DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC17 After-challenge Mini-film festival!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/466869-dvc17-after-challenge-mini-film-festival.html)

Lorinda Norton October 31st, 2009 10:20 AM

DVC17 After-challenge Mini-film festival!!!

You are in for a HUGE treat this Halloween!! Andris Krastins and Jeremy Doyle both ran with their DVC17 trailers and completed full short films! Well done, gentlemen!

In addition, Jeremy added a great zombie short that he posted on the Show Your Work forum a couple months ago. It is highly entertaining--worth the repeat if you’ve seen it already.

Then there’s Jesse Steele, who kindly said yes to having a short film he knocked out this past week posted here for you to enjoy. It had me laughing out loud.

Sit back and enjoy these films, courtesy of some great guys. And thank them by posting your comments right here!

Jeremy Doyle
“Honest Work”

Andris Krastins
“Dead Bridegroom Takes Away the Bride”
YouTube - Dead Bridegroom Takes Away the Bride (short film; eng-subs)

Jesse Steele
“How To Get Rid of a Banshee”
YouTube - How to get rid of a Banshee

Jeremy Doyle
“Expiration Dates”
YouTube - Expiration Dates

Craig Bellaire October 31st, 2009 01:15 PM

Jeremy Doyle “Honest Work”

Very Nice Work... I liked it a lot...

Andris Krastins October 31st, 2009 04:30 PM

great fun!
and that banshee... I now just want to go around and do that scream onto people :D
thanks, all!

p.s. If anyone's interested, I uploaded a soundtrack for my little film with full versions of the songs: http://our-fire.net/pub/Dead%20Bride...soundtrack.zip
(completely legal, we made them)

Robert Martens October 31st, 2009 11:38 PM

Jeremy, really incredible movie!

I couldn't stop laughing during Honest Work, your writer's got some choice lines in there; "arm wrestle for a Peterbilt" and "shut up, Kevin Federline" were my favorites. Every one of your actors was exquisite, they all seemed extremely comfortable in their roles, from the young version of the clerk and the daughter with the M&Ms, right on up through the adults in the film. Excellent casting choices, though I do wonder how one tactfully goes about finding the right "gas station bathroom hooker". Approaching a woman you know with "we think you'd be the perfect choice!" for a part like that doesn't strike me as a good idea.

The bit with the teenagers had me in tears when the clerk looks up from the magazine they drop on the counter. The music stops, he's got the perfect expression on his face, and the kids look back at him with the most self satisfied smiles I've ever seen, it was brilliant!

Production wise, I have no complaints. Your dolly/stabilizer moves, whichever they were, flowed beautifully and didn't appear to get in the way of the actors' movements. The little twirl the daughter threw in there was a nice touch, too.

I do have to ask, did your crew have any trouble working in a convenience store with that (presumably fake) gun? I see you were able to show it very selectively, hopefully well out of sight of passersby, but I still find myself curious. Did things go as smoothly as they seem to have?

As for Expiration Dates, I touched on that one when you first posted it, but I watched it again and have to reiterate how much I love the film. Greg Calhoun and his "arches" hand gesture get me every time. I also only now notice that when Jen puts a finger to Alex's mouth to shush him she's actually lifting her wrist with her other hand. It slipped by me last time and was a pleasingly silly extra bit of character.

Andris, it looks like that light worked out for you! The graveyard scenes were dark, but appropriately so, and I was able to make out the action just fine. Did you end up mounting it on the camera, or was it attached to a stand of some kind?

The heartbeat sound effect was creepy; my first time watching the film I didn't notice it until about the time we see the girl sitting at the piano, and it caught me off guard. I got goosebumps when I finally heard it. Also on the subject of sound, your score was noteworthy. My favorite is "Mirusais precinieks" (iGoogle's translator tells me that's "The Dead Suitor" in English, is that accurate?), particularly that pulsing sound effect we start to hear at about 3:40 in the film. Thanks for uploading the whole soundtrack!

My only criticisms would be the scenes in the bathroom and by the piano. For the bathroom, I think maybe the shots were a bit too wide, if you framed them a little tighter they might seem a bit more cinematic, and with less distortion. As for the piano, I thought it was a little jarring to see the bride playing the instrument, only to watch her get up and leave while the music kept going. I thought the piano was supposed to be what I believe is called "source" music at first, only later realizing it wasn't meant to be part of the onscreen action. Those are minor complaints, though, well done on the movie, I'm glad you finished it!

Jesse, I'm sorry my comments are getting less detailed as this post goes on, but I haven't got much advice here: I love your banshee. The hair, the outfit, all those little facial tics (the ones at the end, with the book and beer bottle, are my favorites), and of course the breathing. Was that a sound effect you added in post, or did you actually record her breathing like that on set? Whatever you did, you did it well. I've watched your movie half a dozen times already, I just can't get enough of this character.

Of course, all of your other actors were great, too. Funny performances all around, even from your four legged friend, how did you get the dog to run away like that? And did I pick up on a little Chris Crocker from the roommate in the bathroom? "Leave me alone!" and whatnot, I loved it.

If I were to suggest anything, I'd recommend maybe reframing some of the shots, but the more I watch the film the more I like the way you handled the scenes, and the more I realize I can't come up with any better solutions than you did. Specifically the pan over while the woman's on the phone with her mother, how you caught the banshee's head just up there in the corner of the frame? The entire shot was great, but that gentle tilt as you move over did a lot to add to the whimsical feel of the whole movie. I don't know if you intended that or not, but it stood out to me as a very effective technique.

All in all a nice set of movies, congratulations all around! Extend my compliments to your casts and crews as well, if you don't mind, everybody did a wonderful job here. I'm just sorry I didn't get off my keister to contribute something for this. Better luck next contest, I suppose.

Andris Krastins November 1st, 2009 06:37 AM

Thanks for your comment, Robert!

I got an on-camera LED light. In some of the scenes it's on the camera, in others held in hand by an assistant. I used two of the old shots, which were shot under flashlight, and they are by far the worst looking, so the light worked for me, yes. :)

Song title means Dead Bridegroom in Latvian, but I can see how it can be translated also as Dead Suitor.

Oh, and thanks for your critique! You are right, of course.

Jeremy Doyle November 1st, 2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Martens (Post 1441020)
I do have to ask, did your crew have any trouble working in a convenience store with that (presumably fake) gun? I see you were able to show it very selectively, hopefully well out of sight of passersby, but I still find myself curious. Did things go as smoothly as they seem to have?

The gun was the real deal. We only took it out of the car for those view shots than wrapped it back up and put it back in the car. We only used it for about 5 minutes. It wasn't really a big deal. We did keep it out of sight of any customer and used it discreetly. Like I said in the thread about the trailer... The biggest hassle was shooting while the store was open so anytime someone came into the store we had to stop shooting. In all it took us about 7 hours to shoot the convenience store stuff. Had the store not been open to the public I'm sure we could have done it in half the time. It really lead to a lot of down time on the set.

Jeremy Doyle November 1st, 2009 08:02 PM

Jesse - That banshee was hilarious. I loved the sound effect. It was perfect. I found it replaying in my head a lot since watching this. Basically every time someone says something I don't like. Very nice. Good job and putting something together.

Andris - I'm glad you finished your short. I especially like the camera work and I think it certainly benefited from reshooting with lights. It was a very compelling story.

Lorinda Norton November 1st, 2009 10:35 PM

Jeremy....you and your team knocked it out of the park with Honest Work. Here I was absorbed in the story-- feeling pretty much in awe of the detailed production--then that ending came from nowhere and bowled me over! It’s a great story and so much more complex than we first expect, especially after watching the trailer.

As Robert mentioned, this film is full of great lines and humor. One part that cracks me up every time is the lead’s donut offense followed by the diatribe about how filthy his hands are by the end of the day.

Loved looking back on the hints we were given; interesting that those were the exact places that had me scratching my head the first time through. Nice.

