate footage from any swimsuit shoots prior to actually submitting your film.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:56 AM   #82
Major Player

If I know Dylan, he'll be more upset that we waited on his permission to post photos of swimsuit models; having that stuff prepared and uploaded by the next time a moderator checks the board is a surefire way to get on their good side.

Back to the subject of me, guess who's doing the happy dance? I just finished the first cut of my film, and it actually does approximate what I was going for. Time to head off to bed, I've got a long weekend of sound mixing and some heavy color correction ahead of me. Though at almost four o'clock in the morning, I suppose it's not ahead of me anymore.

See the rest of you at the finish line!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM   #83
Regular Crew

I'm out.... can't make it on time. Last month I had to do stories in Bolivia, Peru and Trinidad. Right now I'm in flu-stricken Mexico and will be here well beyond the deadline. Good luck to those who made it! I'll be looking at the entries with interest.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #84
Major Player

Since I haven't quite started yet, exactly what time is the deadline tomorrow?
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM   #85
Major Player

Midnight, PDT; or, on our coast, three AM Sunday night/Monday morning.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM   #86
Wrangler

"Official" rules can be found all over this Challenge forum, but maybe we should make it more prominent for future challenges. Anyway, here's for the first-timers...

Because some of the rules have changed, even though we encourage you to look over The DV Challenge: * Official Rules if you haven’t, here are some important reminders:

GUIDELINES
The maximum duration of your film is five minutes, plus an additional 20 seconds for credits. You ARE allowed to use part of the additional 20 seconds for your film if you need it. There is no penalty for films shorter than 5 minutes, so you can enter with a 30 second film if you like.

Your film must open with a title reading "thedvchallenge.com presents" Please note the URL is "thedvchallenge.com" and not "dvchallenge.com" You may use any font, in order to make it congruent with the look and feel of your film.

All good stories need a good title! Your film must have a title which must show at the beginning of your film following "thedvchallenge.com presents"! Whenever you email us, please include the title. It makes life so much easier.
Please, do not make the title the same or similar to the theme. If the theme is “cats”, don’t call your movie “Cats”, “The Cats”, or “A Cat”.
Very descriptive titles are good as it helps your film stick out in the judges minds when trying to remember which film is which. Films titled “untitled” will be frowned upon.

CONTENT
YOUR FILM MUST BE ALL YOUR OWN MATERIAL, or you must have legal right to use it, such as copyright free music or properly licensed music. You must credit any other artists in your credit roll.

YOUR FILM MUST BE NEW AS OF THE START DATE. You cannot use video shot before the start date of the challenge. You may not submit a film that you shot previously. Some exceptions may be made for royalty free stock footage on a case by case basis. Royalty free music is excluded from this rule.

Photo montages and animation (including stop-motion) are not acceptable as submissions. Films may include photo montages and animation in limited quantity if it is critical to the story.

Visual effects of all types are allowed.

You retain 100% ownership of your film, and are 100% responsible for its content.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:39 PM   #87
Major Player

Lorinda

you done? 8^)
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM   #88
Wrangler

Ha! I wish. But my sister, my mom and I just got done shooting some stuff that I hope to piece together later tonight. I don't know, though--it really stinks being in front of the camera instead of behind it. I have no idea what I'm going to see, and if it's too embarrassing it'll get deleted in a hurry. :)

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; May 2nd, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM   #89
Wrangler

The bulk of the footage for my movie didn't get recorded. When I handed the camera to my sister I forgot to hit the record button. *sigh* I think I know what caused the brain lapse but it'll give away too much if I say.

So it was back to the store for more "food" and we'll try again tomorrow afternoon. I have a five hour commitment tomorrow night so this is going to be interesting.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:01 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Sorry to hear about your mishap, Lorinda... but I have a prediction: tomorrow, all the stuff you're gonna re-shoot will be better than the original takes... just you watch.

I'm just getting home from our late, late night shoot. It's time for some zzzzzzzzzz.
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge