DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Next DVC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/476471-next-dvc.html)

Andris Krastins April 8th, 2010 02:41 PM

Next DVC?

When will the next DV Challenge be? I'm dying in anticipation and checking this forum every day!
You could even organize it without any pricey prizes - it's the fun of creation and participation that's worth it more than anything.

Ben Robbins April 8th, 2010 05:35 PM

I'm with you Andris! I've been doing a lot of film work, but there's nothing like having a friendly contest with a set theme. I'm ready to go whenever you guys are.

Lorinda Norton April 10th, 2010 05:43 PM

You guys are so right! Give us this next week at NAB where we will be engaged in serious discussions about the Challenge. :)

My hope is that we will have DVC 19 in early or mid-May, which would mean a sign-up pretty darn soon. But that's just me, so try to be patient a little longer, fellas!

Shaun Roemich April 17th, 2010 11:03 PM

Sooooo...... any ideas?

Lorinda Norton April 18th, 2010 12:26 AM

Dylan told me to give him another day to recover from NAB. That was yesterday. You live a lot closer to him than I do--go rattle his cage and tell him it's time to get going! :)

Shaun Roemich April 18th, 2010 01:17 AM

Considering how fond I am of BOTH of you after NAB, I'm not going to be the one to pit you two against each other... <laughs>

Dylan Couper April 18th, 2010 10:23 PM

Oh, it's coming... and it's going to be cool.
Details soon...

Dylan Couper April 26th, 2010 08:33 PM

Hey, what do you guys think of the name: DV Challenge PRO?

Andris Krastins April 26th, 2010 11:36 PM

For me "pro" sounds too grand considering my humble skills. :) But that's just me.

You feel the name should be changed?

Mugurel Dragusin April 27th, 2010 12:45 AM

Dylan might be on to something here, with PRO being the goal of the DV Challenge :) We DO learn lots of things here.

Bill Thesken April 27th, 2010 01:35 AM

Okay, how about a corporate sponsor, like the BHPhoto DV Challenge, or the DV GO PRO Challenge, or a roundabout challenge where a different sponsor like Video Guys puts their name up as a sponsor on the first day of sign up.
I'm a newbie, and I signed up for these challenges for the comraderie, and to challenge myself to go out on a limb to create without much pressure. Mostly for a low key atmosphere to present a production that would be judged by others with the same ambition. This is like training for a sporting event. Call it whatever you want but bring it on. At some point in time we should all get together for a big production:

'DVChallenge.com - The Movie'

Shaun Roemich April 28th, 2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Thesken (Post 1520077)
Okay, how about a corporate sponsor

My understanding is that Guy Cochrane has been supporting the DV Challenge from Day One.

DVeStore at DVcreators.net

Met Guy at NAB. FANTASTIC guy, great deals and great advice. And a supporter of DVInfo.net

Lorinda Norton April 28th, 2010 10:33 AM

Here’s my two cents: Who does the Challenge most want to attract? Those who have already decided that they are serious filmmakers and want to practice making festival-worthy films, or those who don’t know and want to give it a try--with the chance of winning some great prizes to help them along the way? Maybe a name change wouldn’t make a difference, but I have to wonder because of the reply Andris gave if it would alienate or chase away the latter.

I love to see the first-timers who sign up because it’s free, because it’s fun, and because it’s a safe place to jump in and take a stab at making a short film. Then I also love the old-timers (heh) who keep the community together, plus the ones who get better at storytelling with each try. And then I love it when the heavy hitters come in and blow us all away. But maybe they don’t mix well...I don’t know. Or maybe I'm reading too much into the word "pro."

All that said, my choice would be to leave the name alone. For one thing, it’s long enough as it is; for another, I’ve always thought it was perfect. For yet another, because I’m a Vegas user the new name sounds a bit like software to me. :)

Chris Barcellos April 28th, 2010 11:26 AM

I am with you Lorinda. Not sure why a name change is needed.

The thing about DVInfo.net is it is a mixing and melting pot between serious digital film makers, who are that way by avocation or actual profession. I think most of the DVChallenge participants are the former, many with aspirations to become the latter. Use of a "Pro" designation would discourage many, giving the impression this is a pro only competition. The mix of participants is really great in this competition, and certainly, you wouldn't want to discourage competitors from entering, as the trend of actual submission has been downward somewhat.

Perhaps Dylan is concerned about attracting prize contributors, by enhancing the image of the competition. This is valid concern. But it is my belief that it should be pointed out that for every pro participating on this board (defined as one who makes a living solely in production) there might 5 who are making films for the love of it, and finance that with outside incomes....in many cases, incomes that can afford to buy more equipment than a struggling pro.

Robert Martens April 28th, 2010 12:21 PM

I'm operating under the assumption that Dylan's suggestion was a coy hint at whatever's going to make the next contest "cool" (they're all cool, so when he says that I take notice). I haven't been able to figure out what the clue means just yet, but I doubt he actually plans to change the name of the thing.