Listing of what you used in DVC2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 21st, 2005, 07:27 AM   #16
Trustee

Man those were great. Pixelvision. I never had one but would love to find one. Synonomous with photography and the old "Diana" cameras. Cheap plastic 35mm cameras with plastic lens that gave a sort of soft, ethereal quality to B&W.

If you find one, let me know.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM   #17
Contributor

Dylan or Sean,

I've got one if you want it to try it out. I bought it at a flea-market here in Frankfurt years ago. I can't really use it effectively because it's NTSC. Of course I modified it so that it can record to a recorder with an analog in.

But Dylan, since it is a collector's item, it may not be suitable for your trying to make a point about shooting with low cost equipment.

I shot "The Hitherto Unknown Secrete Function Of The Manfrotto 501" with:

XL-1s............................................................................3000 €
FS-4.......................................at DVeStore........................749 $

Manfrotto 745B with
501 head mounted to
a pivot cup taken from a
Manfrotto 701RC2 head (used mostly as a prop)..........around..300 €
Sennheiser HD 25-1 Headphones...........................................149 €

Maglight with LED attachment..................................around.....40 €

Edited: with FCP5
Motion Titles: with Live Type
Audio Post: Soundtrack Pro................................software.....1076.72 €

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM   #18
Major Player

For "The secret of Ale Stones" i used:

Canon Xl-2
Tripod (dunno brandname)
Adobe Premiere Pro + After Effects
Iriver H320 MP3-player (+recorder)
Audio Technica ATM-31 microfon (old)
Yamaha W7 (keyboard)
Steinberg Cubase with some virtual instruments
M-Audio 1010 LT soundcard
pen and paper (to write script)
Word (to write a readable script)
A big smile and a lot of patience.
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM   #19
Trustee

For 'Secret Recipe' we added a mix of quality and cheap. As far as locations - we scouted a low traffic spot for the street scene, used a simple hammer and nails and a generic lost dog poster printed in Print Explosion.

For the house shots, we used my in-laws home-while they were away on vacation - the shot was not entirely 'sanctioned', my father in-laws workshop is perfectly organized and spotless - he knows when anything has been touched, so we had to crew members follow 'the kid' around while he was 'cleaning' the workshop to make certain everything he touched was put back where it came from. ( A Slightly Stressful Shoot )

As far as equipment:
Canon XL2 with stock 20X lens
Promaster Tripod with Velbon Head and Canon Quick Release Plate
On-Camera stock Mic (audio was dubbed in so talent stood close to camera for audio capture)
Red Radio Flyer wagon (for tracking during the street scene - we didn't have a dolly)
no-name LED flashlight to hi-light the knife from across the room for the knife close-up.
iMovie 4
GeeThree Slick iMovie plug-ins
MovieEdit 3D
(The wagon was really bumpy, and even though a crewman sat in it with the camera to weigh it down, the footage was still bumpy so I had to stablize and zoom for a clean shot)
Quicktime Pro (to compress)
Powerbook G4 running OS 10.2.8 (Jauguar)
LaCie external Firewire HD - 250 gig

Although iMovie gets laughed at by the pro's I am quite impressed with it's abilities. Although I am fairly new to professional digital video, I have worked with media for over 20 years, mostly cutting audio for use in video such as tv commercials, indie film, and convention visual presentations. When I say cutting, I mean cutting - I worked with tape, film and razor blades back in the day. But sitting at an editing desk playing around with an Italian opera at Abbey Road Studios in London way back when - with an experimental project done on a computer system...just blew me away, and told me that this was the future of media design...even though there was a crew across the hall - still making a master plate for a finished LP prepping for vinyl. (sheesh)

When I returned to media work after a career hiatus, imagine my surprise to discover digital video. I made several fun projects in recent years with a simple digicam with a 10 second movie mode, and cut them in Quicktime. Very cheap, but fun. I fell in love with iMovie when I first played with it. It is an amazing tool for the simplicity of edits, and a few transitions. Leaves my days of razor blading in the dust.

I LOVE MY XL2... but I am still a huge proponent of using cheapo stuff to push its limits - so although I am now playing around with the Production Suite (Final Cut Pro HD etc), I am still working on some hobby projects with low end cams, including snapshot digicams, even my motorola phone camera, and free software to push the envelope and see what I can do with it.

(Not to mention that as I am always working out the kinks in the newest app updates and Tiger - I always like having the basic suite of quality free media apps to fall back on in a bind - for simpler projects, the workflow with iLife is hard to beat. I just keep reminding myself "couldn't do that with a razor blade..and I was good." As I am still getting up to speed with the high-end stuff, I am finding that iLife, along with good business sense, and strong technique does indeed pay the bills. )

Just my two cents
-Jon
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #20
Trustee

Daniel, how did you modify the Pixelvision? Add an RCA jack for the output?

Might be a fun thing to play with. Out of curiosity, what, in US dollars if you know the conversion rates, would you like for it?

Thanks,

Sean

Old August 9th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #21
Contributor

Hi Sean,

There used to be a few Pixelvision web pages... here, I found one - it might even be the one I used to see how to modify mine.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~joem/Pxl/

I used an old oscilloscope to find the point on the EC board where the video signal was coming from and soldered a lead to it and then one to the chassis.

As far as selling it ... I've never seriously thought about that, I'm kind of an idealist when it comes to stuff like this (I'm a lousy businessman). The truth of the matter is that since I have had the Pixelvision, I have never managed to do anything sensible with it. The one year I went to Sudance, I saw a nice short shot on the Pixelvision. I've kind of dreamed of doing something like that with it, but realistically, I know that I won't ever manage it.

If you are really interested, I'll send you my Pixelvision, as a, lets say permanent loan. With no strings attached. That means I will trust you to treat it as if it were your own, including if you duct tape it to your crane and smash it into tiny bits while trying to get a really nice shot. Because it could have happened to me.

OK one string; I would like to have the option to ask for the Pixelvision back, if I find I can't live without it for some reason in the future.

OK another string; if you find someone else who would like to play with it (like Dylan) you would give them the Pixelvison under the same conditions.

What do you think? It's better than having the thing gather dust here in my lab.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Just saw this thread.

Just in case anyone cares about what equipment I abused:

XL1s, stock mic
3X lens
Bogan 3030a tripod with 503 head
HP computer
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
12-pack

Hopefully I'll make better use of it next time.

Mike
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #23
Trustee

Ever heard of Linux? Very much the idea behind open source software. You can change it to your liking but you have to aknowledge the originator and make it available to anyone else that would like your derivitive.

I am going to let you see if Dylan would want to make it work for him, as far as I know, it may be as good as his future XL2. (I'm a Sony guy, does it show?)

Anyway, I am very grateful of your offer. We have a small museum here at work including things like various RCA record players, Wollensak video players, film cameras, etc.

I am actually thinking seriously about shooting a short with my phone. Just got a new Motorola with video and added a 512M memory card. Got room for lots of tiny footage. If I can figure out how to get it into the Avid, might be cool. First short shot on a camera phone? First one to use a Glidecam and crane maybe?

I would love to play with the camera for a while. I have to look up your profile. Are you here in the states?

Edit - Doh! I see in your sig file you are in .de land. Postage may be an issue but I would be willing to take care of that if it isn't too hefty.

Sean

Old August 11th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #24
Wrangler

I'd love to try out the Pixelvision, but I'll let Sean have first go at it.

Actually, I've already chosen an.... *alternative*.... type camera for my next DVC film. No spoilers, so don't ask. :)
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #25
Trustee

Daniel is planning on sending it to me. I thank him for this opportunity to test this device.

After I give it a good testing, as is Daniels wish, I will pass it on to the next deserving, eager tester. Looks like Dylan is next. We should start some sort of diary and send it along with the camera. I would suggest slapping those country stickers on it but it isn't that big.

I can't wait to test it out. I'll post some footage when I get the chance. I'm still planning to shoot some "Blair Witch" like project with my camera phone. I found a way to convert those tiny videos to an editable format. Seems a strange thing to edit it on Avid Xpress HD however.

Sean

Old August 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #26
Contributor

Pixelvision on the go

Hi,

I have started a new thread with this topic - on "the TOTEM Poll"

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....35&postcount=1

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge