DVC3--I'm finished and Posting Today! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #61
Regular Crew

i think quicktime is so desirable because it works on both mac and pc quite well and i also believe it comes standard on both
Scott Hebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #62
Trustee

Dylan,
First, cool. I'll post it as is. In looking it over in FINISHED (yipee!) form, it isn't so noticable after all. Lends great ambiance however. Also, I know I didn't get your check to you yet, I been busy making a freaking movie here... but seriously, it honestly is on the way. Enough to cover the basics and a bit extra. Buy yourself a bottle of Baileys. That's what I would do.

My QT file, produced from Sorenson 4 comes out to be about 8M+ for a decent looking file. I modified the basic 384K preset for less on audio and more on video quality. I think I may have made it mono also. Still a bit stuttery. I am rendering out a 512K version too. We'll see how big that is in a few minutes. It will take about 7 minutes on the laptop to render.

On the web page I will include a few photos of the setup and some other behind the scenes stuff as well. You will be able to find it at http://www.surgetechservices.com/smchenry/ near midnight.

Dylan, I will e-mail the direct link to the movie or you can pull it from there about the same time, midnight or earlier Ohio time. I'll e-mail you officially in either case.

The verdict is in, the 512K streaming QT file, in 16:9 naturally comes out to be 10.7 Mb. I might just use that one.

Looks like I am going to need to resurect the old Linux Helix server and start hosting these myself again.

So anyway, I'm officially done with editing. Now it's writing the web page and posting the critter. I hope you all like this one. By the way, I changed the name, not just for Dylans sake, but the new name made it more interesting. See if you guys can figure this one out. Now called "Frame 37".

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Posting today...

Well, I started with one idea thursday night, had another bigger one friday, then over the weekend all of the folks I was hoping to help, were suddenly unavailable. So Sunday night I wrote another script that used my son and my dad. Since this destroyed my weekend buffer to shoot this, I had to do all filming during the week after work. That was tough. Doing a movie all by myself was a rough experience. Next time, I need to schedule some friends to help... :)

Luckily, I was able to finish something. I pulled an all-nighter last night to edit it. I think I am happy with it, considering it was such a lonely filmmaking adventure.

-Josh
Josh Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #64
Trustee

"And I'm spent"
Austin Powers

So, I'M DONE!

Dylan, you should have an official e-mail all about it - if I used the right address this time. The hotmail address, right?

So, who want's pie?

Sean McHenry

Old September 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Oh my so Dylan I just realized that somehow the kid didnt upload the file to the server right. So I am going to email you a rapidshare hosted link so you can see it properly. The kid uploaded for me so It cuts off early for some reason and jsut crashed the media player. Im not late so I should be good.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #66
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Johnson
Luckily, I was able to finish something. I pulled an all-nighter last night to edit it. I think I am happy with it, considering it was such a lonely filmmaking adventure.
Nobody should have to be a lonely filmmaker!! Wish I could share, Josh; I've got five guys over here with hurt feelings because I didn't include them this time. (Why are younger guys such hams? :)

Despite one idiotic mistake after another--like recording over irreplaceable footage, etc.--my little movie is on its way to thedvchallenge@hotmail.com. My Web server, which almost never has a problem, had a big one today so a friend had to bail me out.

I keep telling myself, "These challenges are really fun!!!" (Actually, they really are.) :)
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #67
Trustee

OK, let's get this straight now. You're an attractive woman. (I've been to your site) And you're complaining because you have 5 young men sitting with you that want to do anything you script for them? Is that about right?

OK. I don't get that. Sounds like you won already.

: )

Sean McHenry

Old September 16th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #68
Wrangler

LOL!! Sean, as much as I appreciate the compliment (gosh, I really do!!!) I am old enough to be most of these guys' mom. I don't think that's it. :)

But you're right about one thing. Every time we finish one of these and I see my friends laughing at their performances and beaming with pride at their accomplishments I feel like I've won the lottery or something. It's priceless.
Old September 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #69
Major Player

If You're Having Problems Encoding

Some of you have mentioned in this thread that you are having problems encoding with QuickTime. Here is a link to a post I made that gives my process in great detail. This assumes you have Sorenson Squeeze 4.1 (the software not the codec).

Visit post #8 on this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47730
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #70
Inner Circle

All In Really In!

Hi All,

Well I have posted my movie, but don't bother looking at it.

Got back late last night from my 3,807 mile road trip! Spent the whole time driving and doing things for others and nothing on the movie. Comittments, comittments, comittments! Carried all that equipment for all those miles and used almost none of it. I threw a movie together so I can stay off of the wall, but it is no prize winner.

Was a last minute trip for a birthday party etc., and a chance to see old friends, but what poor timing, right during the Challenge! I even came back a day early, telling people I had medical a appointment. Actually did have two that I had to reschedule, to keep all happy! Next week, three trips to the hospital!

I look forward to seeing everyones movies and especially Jeffs and Lorindas. I hear the saga continues Jeff? Can't wait!!!

Have a great night all!

Mike
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #71
Wrangler

Well done, big guy!

Hey Mike,
You deserve a big ol' hug, a glass of milk with a slice o' chocolate cake, and tucked into bed for a good night's sleep.

Your movie will be great--just like last time. :)

Now get some rest!
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #72
Major Player

I actually finished and posted mine before midnight my time! I am exhausted and going to bed.
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Hey Mike,
You deserve a big ol' hug, a glass of milk with a slice o' chocolate cake, and tucked into bed for a good night's sleep.

Your movie will be great--just like last time. :)

Now get some rest!
Lorinda,

Damn, that does sound good! Sure you don't want to move to Florida???? The movie is nothing though, but no wall!

Thanks and Good night all.

Mike
Old September 17th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #74
Regular Crew

amen jeff, I think i am going to be a victim of the same fate
Scott Hebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Thats me well and truely all done. The great thing I found about this challenge was the experience, and did I learn a lot. I had major problems with rendering my file in quicktime though. I use Premiere Pro and set all the settings as mentioned in a thread on this forum but I kept getting a load repetitive load clicking noise over the movie. Any adjustment I made didn`t make any difference. If I rendered a test footage (10 secs) it worked fine but the full thing kept giving this problem. I tried other compresiions, but kept getting the same results. I Ended up rendering to windows media and real player, hope this is okay for everyone, files ended up at 10meg and 1.5meg. Dylan has confirmed he`s seen the movie, so thats good anyway.

One of the things I leanrnt through all this, is it aint over till you`ve rendered it !

A really nice experience during the challenge was laying in the music. I gave the draft copy to a work colleague who returned 24 hours later with the soundtrack. It gave the short a whole new feel to it.

The whole experience was really hard to complete but great fun. I`ve run out of coffee twice, shouted at the computer 78 times (even though it wasn`t the computers fault !), and ended up sending my link in 10 minutes before I had to go to work. This was my last chance to get it in, I cant imagine how I`d have felt if the render didin`t work and I was in the dreaded Wall Of Shame.

I look forward to seeing everyones work very soon and would like to say to Dylan, "DV Challenge #4..........bring it on !!!!". I would actually like to call him a few names for starting this challenge, but then he might not let me play next time ;-)
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge