Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #76
Major Player

Re: Tales of Wonder and Woe - DVC 22

Interesting to see the different broadband speeds people have - for me it adds a different dimension to the challenge and to take into account. Really looking forward to see how many different interpretation of the theme were made.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #77
Regular Crew

So how long do you think it would take for my 14.4 baud modem to push my video to youtube?
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #78
Regular Crew

I sent in everything and am awaiting Lorinda's confirmation. She had given us until 11:59 Pacific time ! Thank you, Lorinda!

This past month has been one of major challenges and excitement. I hope you enjoy my short film as much as I have enjoyed making it. I tried to really push myself creatively with use of the theme, coming up with a cool story, as well as pushing myself technically with directing and editing. There were many times I thought, "how do real movies get made so quickly?" There are SO many moving elements and when you combine one camera, a foreign country, international actors, lav mic sound (1st and 2nd choice are always booms, but alas, I do not own that yet), and minimal lighting, you never know what is going to come out on the other side! What a fun ride this has been!

I can't wait to see everyone's films!

Toni
Toni Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Tran View Post
So how long do you think it would take for my 14.4 baud modem to push my video to youtube?
Are you on about a dial-up modem? I Google stuff and found this site that should be able to give a guide to how long it will take.

Bandwidth conversion calculator | web.forret.com
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #80
Major Player

I've read in a book about directing theater plays that it is a great success if the end result is at least 60% of what the director had imagined in his or her head. This, I think so, applies equally to film-making.

Unfortunately I feel that I haven't achieved those 60% I wished for. I didn't have a crew or actors, everything was rushed, because of other responsibilities, and I edited in distracting environments. All of which is small potatoes if compared to my negligible skills, hah!

Any way, what I have, until now, really gotten out of this challenge is the experience in building more complex soundscapes. I've come to love and appreciate the complex sound environments that can be created by recording, obtaining and mixing different sound fx and music, and I will never look to future productions as I've had before, with regards to this aspect.

Really looking forward to seeing all of your films!

Last edited by Andris Krastins; September 5th, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #81
Regular Crew

Well it seems that my video will not embed? So now I have a hyper link when I should have a nice embedded video frame! Crap what did I do wrong?

Anyone help?

Thanks
Frank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #82
Major Player

Have you created a Vimeo account and uploaded a version there? As I understand it only Vimeo will embed into forum posts and Youtube is just a weblink.
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #83
Inner Circle

No for mine. This is first time I got a frame like Vimeo for the YouTube version. Not sure why. I just posted link.
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Did you copy and paste the embed code or what how did you do it?
Frank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #85
Major Player

No. copied the url address of the video, you can find that url address in the code

or
If you have firefox you can right click on my video, select copy video url, paste it into a new tab and that will show how the url address then you will not what your looking for.
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Sorry guys, just a little ole night school lawyer here, so I had to look that one up on Wikipedia..... With 40 entries, only two bodies through windows ??? You know there is going to be a lot of breaking, but only two or three through windows ? I bet sugar futures went way up with the announcement of the theme....
Looks like we didn't have any on camera defenestrations. Bummer! There were three implied (via two off camera car accidents). We did have a brick and a beer bottle through windows though. With some nicely done vfx!
Andrew Bove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #87
Regular Crew

I should mention that I have video of one of my bottles shattering into a million pieces... because a car ran over it... right in front of me and my camera...

It all happened so fast that I didn't have time to really react to what had just happened. However, after we cleaned up the scene, I began to realize how scary -- and potentially more dangerous and worse -- that moment could have been.

I literally chalked it up to experience, called it a good day, thanked the universe, and never mentioned it since.
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #88
Major Player

I am still watching everyone's films and I must say I'm finding very hard to pick. Each one has pro's and con's but marking them on production value and theme/story seam to create a level playing field.

Who else is finding it stuff, with the standard of films available?
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #89
Major Player

I'm also trying to hurry and see everyone's entries, but I'm very busy at work, so I may be a little late with the reviews.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge