Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM   #61
New Boot

Re: Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22

Finished and submitted our film, as of 4am this morning! We were a bit strapped for time, so my wife and I shot it on Saturday and edited it on Sunday. It doesn't work 100% as we hoped, unfortunately, but the Challenge was a great opportunity to push ourselves to make something, and I'm really proud of what we managed. I think the look of the film is a big step up from anything we've done before, so I'm happy about that. And since we're at an early stage in our filmmaking, we learn a lot every time we make something, which is why we have to keep pushing ourselves to do so, and why competitions like the DV Challenge are great as a means of motivation.

No great shooting stories or tribulations to relate otherwise. Except perhaps, as Toni said, next time I'd very much like a few more hands, since the last three films we shot have just had my wife and me for crew. I'm also, of course, worried about how the film will be received, but I guess we'll find out soon enough! Looking forward to sharing it with you all and seeing what everyone else came up with.

By the way, has anyone received a confirmation when they e-mailed their submission info? I'm a little paranoid about submitting, and I worry about my e-mail getting lost in a spam folder, the film somehow not fitting the criteria, or otherwise missing out in some way.
Michael Rodriguez-Torrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:43 PM   #62
Wrangler

Funny you would ask, Michael, just as I came here to cheer about already receiving six submissions--a full day before the due date!! This is getting very exciting and I hope to see at least that many more tomorrow.

To answer your question, your email has not come through. Try resending all the info and make sure it's going to thedvchallenge@gmail.com. Let me know when you have sent again; we'll go to plan B if necessary.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #63
New Boot

Thanks for letting me know, Lorinda; I'm glad I was paranoid! I've resent the e-mail and verified it's going to the right address. If you still haven't got it, would you check your spam folder? I also sent the info via private message here, as a backup. Hopefully something gets through!
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #64
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rodriguez-Torrent View Post
I also sent the info via private message here, as a backup.
That was plan B. :) Second try to the gmail address worked!
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:28 PM   #65
Major Player

Just finished mine and left it uploading overnight (the internet is really slow at the moment).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #66
Major Player

Almost done editing the video, half way through the audio part. Still have to record a few sound-fx and soundscapes. It'll be a close call.
Luckily for me I've just had fiber-optics installed, so the internet speed is not an issue any more.
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #67
Major Player

Wish I had fiber-optic. Took me the whole of the weekend to upload two versions, using my mobile phone, then I had to do it again as I found out I made a miss-take. where I live broadband on a landline is slower than my mobile. so, for me a 300mb file takes about 6-7 hours and 500mb takes around 12-14 hours to upload.

Out of curiosity I would be interested to know what speeds and upload times people have around the world for this comp.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #68
Major Player

Mine was 213mb and took about 8 hours overnight.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hartopp View Post
Wish I had fiber-optic. Took me the whole of the weekend to upload two versions, using my mobile phone, then I had to do it again as I found out I made a miss-take. where I live broadband on a landline is slower than my mobile. so, for me a 300mb file takes about 6-7 hours and 500mb takes around 12-14 hours to upload.

Out of curiosity I would be interested to know what speeds and upload times people have around the world for this comp.
I have fiber optic connection. Uploaded 335 mgb to Youtube in about 5 minutes. Vimeo server was sloeer at about 15 to 20
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #70
New Boot

Man, fiber sounds amazing. Maybe one day we can all enjoy it. I think mine was about 200 MB and took around 2 hours.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Just wanted to say thanks, Andris, Mark, and everyone else for the support. I'm shooting my final scenes this morning and getting ready for a full day in post. Not going down without a fight!

* swings wildly *
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #72
New Boot

After a long weekend of post-production and figuring out a workflow for the new CS6 (Adobe Speedgrade is awesome!), we're finally finished. I sent an email to where you said, Lorinda, but like Michael, I'm paranoid about everything working out. If you get a chance, could you let me know it went through?
John Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #73
Wrangler

Counting yours, John, we have received 12 entries so far!! Love it--keep 'em coming, folks and, Joseph--go, go, GO!!! :)
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #74
Major Player

I'm rendering the first (beta) version now. Thank God for the US time difference in favour of my location. :)
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #75
Major Player

Uploaded and sent.
Took about 3 minutes to upload 134mb video to youtube.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge