Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22

From my calculations by reading the forum I see that about 12 of us are working on films right now. Am getting so excited!

Andris, man, you had crazy adventures!! I love Latvia! Was there is 2009 and really enjoyed the people of your country!

Tomorrow night is the wrap party and I still have to finish color-correcting and get the final edits from my composer. It really is cutting it close.

Really looking forward to all the entries!

T
Toni Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 04:52 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andris Krastins View Post
Then I headed into the woods to find the abandoned soviet weather station
I'd like to watch a movie about you making a movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andris Krastins View Post
p.s. Attached a pic which I took on my crappy camera phone soon after finishing filming at the lake.
Gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
the rest of us DVCers are used to smaller words.
I learn all my big words on DVInfo.net!
Andrew Bove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #48
Major Player

Andrew and Toni, thanks for the comments! :)

Today I shot in 8 more locations, and again forgot my essential prop in two of them. Had to bike all the way back from the next location. Now the first thing I always do is to collect the props, because I won't forget the gear.

This was also a good opportunity to improve on my tripod skills, but a bit too much of assembly and disassembly to my taste. T'was like in the army - get the gear, shoot, roll everything up and bike to the next.

So I've got 15 scenes and various sounds shot, now on to editing.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #49
Major Player

Okay, so I'm beginning the editing right about now. No choice, but to finish until the deadline.
I have to attend a conference on Tuesday, so I'll probably do most of it there between the presentations.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Oooh my goodness! I am so close to getting on the Wall of Shame here! The timing has just been madness! With school getting back into session, I've been traveling and performing at colleges & universities across the country since the start of this DVC! The response has been tremendous - as Dick Mays can attest to on Facebook - but the tour's already been extended, and I barely got home last night.

I'm shooting a few test scenes this morning and hoping my idea will fly; but then I have to go shoot a wedding later today. Hopefully I'll be able to corral some actors and crew by today - then we'll get together tomorrow and try to shoot something, and have it in the editing room by tomorrow evening.

Whew! Am refusing to get on the WoS without a fight here. Going down to the wire! What time is it due again? It's due on the 4th at 11:59pm, right? Not on the 4th at 12:00am?? That makes a pretty big difference ;)
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:23 AM   #51
Wrangler

Yup. It is 11:59 p.m. PDT on Sept. 4, Joseph. Good luck!

Andris, your trials remind me a little too much of me...but I am waaaay older than you are! LOL

Good luck to all of you! Two days left!! :D
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM   #52
Major Player

Joseph, you can do it! The participation and the thrill is worth it, and I'd really like to see your entry. :)
This time I'm doing it all solo with no actors at all, but I hope that the result will be good enough.

I've got a really close call this time too, because I'm overloaded at my day job, lots of serious stuff to do. I'm determined to manage and finish the entry though. I've loaded the material on my laptop and will do some editing on the commute.

Lorinda, my guilty pleasure is that I enjoy it, haha! I hope to see an entry from you too. I've always enjoyed your very-human pieces.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:55 PM   #53
Major Player

I'm done - stick a fork in me.

Andris & Joseph you can do it. Looking forward to seeing everyone's film. Best fun I've had in a long time, stressful too. Can't say it was easy, so many tech issues.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Overall, this has been one of the best artistic experiences of my life. We shot on location and had only minor technical issues. I think the biggest thing that I have learned is that although you may be able to do everything yourself, sometimes it's best to delegate! Moving forward, when I do another short film, I will definitely get a bigger team to assist with the operation. We shot with one camera, two lav mics, and one light (for one scene). Finishing up the editing and making sure that everything is in tip-top shape before submitting. For those that have entered before, do you do a plot summary with the submission? Any type of formal write up about the film and the vision?
Toni Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:47 PM   #55
Major Player

Toni,

Traditionally, we create a thread in the feedback group on the day your film screens. This is where you get to tell a bit about the experience, challenges, and explain anything you think might not come across in your film. I use the occasion to promulgate various lies and defend myself in advance from any criticism that I might be a my misogynist. You can probably get away with just being truthful.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #56
Trustee

Hey guys...well I've just a final grade pass and the film is ready for upload. It was a fun process and increased my urge to shoot more fictional shorts. Looking for other avenues already :)

Looking forward to everyone's films.

M
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:43 AM   #57
Trustee

Well no getting off the wall of shame for me. Had a script crew actors and locations before I got a last minute call to go work on "revolution" 300 miles away so I had to abandon the short to find a new place to live temporarily and then work 75 hours in the past week. I'm stoked about the job just wish I could have waited a week to start it!

At some point I'm going to upload all of my unfinished projects.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #58
Major Player

Sorry to hear, Nick.
I myself am having trouble to find the time to edit everything together, feeling uneasy, but... there is hope and will. I'll probably just skip some talk at tomorrow's conference I have to attend.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:48 AM   #59
Major Player

Really sorry guys. I'm on the wall here for the first time in 2 years of doing these comps. A feature script I optioned off a while ago has suddenly gained some traction and I've had to spend the time I was going to shoot my doc in doing the inevitable re-writes. Will make sure to get myself off the wall at the first available opportunity, and really look forward to seeing peoples films.

Henry
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Finished and uploaded last night. For me this was a work of "love" with my college freshman granddaughter and other grand kids. My granddaughter wrote the script, played one of the characters, narrated, and wrote a song and sang it for the film. It was a lot of fun putting it all together to make her vision of the story try to work, though, as with all of these shorts, we had to chop and cut to make it all fit. With a film this short, character development is just very difficult, and suffers on the editing side.......

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge