DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Dvc 18 - sign up thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/477957-dvc-18-sign-up-thread.html)

Dylan Couper May 1st, 2010 10:55 AM

Dvc 18 - sign up thread

Welcome DVC'ers. This one is going to be different. :)

For years, we have run the DV Challenge as a way to drag you off your couch, kicking and screaming, and forced you to get some scuffs and scratches on that big shiny camera of yours, by making a short film.

We will not be making short films this time!

Why not? Because most of us here are in the video production world (or want to be!) We shoot event videos, news, corporate videos, instructional videos, promotional videos, sports videos, and so on.

This DV Challenge will reflect that!

This time you will out and make a 3-5 minute video in whatever area of the video industry you choose! These absolutely can be FICTIONAL videos! You can make a corporate video for a company that doesn’t exist, a trailer for a sports video you’d love to shoot, an instructional video for a product that hasn’t been made. The goal is to get experience doing something you want to be doing. The prize, besides fame and glory, will be announced shortly!

For those who haven't done a DVChallenge before, how does it work from this point?

First, sign up in this thread to throw your spear in the sand and compete. The challenge begins Thursday May 13th when we announce the theme (note: on this one, the theme won't be a theme as usual, but may be a specific challenge or goal your video must achieve, meaning you can probably start writing your script, but better not shoot it until the 13th :)
From the theme announcement, you have until midnight, Sunday June 13th to write, shoot, edit, and upload your “pro” video to Youtube or Vimeo, and email the link to us at thedvchallenge@gmail.com

From there, we will “screen” the films on DVinfo over the following week, where they will be judged on the following criteria:

1) Effort. We applaud effort. You don't have to have a studio behind you, just put in the blood, sweat and tears, and it will get your closer to the prize.

2) Script. Make us laugh, make us cry, make us sit on the edge of our seats. Do all three at once and you can’t lose. Just don’t bore us.

Professionals vs. amateurs.
Since this forum is packed with pros shooting on high end gear, how can you, the amateur, compete?
Let me assure you, we the judges don't care if you've been doing this for 30 years and have a multi-million dollar studio, or if you've shot your whole project on SD camcorder. We only care about 1) the effort you put in... and 2) how good a script you've written. We do our best to level the playing field.

Now… no more excuses. You have more camera than you need to win, just write something based on the resources and help you have handy. We’ve pulled these competitions off in 7 days… over a month is plenty of time to complete an entry.

So... do you want to be a filmmaker or just a camera collector? :)

Robert Martens May 1st, 2010 11:43 AM

Well I can't say I'm interested in pursuing an event video career, but with the inclusion of corporate and industrial video production, I've got some ideas percolating already; I'm in, maybe I'll get out of my slump with this one.

Congratulations on seven thousand posts, by the way!

Chris Barcellos May 1st, 2010 11:58 AM

I will give this a shot... Let see,,,,,, instructional video.... hmmm. Got and idea......

Jeff Hendricks May 1st, 2010 12:40 PM

I'll play...

Clint Harmon May 1st, 2010 03:34 PM

Of course I'm in. I do have a few questions though...

So once the theme (or requirement) is announced we have to produce something that we "can" or do actually do professionally. My only concern is some videos we do to pay the bills have no prelude because eveyone getting the end product knows a background to the video. Can we include a brief text opening to inform the viewers of the situation?

Although I do not film weddings, can a wedding videographer submit a wedding video that he/she shot between may 13th and june 13th?

Bill Thesken May 1st, 2010 05:03 PM

I'm in.....

Mugurel Dragusin May 1st, 2010 05:16 PM

Consider me in on this one.

Ben Robbins May 1st, 2010 09:53 PM

So, if we were actually pursuing something along the lines of a fictional narrative filmmaker, would that be valid.

I enjoy crafting a story from scratch and going from there. What exactly are we limited to?

I'm in either way.

Shaun Roemich May 1st, 2010 11:54 PM

BRING IT ON!

Translation: I would certainly like to be considered for your quaint competition so please do count me in.

Um Dylan, can I borrow some of your guns?

Andris Krastins May 2nd, 2010 01:34 AM

I'm in.
Thinking promotional sports or instructional science video. Maybe a music video. Are music videos valid?

Graeme Hay May 2nd, 2010 08:10 AM

I'm In! This month shall be a busy video month!

Alex Chamberlain May 2nd, 2010 04:48 PM

Aye! And may the farces be durned what try ta beset me!

Mat Thompson May 2nd, 2010 04:57 PM

I might just throw my hat in on this one !

Andrew Hood May 2nd, 2010 06:29 PM

New spin on the old contest. Count me in.

Dale Guthormsen May 2nd, 2010 07:06 PM

Good Evening,

well, I gotta be in this, open ended enough I have no excuse.

Now, writing scripts, HUMMmmm??

supposed to be a challenge!!

Dale Guthormsen