DVC3--I'm finished and Posting Today! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 15th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #46
Wrangler

www.freeplay.com for free music. i can generally find something there. may not be perfect, but the price is right.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #47
Major Player

Friends... I just finished and handed in my contribution. Wow.. this was tougher than last time. So now I can sit down, relax, open a beer and ooh... wait! Now comes the time of nail-biting, nervousness... ohh my god.. well, I am looking forward to see all your contributions during the next week! :)

/Fredrik.
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #48
Trustee

I used to use Freeplaymusic.com for a lot of simple stuff. I even downloaded the entire site and put it to DVD.

Now I have another great source. Requires a bit of searching but it's amazing. I'll spill my guts tomorrow about it.

I have another issue now that you guys might be able to help with. This one's legal. I have been advised both directions in this issue. Here goes.

In shooting this little short, I decided it would be perfect to use a bit of dialog from a 1960 Paramount movie and a quick glance by the lead actress to her TV screen where we see a short shot from the film. Overall it's less than 1 minute total of audio and less than 5 seconds of video. Would this be considered incidental, like a coffee canister on a counter top or a car logo if we were shooting out in the street?

Yes, it does help out the idea of the film significantly, at least to me but I could use a lot of clips from almost anything to get this effect. It just happens this clip is right on the money for this.

I actually called Paramount Licensing and left a Voice Mail for the head of the department explaining what I was attempting to do but have not heard anything back. On the Paramount site it says, in effect, they only consider licensing issues for on-air television. That being the case, I could say that they seem to not care about us little film contest entrants and our little productions so they won't even bother with us. The other side is they could be telling us, no way so don't even ask.

Is this a short enough clip and incidental enough to not worry about? At worst, I would have to act it out or a "similar" scene and fake it on the TV, etc. I could do that if time gets too tight.

What do you guys think? Dylan?

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Is this a short enough clip and incidental enough to not worry about?
I have heard somewhere that it's okay. I can't verify it legally though. I have an idea where a guy is watching TV and I wondered if I had to pay a lot but I shortly read something afterwards that it was okay legally. It all depends on country of course.

To be safe however you can go to archive.org and download a public domain movie and show that instead. I found a real good Humphrey Bogart movie there.
Fredrik-Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #50
Trustee

The big problem there would be, I would need to cross referance all the dialog in a film and be able to search for key words, like "camera". I just happend to know there was a lot of talk of cameras in this particular film. That's why I am trying hard to justify using it here.

The Pelinger Archives are great for finding old stuff. I downloaded some of the stuff on the Atomic Bomb a while back, converted it to MPEG2 and made a DVD for my daughter to take to school for a project. Took a bit of doing and MP4 isn't an archival resource but it looked OK for what it was.

Duck and cover.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Now I have another great source. Requires a bit of searching but it's amazing. I'll spill my guts tomorrow about it.

I have another issue now that you guys might be able to help with. This one's legal. I have been advised both directions in this issue. Here goes.

In shooting this little short, I decided it would be perfect to use a bit of dialog from a 1960 Paramount movie and a quick glance by the lead actress to her TV screen where we see a short shot from the film. Overall it's less than 1 minute total of audio and less than 5 seconds of video. Would this be considered incidental, like a coffee canister on a counter top or a car logo if we were shooting out in the street?

Yes, it does help out the idea of the film significantly, at least to me but I could use a lot of clips from almost anything to get this effect. It just happens this clip is right on the money for this.

I actually called Paramount Licensing and left a Voice Mail for the head of the department explaining what I was attempting to do but have not heard anything back. On the Paramount site it says, in effect, they only consider licensing issues for on-air television. That being the case, I could say that they seem to not care about us little film contest entrants and our little productions so they won't even bother with us. The other side is they could be telling us, no way so don't even ask.

Is this a short enough clip and incidental enough to not worry about? At worst, I would have to act it out or a "similar" scene and fake it on the TV, etc. I could do that if time gets too tight.

What do you guys think? Dylan?

Sean
Sean,

If you had given up your great music source, I would say you're okay, good to go, no problemo, but now...

It is obvious copyright infringement and completely WRONG!!!!
:)
Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Well everybody I'm finished and it should be getting posted on the web tonight by my good friend by tonight. I am very satisfied with what I got. Although having my friend play the piano worked out okay but he messed up a few times and I wasn't there for the recording, so my music isn't the best sadly :( But it still is pretty good. I look forward to seeing everyone else's work.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #53
Wrangler

Sean, I'm not sure exactly how it works into your film. Just submit it as you see fit, and I'll review it from there. The thing I want to avoid is people using other people's work to make theirs better, like with music. If it doesn't affect the overall strength of your film (like it's in the bacground) then it's cool. Otherwise I'd have to see it.
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #54
Major Player

Okay, it's been a long week. I have spent way too many hours on this. Yes, it's my fault. I decided to go over the top with Tron-type VFX. I kept on getting new ideas and instead of saying "enough," I basically decided I didn't need to sleep.

Well, my movie is finished except for the score. I'll work on that tomorrow, encode, and then post.
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #55
Trustee

My movie is completed!!!
Dylan, I emailed you the details about the movie and the link to this address: thedvchallenge@hotmail.com

Is it OK?
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #56
Major Player

I'm done, but problems posting

Humm...

I follow the QuickTime instructions and get a 70M file for my 3.5 minute movie. Real Player gives me a good looking 6M file, and Flash give em a decent 11M file.

Was planning to post to OurMedia, but the 11M file had repeated problems. I did upload the Real player file, but have been unable to view it.

Suggestions appreciated.
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I don't know if this is allowed. But rapidshare.de can host any file up to 50 mb with unlimited downloads. The only catch is when you go to the link you ahve a to wait usually about 20 seconds until the download link comes up. Check it out, should work good.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #58
New Boot

I had so much trouble encoding to Quicktime and getting decent results. I think in the end I went with Unconstrained rather than Basic 50 kb, and got a decently small file size that looked okay.

Hostrocket has free hosting that seems to work pretty good. It's 25 megs of space and 2 gigs of transfer.
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #59
Major Player

Thanks Elvis

The unconstrained bitrate produced a smaller QT file. Still, it is twice as big as the Real Media file and doesn't look half as good.

My experience has been WMV >better> RealPlayer >better> Flash >better> Quicktime.

At least for smaller sized files. I suppose it's not quicktime, but the Sorenson codec being measured here.

What makes Quicktime so popular?
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #60
Regular Crew

They are more universal. People with macs have trouble playing wmv's while both pc's and macs can easily play quicktime.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge