DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Sign up for DVC 20! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/495415-sign-up-dvc-20-a.html)

Lorinda Norton May 4th, 2011 08:30 AM

Filmmakers, it's time to shoot something! First-timers, old-timers and everyone in-between, this is the place to sign up for The DV Challenge and see what you can do. It's fun, fast, friendly, and it's free! Doesn't get any better than that.

Challenge starts Thursday, May 19 and films must be submitted to Vimeo or YouTube by midnight PDT on Sunday, June 5. That gives you eighteen days from the time you get the theme to run with it and make something great.

Sound like fun? Then do it! Let's make DVC 20 the best one yet!

EDIT: For those of you who are new to the Challenge and don't know the rules, please check out post #15 in this thread. And then join in the fun! :)

Marc Burleigh May 4th, 2011 08:34 AM

Re: Sign up for DVC 20!

I am in, most definitely. Looking forward to a new challenge. Thanks Lorinda, Dylan.

Henry Williams May 4th, 2011 09:10 AM

Im in! Many thanks to everyone for putting the comp together as always. And thanks for the generous deadline, even though, inevitably, I'll leave the whole thing till the last minute again and be running round in a blind panic on June 4th ;)

Now I just have to think of more Lovecraftian horrors to film...

Chris Barcellos May 4th, 2011 10:34 AM

For old times sake, I will give it a shot again.

Jesse Steele May 4th, 2011 11:51 AM

if i can find the time im in!

Andris Krastins May 4th, 2011 01:44 PM

I'm going through difficult times, but I will participate, if I'm able to.
Or maybe for the hell of it. Anyway, I'm in. :)

Thank you for organizing this!

Henry Williams May 4th, 2011 06:01 PM

Sorry to hear things are bad Andris, but really looking forward to your entry after the very atmospheric piece you came up with in the uwol/dvc charity comp.

Stephen van Vuuren May 4th, 2011 06:29 PM

I'm in - of course, my freelance one week out of town shoot I'm sure will end up scheduled in this time period, but that will just make it more interesting. First time back since 2004 or 5 or whenver this thing started.

Jay Kavi May 4th, 2011 06:54 PM

I'm in. To get my lame butt off the freakin' wall of freakin' shame.

Mitchell Stookey May 4th, 2011 07:11 PM

My team is in! We can't wait, and we will actually have time to dedicate this go round as well!

Bruce Foreman May 4th, 2011 11:15 PM

Count me in.

Ruth Happel May 5th, 2011 04:09 AM

I'll give it a try.

Dick Mays May 5th, 2011 08:03 AM

New acting class, so I am in!

Marc Burleigh May 5th, 2011 01:29 PM

Wow, quite a turn-out already. This DVC is going to rock. Henry, glad to see you on board. Andris, sorry to hear things are looking down.

Unfortunately I won't get to use some footage I recently shot, I guess. There the drama was all too real, and there were several close calls. I'll post it here anyway, just to show what a pocket camera can do in the right situation (Panasonic premieres ZS3 / TZ7 with AVCHD lite video: Digital Photography Review) -- it was all I had on me at the time!

Lorinda Norton May 5th, 2011 09:57 PM

Very compelling footage, Marc! And you're right; you couldn't use any of it in the challenge because of the rule stating that all footage has to be shot within the challenge dates.

It's probably about time we dug out the rules and posted them again. We do stretch them from time to time--mainly the total length of the film and the amount of time given to complete. But these are the basic rules:

The maximum duration of your film is three minutes, plus an additional 20 seconds for credits. You ARE allowed to use part of the additional 20 seconds for your film if you need it. There is no penalty for films shorter than 3 minutes, so you can enter with a 40 second film if you like.

Your film must open with a title reading "thedvchallenge.com presents" Please note the URL is "thedvchallenge.com" and not "dvchallenge.com" You may use any font, in order to make it congruent with the look and feel of your film.

All good stories need a good title! Your film must have a title which must show at the beginning of your film following "thedvchallenge.com presents"! Whenever you email us, please include the title. It makes life so much easier.
Please, do not make the title the same or similar to the theme. If the theme is “cats”, don’t call your movie “Cats”, “The Cats”, or “A Cat”.
Very descriptive titles are good as it helps your film stick out in the judges minds when trying to remember which film is which. Films titled “untitled” will be frowned upon.

WEB VERSIONS
You are entirely responsible for putting your film up on the web. If your film is not available for all to see at the scheduled time, it is not our responsibility and you are out of judging.

We strongly request that one version of the film you submit be on Youtube or Vimeo for quick and repeated viewing, as well as long term archiving so that people will be able to watch it for a long time after the challenge is over.

You are welcome to host your own high resolution version of your film for people who prefer to watch a higher quality version.

We will post up to a total of three versions so the audience has several viewing options.

Please do not post links to your film publicly before we officially release it in the week following the deadline. After the deadline, we encourage you to promote it as much as you can.

DEADLINE
When the theme is announced on a Thursday, the deadline is 11:59:59 PM Pacific Time the following Sunday night (10 days later). We often grant a few extra hours of leeway to those who submit it late into Sunday night, as long as the link is in our inbox by Monday morning.

CONTENT
YOUR FILM MUST BE ALL YOUR OWN MATERIAL, or you must have legal right to use it, such as copyright free music or properly licensed music. You must credit any other artists in your credit roll.

YOUR FILM MUST BE NEW AS OF THE START DATE. You cannot use video shot before the start date of the challenge. You may not submit a film that you shot previously. Some exceptions may be made for royalty free stock footage on a case by case basis. Royalty free music is excluded from this rule.

Photo montages and animation (including stop-motion) are not acceptable as submissions. Films may include photo montages and animation in limited quantity if it is critical to the story.

Visual effects of all types are allowed.

You retain 100% ownership of your film, and are 100% responsible for its content.