The Daily Production Rant - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Ok...good news and bad news...the good news is that I got quite a big promotion at work. The bad news is...well...I got quite a big promotion at work and have had NO downtime yet. I see that deadline getting closer and closer and I am praying I will have some time on my ONE day off to at least put something together to avoid the wall of shame on my first time out.

No promises though...Wish me Luck!
Matt Portwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #17
Trustee

One scene left to shoot, pretty simple one once I find the right location.

Well, I was bragging to my crew I didn't need the whole 4 minutes to tell this story, so imagine my surprise when I finished editing what I had and with one scene left that has to be there, I was looking at 4 minutes and 38 seconds on the timeline (without credits).

After some "major surgery" I'm down to about 3 and a half minutes, the credits will roll past the last scene and it will come in at exactly 4 minutes. Having to trim here, trim there, and then some more actually improved the "pace".

Good luck to all of you, and Tim, keep after it. Do what I've seen you do and "come through".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #18
Major Player

Well done to everyone who's already finished their shoots! Much more organised than me.

I've had to scale things back a bit 'cos my boss has suddenly decided this is the week he wants me to re-edit a feature script :(

But... I've gone to the effort of building a snorricam and am determined to use it. So... I'm going to put my thinking cap on and try and shoot a little monologue with an actress friend. Already have the seed of an idea and am determined to avoid the wall of shame!
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #19
Major Player

Right. Have had very productive few hours. Have had new much better script idea. Have two actors, make-up, locations, composer and shoot date pencilled in for saturday. Very, very excited :)
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #20
Wrangler

That sounds great, Henry! I'm excited for you. Wishing Matt luck, as well!

Talk about a new experience. I've got actors, locations, and almost there on props. Waiting now on a script! Is it me or are we going about this a bit backwards? :)
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:06 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Way to go everyone.... And Lorinda, it sounds like you're doing Apocalypse Now. You can worry about the script when you start shooting!

Have just started editing. Pleased with the titles at least... now the hard part: whittling all the footage down to the allotted time. It's kind of like trying to pack everything into a suitcase after a vacation -- it never fits.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM   #22
Major Player

Lorinda, looks like actor availability means I'm going to be submitting on the edge of time. It will definitely be in your inbox for 9am monday though...

Last edited by Henry Williams; October 21st, 2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: hadn't checked my facts properly
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM   #23
Major Player

I'm afraid I'll have to join the wall of shame this round too. Currently sitting in airport - express working trip to Belorussia. Maybe I'll shoot smthing with my mobile if I get any ideas. :D
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, my following of the San Francisco Giants <yeah!!> have cut into my production time, and with a long lost friend of my wife coming this weekend, I don't have much optimism about get a film out...
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Burleigh View Post
...it sounds like you're doing Apocalypse Now. You can worry about the script when you start shooting!
That's about how it's going to be. But, we've suddenly got a co-director amongst us so I'm backing clear away and doing more technical things; therefore, it's not my problem. ;)

I'm attempting to make my own masks because they need to be originals. Having flashbacks of my 8th grade art teacher pulling me aside and asking me not to sign up for her class the next year...

Oh, Henry...now where did you find a 9 am Monday clause? What Dylan and I have done, in our supreme benevolence, is say that IF someone is having render/upload problems we'll let it pass as long as it's in the inbox by the time we wake up on Monday. But what if I happen to wake up at 2:30 a.m.? :) Try to get it in by midnight PDT if you can, dear. Some of us pull all-nighters on Saturday to get it done in time.
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
UGH!

I'm out.

Fourteen hour days (YAY!) and then road work.

Wall of Shame Threepeater here!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:50 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I'm amazed. I'm in the final straight on not only my first dvchallenge entry, but my first EVER short video film I've made. It may not have the quirky confidence of a Paul Thomas Anderson or the production values of Ridley Scott, or even the budget of that small mattress company advertisement I once had a part in (I was in the mattress costume; I fell over on cue). But it's there, whittled down to just fit within the allowed time, glued together with scenes of loss, triumph, lust and transformation. From the theme of masks, is born my little "Catnip", and to my stupefaction I believe I'll even have the edit finished today, ready for upload....

Be kind to this dvchallengevirgin. It's a first toddler step for me, and a huge leap away from being known as mattress boy for the rest of my film career.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:23 AM   #28
New Boot

It snowed here this morning, and kind of ruined my plans for the day. :( Most of the 2-3 inches is gone now though, so maybe this afternoon I'll be able to do something towards my entry... :)
Timothy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #29
Trustee

Done!

Uploaded and link emailed.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM   #30
Major Player

Sorry, Lorinda. I'll submit by the required Sunday evening deadline.

Last edited by Henry Williams; October 22nd, 2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Henry Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge