DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Poll - your vote needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/49259-poll-your-vote-needed.html)

Dylan Couper August 12th, 2005 07:10 PM

Poll - your vote needed

Should DVinfo moderators (obviously not the ones judging) be allowed to compete, not just enter?

Yes or no.

Feel free to e-mail me at thedvchallenge@hotmail.com to place your vote.

Jimmy McKenzie August 12th, 2005 07:34 PM

Dylan, I can't believe you are asking such a question. But since you now have a committee and a constitution that oversees the rules that govern the contests, I understand the motivation.

Open to all. Including moderators.

Judges not included.

Perhaps the entrants can submit using a numeric identifier that keeps the big dogs anonymous.

Mike Teutsch August 12th, 2005 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=Jimmy McKenzie]

Open to all.

Judges not included.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure that I understand this last post, does he want you in or out, but I say bring it on! I enter this and compete to learn, and you guys are some of the best to learn from. No offense Dylan, but you are not Steven Spielberg, and even if you were I don't care, enter!!!!!!!

You have used five judges in the last two contests, and I don't think there will be a bias in that.

Come-on, all enter. Express yourselves!

Mike

Michael Gibbons August 12th, 2005 08:26 PM

I think it's a great idea, Dylan. If the whole point of this is for people to get out and shoot, then the more the better.
I don't care about anonymity.
I don't even care about winning. As soon as you hit the lights, roll tape and say action you've already won something better than any prize package, or award.

I don't even care if the judges compete. I'm sure some sort of alternate judging system could be worked out wherein this could be made to work.

More entrants, more films, more fun.

Mitchell Stookey August 12th, 2005 09:11 PM

Yes......need ten characters

Dylan Couper August 12th, 2005 10:39 PM

I'm only taking a public opinion poll in case someone had some fair objections to the DVinfo mods competing. The judges of course can not compete.... Not until Canon starts putting up XL2's as prizes. :)

So far, including the emails I got, it looks like everyone wants a chance to take a crack at the DVinfo mods on the field of battle...

Why do I see a Mods vs. Members battle in the future?

Patrick King August 13th, 2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Why do I see a Mods vs. Members battle in the future?

Dylan,
I think that's a great idea, but you'll then have to include Member (non-Moderator) judges to maintain balance and objectivity. Right?

Bradley L Marlow August 13th, 2005 12:15 PM

I agree

I'm new here but agree that the moderators should be able to compete. I think it is a great idea and echo the sentiments already expressed that this is a learning experience.

The "DV Challenge", as the name implies should be just that...a great challenge.

Best wishes!
Bradley

Daniel Kohl August 13th, 2005 03:52 PM

I think this is already been decided - but I am definitely in favore of universal eligibility. I even think Judges should enter - and then be subject to a popular vote from all non judge participants. There could be a catagory: "best judge".

(But I am assuming that it is enough work just judging something like this, that the judges wouldn't be interested or have the time to do both. - unless they have no real lives, that is)

Mike Teutsch August 13th, 2005 07:23 PM

I also think that everyone should be able to enter. After all, we were even trying to find a way to get Ron Howard, or other pros to enter so why not moderators. And, why not judges? I, for one, would not question their integrity.

Mike

Sean McHenry August 13th, 2005 10:43 PM

I don't see an issue with anyone entering except the judges. Other moderators, don't see any reason not to let them have a crack at it. It's not like all the moderators ever even met each other really.

And Michael Gibbons, I wonder how many folks know that movie? One of my favorites.

What movie is this one from... "Snake Pliskin, I thought you were dead."

The character name's a give away.

Dylan, get someone else to judge for you this round and join the fray.

Sean McHenry

Jeff Sayre August 14th, 2005 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Should DVinfo moderators (obviously not the ones judging) be allowed to compete, not just enter?

Yes or no.

Feel free to e-mail me at thedvchallenge@hotmail.com to place your vote.

Yes, non-judging moderators should be allowed to compete.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 14th, 2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Yes, non-judging moderators should be allowed to compete.

I agree. I am actually very interested to see some stuff from the moderators!

Dylan Couper August 14th, 2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
I agree. I am actually very interested to see some stuff from the moderators!

Rob and I did enter films in the last one!

Ok, looks like it is settled, moderators are in...

Sean, maybe sometime in the future I will compete under a pseudonym.

Daniel Kohl August 14th, 2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I don't see an issue with anyone entering except the judges. Other moderators, don't see any reason not to let them have a crack at it. It's not like all the moderators ever even met each other really.

And Michael Gibbons, I wonder how many folks know that movie? One of my favorites.

What movie is this one from... "Snake Pliskin, I thought you were dead."

The character name's a give away.

Dylan, get someone else to judge for you this round and join the fray.

Sean McHenry

What movie is Michael quoting? Yours is "Escape from NY" am I right?