Digital Video Challenge - #1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old April 1st, 2005, 12:11 AM   #1
Wrangler

Digital Video Challenge - #1

DIGITAL VIDEO CHALLENGE
Introduction episode

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the introduction episode of our digital video challenge. This challenge, although hosted by DVinfo, is not an official DVinfo event, but an individual challenge amongst members, hosted by myself. Thanks to Chris Hurd for letting us do this here.

Our first challenge will be a scaled down version from what I hope to see later on. Since this is a trial run, our rules will be a little lax, the genre and theme a little broad, the duration of the films a little shorter, and the deadline a little more flexible.

The rules:

To enter, you just need to make a post in this thread,
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=42220
stating that you are competing, and you are in. In your post, tell us your location and a little about yourself.

Friday April 8th, I will post the theme of the contest. This is a guideline you must follow or adapt to your movie. It will be pretty broad, giving you lots of room to work with. You then have until Friday April 15th to shoot, edit, and post your video on the web. When your film is complete and ready for viewing on the web, you email me the URL to your video, which I will forward to the other judges (this is to make sure the judges get to see your movie before mass response blows your bandwidth out). Once we have all seen your video, I will make a post with everyone’s URL in DVinfo so that everyone can review your work. Winners will be announced on Sunday.

The genre of our first competition will be: ANY. That's right, anything goes, comedy/action/drama/documentary, etc... as long as you stick to the theme.

You are entirely responsible for putting your film up on the web. We cannot help you with this, but we will provide some info to help you. If your film is not available for us to see at the scheduled time, it is not our responsibility and you are out of judging. You may not show your film to anyone before the judges see it.

The duration of your film must be under 3 minutes, including titles. There is no penalty for films considerably shorter than 3 minutes, so you can enter with a 30 second film if you like.

YOUR FILM MUST BE ALL NEW MATERIAL. A significant part of your score will be on the use of the theme. If you shoot ahead of time, and ditch the theme, you will lose.

All levels of competition are welcome, from highschool to Hollywood. There may be categories in later competitions.

Although this is a contest to get us all out there making movies and polish our skills, a little competition makes it a little more fun. Videos will be judged in categories to be announced. Winners may receive a certificate hot off my printer. DVinfo moderators may enter, but will not be considered for judging.

You retain 100% ownership of your film, and are 100% responsible for its content. If you plan on using copyright music or material, be prepared to provice proof that you have the rights to use it.

Deadlines:
The deadline is midnight, Pacific Standard Time, to email the URL of your film to me.

Please feel free to email questions/suggestions to me at dylancouper@hotmail.com
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Wrangler

First question answered:
No, you will not be judged on camera/picture quality. Whether you shoot on HDV or a $500 one chip camera makes no difference. The story you write and the way you deliver it will represent the majority of your score. Production value will fit into your score, but the camera itself is not important.
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Question: (I emailed you Dylan, but no reply)

Can we get the theme on a US/Canada THURSDAY? Some people in the world (NZ included) are ahead of North America in days (20 hours ahead in NZ) and because a lot of us will work, we can only shoot weekends. Therefore, If the comp started Thursday US time, it'd be Friday here and we could write friday night, shoot weekend.

Aaron
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Wrangler

To answer a few more questions:

Aaron (I did get your email), valid point indeed. This is one of the reasons this first competition is our trial run. :)

I could possibly post the theme Thursday at midnight, which would give most of the rest of the world at least Friday evening to work on it. Since most of us in North America will be sleeping/working, it won't give us that much of a time advantage. Granted, you will have an extra half day advantage submitting your film, but I think we'll let that go this time in the name of fun.

To address another question, I am planning on keeping the judges secret until the day of judging. This will keep sucking up to a minimum. ie... if you know Chris Hurd will be judging, you might be tempted to make a movie about how great Texas is... :)

I will post the criteria for judging before the competition begins. I'm just trying to decide between two methods.

As for prizes, since this is FREE, and our trial version, prizes for the first one are simply going to be certificates, hot off my laser printer. If it works well, we'll see about a prize for the next one.
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Chris Hurd is a judge??? There goes my steers and queers theme... hehehe
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:28 PM   #6
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Chris Hurd is a judge??? There goes my steers and queers theme... hehehe -->>>

Not necessarily. Just an example. :)
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Wrangler

I've split this thread into a seperate one for signing up.

Please sign up in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=42220

We'll keep this one for updates/comments/questions, etc...
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM   #8
Trustee

Cool. OK, can you let me know what your decision is on the start time thing? If I can get a full weekend, then I can be in and then get my team together, if not will have to give it a miss this time.

Aaron
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:46 PM   #9
Wrangler

I will post the theme Thursday night in North America, so you will have at least from 8pm on Friday night. You are in!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:37 AM   #10
Trustee

Groovy. Can't wait! Does the US go all Daylight savings or something soon?
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Daylight Savings...

MOST of the US went on at 2:00 am April 3rd. (Today.) I think only Arizona and Hawaii did not go to Daylight savings.
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #12
Major Player

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I wish I had my camera already. I hope you do this often. As big as DVnet is, I bet there is going to be some serious talent shown here. I can't wait to get my gear (soon I hope).
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #13
Wrangler

Who needs a video camera? I'm shooting mine on the movie mode on a digital still camera.

If we get enough regular interest, yes, we will be doing this again, sooner rather than later. :)
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #14
Trustee

Dylan, that's what I was hoping. This was announce, and is going to be up and running, really quickly. Doing this regularly would be awesome. Makes me get off my arse and start shooting shit!

Aarno
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #15
Wrangler

QUESTION: Regarding the theme, is it something that I'll be able to do even with just a handycam and myself as a crew in my own house? I don't have much time.

ANSWER: YES! Absolutely! One of the goals of this challenege is to level the playing field as much as possible between amateurs and professionals. Although you will be able to take the theme and run with it as much as possible, you'll also be able to shoot it in your own home, with just yourself and a camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge