And the winners of DV Challenge #2 are.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #16
Wrangler

if there was an award for "Biggest Judges' Pain the the A**," mine would assuredly have won hands-down! thanks to them for their patience and forbearance.

the biggest prize in taking these challenges on is learning something new each time. for my little video, i:

1) tried shooting with my steady stick, which has been in a drawer for about eight months. decided it is not as steady as i would like it to be. or maybe i need more practice. better than pure handheld, though.

2) learned a new motion and compositing special effect in FCP

3) made a first short narrative (most everything i've done in the past is documentary in nature)

4) learned a whole new (and long overdue) skill set in learning web delivery and its do's and don't's--and managed to post my first online video

i don't know of many prizes or awards which could mean more than the sum of learning all of that in a week. let's do it again....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
Also, I'm not sure it's correct to call some entries "pro" and some "amateur".
AH, I totally mislead you with the "pro" & "amateur" statement. My bad. I should have said simply, "I'm thinking of having a first time filmmaker category."

There, how's that? :)
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #18
Wrangler

Oh yes,
if you won anything, e-mail me your address!!!!
Old July 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #19
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
AH, I totally mislead you with the "pro" & "amateur" statement. My bad. I should have said simply, "I'm thinking of having a first time filmmaker category."

There, how's that? :)
That's cool - I heartily endorse a first-time filmmaker category (or an under 18 category).
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #20
Trustee

Yeah, it almost comes down to how many catagories can the thing support. I agree that a 1st time at bat thing might be good, as long as that doesn't leave you out of the main catagory. Like me, I could have won the first timer award but would I have still been eligible for the overall or other catagories? I would hope so.

The under 18 idea hits a chord as someone else mentioned that there is a distinction in styles for various ages involved. I never would have thought to go comedy for "Secrets" as my age and nature dictate I look for dark clouds rather than funny silver linings. I am not too sure that's age related but I think it probably is. I am 44, going on 23 (but my wife says it's more like 17)

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #21
Wrangler

I'll start a new thread on possible rule changes for the next one so we can get back on topic here. :)
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:10 AM   #22
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I just got back from a job, and have been reading the long list of replies to this thread.

To be quite honest, I'm in a mild state of shock (kind of nice actually).

I know that I should come up with some fantastic speech or something, but I'm having trouble finding the keys to express myself.

I think the best thing to do, is to start a new thread, and blubber there.

Thanks to everyone. I am greatly honored by this.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:20 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran
I would really like to acknowledge one that did not win, but was top game in my book because of how easy it would have been to cut based on the footage acquired and how it was produced. Jon Jones' "Secret Recipe" stood out in my mind as a strong candidate for Best Cinematography. Watch it again and look at the composition of each shot. Really nice use of the rule of thirds. Lot's of close-ups.

Thank you so very much for your kind acknowledgement, Guy. It was very nice to read, as well as some very helpful tips on the piece itself. I recieved other tips from judges and folks on the forum, and I closely studied techniques that I hope to learn from. I think the judges did an excellent job - an I am excited that I am getting great info to work with. Thanks again for your post.
-Jon
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #24
Major Player

Ok,
Can we see all the videos of those that won?

We newbies can learn something you know.

I think they have a thread revealing all the videos that won on DVXUSER.NET.

Can we too have something like that?

..and just incase I am not looking at the right thread, can someone please post the link(S) here please?.

Thanks.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniola Akintoye
..and just incase I am not looking at the right thread, can someone please post the link(S) here please?.Thanks.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47857
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge