Dv Challenge #2 - Rules at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old June 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Wrangler

Dv Challenge #2 - Rules

DV CHALLENGE #2

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the second episode of our digital video challenge. This challenge, although hosted by DVinfo, is not an official DVinfo event, but an individual challenge amongst members, hosted by myself. Thanks to Chris Hurd for letting us do this here.

Our second challenge follows the rules and format of the first challenge.

The rules:

To enter, you just need to make a post in the sign up thread (look above or below this thread) stating that you are competing, and you are in. In your post, feel free to tell us your location and a little about yourself. If you post an intent to compete, but end up not entering, or not making the deadline, YOUR NAME WILL BE ADDED TO OUR WALL OF SHAME. Names will stay on the wall of shame until you compete in a following competition.

6pm PST, Thursday, July 7th, I will post the theme of challenge #2. This is a guideline you must follow or adapt to your movie. It will be pretty broad, giving you lots of room to work with. You then have until midnight Friday, July 15th to shoot, edit, and post your video on the web. When your film is complete and ready for viewing on the web, you email me the URL to your video, which I will forward to the other judges (this is to make sure the judges get to see your movie before mass response blows your bandwidth out). Once we have all seen your video, I will make a post with everyone’s URL in DVinfo so that everyone can review your work. Winners will be announced on Sunday.

The genre of our second competition will be: ANY. That's right, anything goes, comedy/action/drama/documentary, etc... as long as you stick to the theme. To give you some idea, the theme of Challenge #1 was "Trapped".

NEW: There will be a sub category of judging! Besides the main round of judging, there will also be a technical category! This is separate from the main judging. Films will also be judged on use of a technical aspect of filmmaking, such as editing, specific cinematography, foley, costumes, etc... THE TECHNICAL CATEGORY WILL BE NAMED AT THE SAME TIME THE THEME IS GIVEN!

You are entirely responsible for putting your film up on the web. We cannot help you with this, but we will provide some info to help you. If your film is not available for us to see at the scheduled time, it is not our responsibility and you are out of judging. You may not show your film to anyone before the judges see it.

The duration of your film must be under 3 minutes, including titles. There is no penalty for films considerably shorter than 3 minutes, so you can enter with a 30 second film if you like.

YOUR FILM MUST BE ALL NEW MATERIAL.
50% of your score will be on the use of the theme. If you shoot ahead of time, and ditch the theme, you will lose.

All levels of competition are welcome, from high school to Hollywood.

Although this is a contest to get us all out there making movies and polish our skills, a little competition makes it a little more fun. Winners will receive a cheap paper certificate hot off my laser printer. DVinfo moderators may enter, but will not be considered for judging.

You retain 100% ownership of your film, and are 100% responsible for its content. If you plan on using copyright music or material, be prepared to provide proof that you have the rights to use it.

Deadlines:
The deadline is midnight, Pacific Standard Time, Friday July 15th. to email the URL of your film to me.

Scoring:
50% on use of theme, 50% on production value. Technical theme is judged separately. Awards to Best Picture, Runner Up, and Best Use Of Technical Theme.

Please feel free to email questions/suggestions to me at dylancouper@hotmail.com
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A month!

Not sure if it is a problem with others, but waiting a month, or signing up over a month in advance for this seems a bit excessive.

I was expecting a theme in about a week, like this Thursday or Friday, not July 7th. How many of us know what we will be duing a month from now, and if we will have time. Hell, at 57, I may not be alive by then!

Just my two cents.

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Mike,

Because I'm no "spring chicken" myself, I laughed at and empathized with your remark! However, it may be that picking a timeframe is a no-win situation. If I remember correctly, there were people who felt bad about Challenge #1 because they didn't have time to see the post and enter. This way more people will have the opportunity.

Personally? Even though it's not great timing for me, I'll go for it just because it's fun. And if something goes wrong and I end up on the "wall of shame," well--I just do!

I hope you'll give it a go. It's a lot of work, but last time my friends and I had a blast!
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, I like the greater lead time. In terms of lining up crew and talent it is pretty key.
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #5
Major Player

How do you sign up without knowing the theme? I'd like to sign up, but if the theme does not trigger my imagination? :(
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for the reply Lorinda. You are probably right on the time, but it is hard to wait. I'll spend my time studying I guess. Best of luck!

Mike
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin Rotaru
How do you sign up without knowing the theme? I'd like to sign up, but if the theme does not trigger my imagination? :(
I suspect that's why its the DV Challenge instead of the DV Contest :)
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Not sure if it is a problem with others, but waiting a month, or signing up over a month in advance for this seems a bit excessive.

Mike
Mike, want to know the truth? :)

I wanted to run it by now, but I've been out of town for the last week, I'm back for 5 days, then I'm out of town on a different gig for another 10 days. That brings up to the end of June, and I certainly wasn't going to schedule this to run through the July 1st / July 4th holidays. The following weekend was the next best time.

Quote:
Cosmin, if everyone knew the theme, they could start shooting it right now, and take a month to do it, taking the challenge out of it.
The theme will be VERY broad. Look at the last one with the theme of "trapped" and the variety of entries we had.
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #9
DVCreators.Net

Can I offer a prize to make things a little "more interesting"?
Maybe Chris will throw in one of those cool LED flashlights he was giving away at NAB too :)

-Guy
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #10
Wrangler

You bet! Just shoot me an email!
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #11
New Boot

I look forward to it
Chase Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #12
Major Player

"Cosmin, if everyone knew the theme, they could start shooting it right now, and take a month to do it, taking the challenge out of it."

I understand. But is it still possible to sign up AFTER the theme is announced?
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I certainly can relate to that!

Quote:
"Mike, want to know the truth? :)

I wanted to run it by now, but I've been out of town for the last week, I'm back for 5 days, then I'm out of town on a different gig for another 10 days. That brings up to the end of June, and I certainly wasn't going to schedule this to run through the July 1st / July 4th holidays. The following weekend was the next best time."
I was gone for most of the month of May, and the first five days of June, so I know how it is.

Thanks Dylan, and what format do you suggest for the post so that the most viewers can see it---Quick Time?

Thanks-----Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; June 14th, 2005 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Figured out how to use the quotes!
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin Rotaru
"Cosmin, if everyone knew the theme, they could start shooting it right now, and take a month to do it, taking the challenge out of it."

I understand. But is it still possible to sign up AFTER the theme is announced?

I'm thinking about it. On one hand, if someone just found out about the competition and wanted to enter late, I'd think about letting them enter, since there is no advantage. However, what you are asking is "can I wait until I see what the theme is, and if I like it, I'll enter", which is against the spirit of the challenge, so I'm tempted to say no. I'll think about it for a few days, but I'm leaning towards no.

Really, the theme will be so broad that you shouldn't have a hard time coming up with a few minutes of video to wrap around it. Those of us who compete in 24 and 48 hour competitions have no problem shooting 6 minute pieces that require us to jump through all kinds of hoops (using music, props, locations, detailed themes, sub-themes, characters, etc...) which I hate.

This contest is more about just getting people out and doing it. If you complete a project, you are ahead of those who didn't try.
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Thanks Dylan, and what format do you suggest for the post so that the most viewers can see it---Quick Time?

Thanks-----Mike

If it was me, I'd use Quicktime.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge