DVC3 "Obsolete Technologies" - feedback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 19th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #16
Major Player

Dear Mereym,

Thank you very much for the link to your page. These look like some excellent works!

I purchased "Genghis Blues" and "Sinners". Am very excited to see these two films and when the pocket book is feeling heavy again, will probably go with "Ring of Fire" next.

Also just ordered "Brothers Quay Collection - The Astonishing Short Films 1984-1993"

Broke again...lol
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #17
Wrangler

i'm jealous, bradley, that you get to watch "genghis blues" for the first time. it was such a surprise to me, that it even got made. i would say it is the video that inspired me to make video.

those are all great picks, you should be happy whiling away the hours.

but when you get a few bucks, pick up "ring of fire." what's cool about that film is that it is a real-life search for magic and mystery. these two brothers with 16 mm cameras wander off to the farthest corners of the world and actually find it. none of this canned hollywood stuff, these guys find the real deal. part three in particular seems to blow people's minds. this one guy watched this movie, then quit his job at a large multinational to go find the healer portrayed in the movie to study at his feet. he wrote about how that film transformed his life in a book, "magus of java" which is, itself, an oddly fascinating book.

you'll also dig the brothers quay collection. if you really want a walk on the wild side, dig into svankmeier's "faust." weird, poetic, and vast.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #18
Trustee

Yeah, Brothers Quay is probably like nothing you have ever seen. If you like Tool (the band) videos, you'll understand. Although created by someone else, these are quite similar, only better.

I love their work because it is so studied. That is, their dedication to stop motion is amazing. To think about the frame rates and the speed of the motion on the final film for actions of characters, if you can call them that, very well done. Probably the best ever. If you are thinking Gumby and Pokey, this aint it.

Their use of depth of field, in a stop motion is truely amazing. You will love it, or it will creep you out.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #19
Major Player

Dear Mereym,

This says so much: "Genghis Blues - it was such a surprise to me, that it even got made. i would say it is the video that inspired me to make video." I cant' wait to see it.

Yes, I will definitely pick up "Ring of Fire" soon as it sounds like it will be in line with some of my inner most tweaks. Joseph Campbell anyone? Follow your bliss? Seems to be solid advice and now that I have come back to learning and creating with video...I feel "right" again.

Thank you again Mereym...I'll let you know when they come in and I have had time to let them wash over me.

Sean- thanks for the description on the Brothers Quay. A while back, had tried only a few mini sequences with sop motion on an old Bolex 16mm and was blown away by the amount of time it took. Even though I did my level best...it still came out shaky. Can't wait to see these pros in action!

I must admit to also blowing a fistful of dollars to buy "Once Upon A Time In The West" and "Memento" -Have definitely seen these before but wanted to add them to a strange and wonderful collection.
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #20
Wrangler

that's interesting. chris nolan, who made "memento," grew up with the two brothers (adrian and roko belic) who made "genghis blues." they were all little child film/video prodigies together. kinda cool.

lemme know what you think of those films, if you get a chance. so few folks have seen them (generally only when i sit them down and say, "you've gotta watch this one!") that i don't often get to listen to responses to them. i'd really love to know what you think.
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #21
Trustee

If you like Memento, look for the Machinist also. American Psycho is also on my list.

I used to hate Magnolia. The opening killed Three Dog Nights song. It must go on for about 10 minutes in the open. Still don't like that but after watching it again recently, it ain't so bad after all.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

What a great history piece. There is a store in hollywood that has all of those items in glass cases. It was nice to see them in action. Your short has inspired me to finish my old 1920's RCA Victrola that has been sitting in a bonus room for the last 3 years. Well done!
Sean Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
that's interesting. chris nolan, who made "memento," grew up with the two brothers (adrian and roko belic) who made "genghis blues." they were all little child film/video prodigies together. kinda cool.

lemme know what you think of those films, if you get a chance. so few folks have seen them (generally only when i sit them down and say, "you've gotta watch this one!") that i don't often get to listen to responses to them. i'd really love to know what you think.
That is interesting Meryem!

I'll be sure to let you know what I thought of these films. Thank you very much!
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #24
Wrangler

thanks, sean b., for your kindness. it's true that, if you get to see these objects at all, they are in a museum or illustrated in some film history textbook. they're so much cooler in motion. and have such magical, wonderful names...

i think Canon should maybe name their new HDV camera the Zoetrope XL. it would be so much more retro-cool.

as for you, sean m., i'm having none of that Machinist or American Psycho on this thread! can't you see i'm trying to keep things spiritual and profound around here??!! the brothers quay are welcome, but you're gonna hafta find somewhere else to peddle your psycho-killer-freak aesthetic! i'm the voice in the peace love magic mystery wilderness in these parts, and i aim to keep it that way!

draw, sheriff!
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #25
Major Player

Mereym...lol

I like the way you keep the thread clean, pure, serene and spiritual...

then draw a gun on Sean!

Priceless!
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:50 PM   #26
Trustee

I Loved This

Meryem,
I loved your short. Completely different from any of the entries in just about every way, but I completely understand what you mean by the 'sacred' concept as applied to video - and in a sense I believe you captured some of that.

I loved the blend of the music with a very mystical sense of magical presence in the 'ancient' technologies you showed - what an amazing private museum collection.

The sacred element is something along the line of what I provide for a number of my clients - personalized video with an element that shifts perspective, captures people's hearts, or taps into a dormant emotion in a very good (and sometimes cathartic) way.

Just to note - none of that is included in my own short at all - by contrast you may find it quite blasphemous - but I was stretching.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you how much I loved your short. Great job.
-Jon
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:33 PM   #27
Wrangler

thank you so much, jonathan. "ancient" technologies, indeed! one of the things that's so amazing about these old toys is how new they actually are, if charted along an historical timeline. it'll be interesting to see what revolutionary invention lies ahead.....

i'm glad you liked it...it is always a pleasure when a piece of creative work speaks to anyone out there.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:41 AM   #28
Major Player

Dear Mereym,

Just a quick update. I received a call from the people who handle Genghis Blues DVD's and they said they were out of stock. The new shipment would arrive in two weeks and "was that ok?". I said no problem.

Thought I'd let you know. I take this as a good sign that their sales are going well.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM   #29
Wrangler

that's pretty good news, bradley. wouldn't it be cool to make an independent video and then run out of available copies?? like a dream come true....

actually, "genghis blues" was nominated for an academy award, so although it's not exactly a household name, i'm not the only one who thought highly of it....

come to think of it, i probably bought half of their stock two years ago! every year, my friends know what they're getting for christmas....it's my annual indie film/video of the year pick. i get to support the indie producers, and my friends get to see something they can't rent themselves. this year, everyone is getting either a copy of "sinners" by bill heath or "the collective" by the collective. one is the greatest ski film ever shot, and the other is the best mountain-biking film ever shot.

the latter has shots from a guy riding through the air on a sky-cam, meaning he is hooked into a harness by a pulley riding a line strung between trees, doing overhead tracking shots of high-octane mountain bikers below. he's flying through the woods. with a 16mm camera. pretty amazing stuff. when i saw these shots on the big screen at a film festival, i really wondered how they captured these shots. freaking peter pan with a film camera. very cool.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM   #30
Major Player

Yes- "Sinners" was one you recommended and I just got the notice that it shipped today. YeeeHaaa!

Given that I love to go snowboarding at least 1-2 times a year, this film will be a blast. My buddy Wally (Iris the Killer in my film) is a major ski bum. Great idea for a Christmas present for him.

Thanks Mereym!
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge