DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Clarification of DVC Rules (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/50710-clarification-dvc-rules.html)

Jeff Sayre September 7th, 2005 10:59 PM

Clarification of DVC Rules

Dylan:

The DVC rules clearly state that "YOUR FILM MUST BE ALL NEW MATERIAL." Now, supposing I were to shoot all new footage, not using any of the old footage or animations from Gardens of Tomorrow (GOT), would it be "legal" to create Part II of GOT?

I'd like to continue the story--and the challenge of learning more animation and green screen techniques. Also, I think it would be very interesting to see how the old theme of secrets would mesh with the soon-to-be-announced theme.

I have not signed up yet, but I'm on the fence and have dreams of green screening this weekend.

Jeff

Scott Hebert September 7th, 2005 11:14 PM

Personally i dont see any problems, if its just a continuation, as long as the judges can understand it as just something by itself

Dylan Couper September 8th, 2005 12:01 AM

Jeff, that's cool.

I for one would really like to see more of that story.

Jeff Sayre September 8th, 2005 12:04 AM

Okay, I guess I need to fall of the fence and turn my back on my regular work! Do I really need sleep?

Andrew Paul September 8th, 2005 03:06 AM

Also depends on the new theme, it would be interesting to see how the storyline transfers to the new one.

Hugo Pinto September 10th, 2005 03:40 PM

1 more doubt

Dylan (et al)

Call me dumb, but I still have a simple doubt:

...are we ending the DVC3 deadline at 23:59:59 (just before midnight...) of which day? Thursday or Friday? Or, in other wording, can we deliver the goods on Friday night?

Cheers

Hugo

Jeff Sayre September 10th, 2005 09:08 PM

Hugo:

The official ending is Friday, September 16 at 23:59:59 PST. This means one second before Saturday. You must have not only posted your piece on a website by then, but also emailed Dylan the link.

Hugo Pinto September 11th, 2005 09:24 AM

Jeff, many thanks!

How's it going with GOT #2? I confess to being a fan of your first one.

I´m late as hell, finished the script in the morning, will start shooting NOW. Unexpectedly, I´ll be having a 2nd unit (using some very primitive means) for part of the footage, so I hope it helps the schedule.

Hugo

Jonathan Jones September 11th, 2005 11:21 AM

Don't sweat it Hugo, I haven't even started. I am hoping to find time this afternoon to sit down to do a script and storyboard as well as find out if the actors I am hoping to use are up for it. I am only typing this now because I am waiting for a project due tomorrow morning to render a particular clip - so if I am able to produce what I have in my head for DVC 3 by Friday night, it will be pretty cool and a partial miracle.

oops, gotta go, render done. Back to work.
-Jon

Dylan Couper September 11th, 2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
The official ending is Friday, September 16 at 23:59:59 PST. This means one second before Saturday.

Correct! Thanks Jeff.

Jeff Sayre September 11th, 2005 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugo Pinto
Jeff, many thanks!

How's it going with GOT #2? I confess to being a fan of your first one.

I´m late as hell, finished the script in the morning, will start shooting NOW. Unexpectedly, I´ll be having a 2nd unit (using some very primitive means) for part of the footage, so I hope it helps the schedule.

Hugo

Thanks, Hugo! We're actually going to start shooting green screen in about 30 minutes. We are setting a slow pace so as not to kill ourselves in the heat.

For GOT2, the entire short will be shot in front of green screen--all 3 minutes and 59 seconds. Yes, we're taking all the time we can to push the story along. There will be more animations and some attempts at nested green screen composites. And of course the theme off "cameras" is key to this segment.

I'll let you know how the day turns out! I'm off to the set.