Had a couple questions regarding the restroom scene but have decided I don’t want to know. Nice cameo, by the way. ;)

You guys have formed a great team here with your camera work combined with the talent the others bring.

HOWEVER...from a pure enjoyment standpoint my favorite is still Expiration Dates! I love that film!

Nice work, Andris! This folk tale was sufficiently creepy, thanks in part to the bridegroom’s facial expressions once he was back from the grave. My favorite shots are still those used in your trailer--you really know when to slow down the action for effect.

I think it wrapped up a little too quickly for me, but I can’t think of what could have been added. Also, forgive me for being slow, but can you explain something for me? Did he know all along what would happen to her, plan to drag her down with him anyway, then have a change of heart? (If a dead guy can have a heart...I guess he can!) :)

Jesse, as everyone else has said, your banshee so totally and completely stole this show it’s not even funny. It’s hilarious! You all did great work in your supportive roles, however.

The scene that tickles me time after time is one with the banshee waiting in the pantry to hand over the coffee. Funny!!

So is that the dog you adopted from the shelter? He’s a prize!! And a great actor, too. :)

Jesse Steele November 1st, 2009 10:46 PM

LMFAO Jeremy

That was fantastic! What are you shooting with? The dolly shots were superb and the writing was excellent!..."Not the change scrooge McDuck!" hahahahahhahaha

That was top notch stuff my friend! All I could think was This was another take on Clerks,..... then you knocked it out of the park with the ending! Perfection. I love that watching it the second time reveals little hints that they are not the real clerks after all! I am impressed.

And thank you for the kind words! The Actress playing the Banshee was spot on wasn't she! I made the noise for her scream by slowing down a pig's squeal and adding in a crocodile hiss, harsh wind and a cat hiss. All of the breathing was done by the actress. I just boosted it in places where it was inaudible.

Kudos
Jesse

Jesse Steele November 1st, 2009 10:48 PM

Capt. T VonPooch

Yes Lorinda that is the Mutt! he is a champ! Thank you so much for the kind words. I'll let the actress know that was your favorite part. she came up with it on the spot and I added it cuz it seemed like a good suggestion.

I don't remember who asked it, but I was hiding in the bedroom and as soon as she let the dog off the leash I called to him and he ran to me.

thanks again.
Jesse

Jesse Steele November 1st, 2009 10:58 PM

Zombie

Very well shot and acted! I'm impressed! I loved the audio cues for the different suspenseful shots. Like the neighbor appearing behind the trashcan lid. Very well done.

Jesse Steele November 1st, 2009 11:08 PM

Andris

Very Creepy! Great cinematography to lend to that as well!. My favorite shot was the flowers being put on the grave. good stuff! My advice would be the same as everyone elses.

But very very strong piece. the audio was noteworthy!!

Congrats!

Andris Krastins November 2nd, 2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

I think it wrapped up a little too quickly for me, but I can’t think of what could have been added. Also, forgive me for being slow, but can you explain something for me? Did he know all along what would happen to her, plan to drag her down with him anyway, then have a change of heart? (If a dead guy can have a heart...I guess he can!) :)
Lorinda, the problem is with the script itself - the original folk tale is even shorter and I didn't expand it enough.

In the original folk tale the dead bridegroom from the beginning wants to discourage his bride from going with him in death and beyond, because it's not for the living.
In my script the dead bridegroom also battles with his undead urges to tear her apart and the human side eventually wins.

Mike Horrigan November 2nd, 2009 09:45 AM

I'll watch and comment on the ones here shortly.

Mike Horrigan November 2nd, 2009 09:47 AM

Well, I couldn't post mine here as it would DQ me from the other festival but I am allowed to send you a link to it over there.

Happy belated Halloween!
It's called ONE PERCENT.

DVX Fest - Monster Fest 2009
Click the link, wait a sec, and the quicktime will automatically load.

Hope you like it. Use headphones if you have them. Or at least a speaker system with sub. :)

Mike