DVC3--I'm finished and Posting Today! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #31
Major Player

Well not at the moment anyway... if someone gets a big lawsuit make sure we all get to know about it! :) Oh.. and btw... it's not legal to use someone elses music in your video without permission. I think someone did that in DVC #2...
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #32
Trustee

OK, even closer now. I have 5 versions on the laptop at the moment. I think you guys are going to like this one. The music really makes this one work.

I will tell you guys my secret to finding music AFTER we are done with this one. It's too good to keep to myself, although I should. More later.

This will end up on the new web page but here is the list of the equipment I am using for this short. Rebuilt the main editing PC but am using the laptop so I can do some work at lunchitime at the Panera near work.

Camera is the tried and true Sony PDX-10. As always, 16:9 and DVCam.
Century .65 HR Wide Angle adapter lens for some shots.
Cinetactics MatteBlox soft Matte Box.
Bogen 3211BN Sticks and 501 head.
Varizoom VZRock zoom controller.
Longer life battery (forgot the model number) and AC.
Sony PVM-8022 color video monitor.
HP zv5340 Pavillion laptop (768MB RAM, 80GB HD, nVidia MX2 video, etc.
Shop light from Lowes. The flourescent type with 2 tubes at 5400K.

That's it for this one.

Need a few sound effects, convert a few sections of an old VHS and get a roll of B&W film developed and I should be done.

Good luck everyone.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #33
Major Player

"Aaaaargh" just haven't been able to come up with anything "doable" in short space of time.... case of everyone being busy, and the concept being a pain to get our heads around.... like writing a song about music :)
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #34
Regular Crew

I`ve put it all together on timeline and am rendering for the music guy to put it to music. Yipeeeee. This is my first challenge and although, brain blasting, wont be my last.

Hope you`re all keeping sane and enjoying yourselves :-), see you at the deadline.
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #35
Major Player

We probably did the last shots today. I am really excited to cut it together and hand it in. This project went from something like "omg, camera, how the f-word can I do something about that" to "hmm.. this could work" and now "wow! this works". I can't wait to edit it... ooh.. i am so excited.. almost like x-mas... :-)
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #36
Regular Crew

so im going to start today, i had lots of trouble with this topic, so i was sitting in class and was just like f-ck it im going to work on it right now so i did, and i got an idea, drew a storyboard, i think i have something that is maybe doable i will have it done by friday, might not be a winner but o well it will be fun!
Scott Hebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #37
Regular Crew

ok i just got the funniest new video idea(i wont make it though and hopefully this doesnt spoil anyones ideas), so you show a guy working on fixing a camera. A canon xl2

then he gets black spray paint ;)
and paints it all up
then he gets an hdv sticker and puts it on. If i had an xl2 it would surly be a winner :>
Scott Hebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #38
Wrangler

8:45 pm tuesday, and i just e-mailed my link to dylan.

started this morning with only the vaguest idea of what i wanted to do. dug some more junk out of my basement. tore the house apart looking for appropriate backdrops. and i now have a complete 3+ minute film on the web. it's not bad at all for a one-day wonder.

this morning, i was all %#@$&$@*@ this @#$%$#@ thing, why did i sign up for it, anyway, as if i needed more challenges in my life.

and now i'm all purr, purr, purr. i'm so glad i did that.....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #39
Major Player

I am not in the Challenge this time, but it is so funny reading your posts about how everything is going. Ahaha, hang on you are almost there !
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hebert
ok i just got the funniest new video idea(i wont make it though and hopefully this doesnt spoil anyones ideas), so you show a guy working on fixing a camera. A canon xl2

then he gets black spray paint ;)
and paints it all up
then he gets an hdv sticker and puts it on. If i had an xl2 it would surly be a winner :>
It could be called "One day at the Canon Lab". And afterwards they go drink coffee and play poker or surf the net... wonder if they need another employee... :) I guess you also heard of the mockup of the Canon HDV-camera at the IBC-convention...
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #41
Major Player

Whew!

That is an understatement...I'm exhausted! It is 10pm Mountain Time 9/14/2005. I too have just e-mailed Dylan the link to my movie.

What a great experience! Nothing like the fellow who is on a 3500 mile road trip but drove 180 miles to one location in the Big Horn Mountains, 75 to another (my friends house), was lucky enough to have a couple friends there that were very willing to be in this picture. My 3rd actor didn't pan out, so like Dylan, I threw myself into the role. My friend and star got a crash course on the camera and he was 2nd. That was cool.

Was packing around home made equipment that I'd been building for the last 35 days or so. The little truck was jammed...my entire life was in there (half of it is still in there...lol). Dirt and soot was everywhere. Weather was tricky. Had to shoot very early and very late in the mountains. Fortunately, the rains were intermittent. The day we wrapped, the rains came crashing down.

Equiptment used for this shoot:

Thank you Dan Selakovich for the Book: Killer Camera Rigs That you Can Build- I couldn't have got some of these shots without this great book. www.DVcameraRigs.com

A Canon XL1-S that I bought here from a member of DVinfo a few weeks ago
Bogen Tripod
Home made Crane
Home made Dolly
1 Britek 650W Light, 1 gel, 1 barndoor, 1 Britek 300W light
Macintosh Powerbook© and Final Cut Pro HD©
Apple's Garage Band© for writing the opening sequence of music
www.stockmusic.net where I paid $29 for the legal rights to one piece of music that plays in the film (I looked around and this was a good experience for me)
Various props (cameras and film of course)
A carton of cigs...lol
2 cans of chew...lol

and now I must sleep!

Best wishes to all...and to all a a great plight

Last edited by Bradley L Marlow; September 14th, 2005 at 11:04 PM.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #42
Major Player

I am uploaded and completely done. I kept it real simple and had fun. It was a joy to go through the steps of this creative process and see a complete short finished that quickly. Good luck to all!
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #43
Trustee

11:06 pm

We have wrapped principle photography, My co-director/writer/lead actor has begun the rough cut of the movie. I'm writing (or attempting to write) the music. I have no idea if we'll finish in time, but we got out and shot something and learned a whole bunch, well at least I did. I think there should be an extension to the deadline when canon releases a new camera though.

Also strange event, lost a hard drive today. It was a seagate 146 scsi and is still (I believe) under warranty, fortunately we didn't have media on it, unfortunately it delayed some other wise worthwhile editing time. OH well.

good luck all hopefully I won't see you on the wall of shame.
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #44
Major Player

Sean, Give Up Your Secret!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I will tell you guys my secret to finding music AFTER we are done with this one. It's too good to keep to myself, although I should. More later.

Sean
I need MUSIC!

My kids really came through, but adding a little background music would be nice...
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #45
Major Player

Music

Hi Dick,

As mentioned above, I wrote the opening sequence of music on Garage Band© software but was too tired to do it for the rest of the film. Like you, I needed some music for the rest of the piece.

I found www.stockmusic.net and purchased the rights to one song. It was $29 and everything is legal.

Maybe that will help?
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge