DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC #3 "Filature (Shadowing)" - Feedback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/51411-dvc-3-filature-shadowing-feedback.html)

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 20th, 2005 08:24 AM

DVC #3 "Filature (Shadowing)" - Feedback

Cool!!!

Dylan has put the link to my movie, Filature (english title is Shadowing)!

This is my first attempt in this kind of contest. The movie is in french, with english subtitles. I hope you will not find it too annoying. Please give me your feedbacks and questions here!

This movie was a pleasure (despite the number of hours of work) to do, I hope you will like it. Thanks Dylan for the Challenge!

Hugo Pinto September 20th, 2005 08:48 AM

Jean-Philippe, c'est trés trés trés bon.

I loved it. I was looking for such a powerful idea for my short, and my brain was running dry. The sheer simplicity of the storyline even makes it more powerful.

I see this DVC edition is putting the standards way up high.

By the way, was that photo really develoing at that moment? can you shoot in a dark chamber with a photo developing, or was it simply half-developed and sip in water?

Very very good! Congrats!

Hugo

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 20th, 2005 08:59 AM

Hi Hugo!

Thank you very much for the comments.

Regarding the picture, all pics used in this short were digitally taken with a Digital Rebel in the morning the day we shots the film. I printed them just before the shooting in the dark chamber and prepared a "semi-developped one" to give this effect.

In fact I used way too much light to develope a real picture! :-)

Lorinda Norton September 20th, 2005 09:09 AM

Wow, Jean-Philippe!! I just watched your movie and I'm awestruck.

At first I thought, "yes, he's really doing a good job of showing how well he lights and edits," --it was quite good, by the way. Then I got so engrossed in the story that developed (ha!) I forgot all about your technique and just enjoyed the movie.

That was so well done! Congratulations!

Fredrik-Larsson September 20th, 2005 09:22 AM

Wow! No problem with the subtitles. I loved the story, and the "hum hum" is great. I can really feel what he is thinking "Pauline, yeah right!". And the final twist. Very nice... :)

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 20th, 2005 09:44 AM

Thank you Lorinda and Fredrik!

I'm glad you liked the story. You know, sometimes, when we get involved in such kind of work, in the end it come a time when we are not sure if we still have an understanding story. Your comments are really wellcome! :)

Dick Mays September 20th, 2005 09:47 AM

Didn't see the end coming...

Man, these are pretty good looking films! er.. videos!
Your short really told a story using pictures. I don't think we even needed the subtitles to understand the story. And I didn't see the end coming!
Now I wonder what comes next. In American, there's about $50K in attorney fees, but I guessing in France, they make wild passionate love without ever talking about"Pauline."

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 20th, 2005 09:50 AM

You know, i'm not from France, but from Quebec, Canada. Here, perhaps the attorney is less expensive, but it end in his hands too. :)

Keith Loh September 20th, 2005 09:53 AM

Jean-Philippe, yours was a very mature work and it really stood out.

Meryem Ersoz September 20th, 2005 10:17 AM

fabulous. what i want to know is, who was shooting him shooting her? sneaky, sneaky.

great use of the theme. the theme had a completely integrated feel. great pacing, great editing, multiple locations. images within images. a ton of work went into this, it seems.

Sean McHenry September 20th, 2005 10:38 AM

Interesting story line. I liked it and it left me also wanting to know more. Not a bad thing really. Makes me want to see more of that same story line developed. Like why did she suspect she was being followed and what was he motivation for staging her little play? Why did she want to get caught.

The visual quality of the renders this time around is superb also. Thsi is going to be a tough show to judge. I hope the judges are up to this one.

Hope you like mine. Should be out tomorrow.

Sean McHenry

Josh Johnson September 20th, 2005 10:41 AM

That was an awesome idea. Now what I want to know is, does the guy now have pictures of the guy taking pictures of him taking pictures of the girl??? :) That could go on forever...

Well done!

-Josh

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 20th, 2005 11:58 AM

Thank you guys! This open ending left some questions in your mind? Great! That's what I was looking for. :)

Bradley L Marlow September 20th, 2005 12:16 PM

Jean-Philippe Archibald!

Extremely well done! I thoroughly enjoyed this film and the story. Beautiful imagery. You have definitely put much thought into your work and the end result was outstanding!

Many pats on the back are in order!

Sean Buck September 20th, 2005 06:39 PM

Very nice Jean-Philippe. I thought it turned out very well. I expected the first twist in the story but the ending was magnificent. Technically and story wise an outstanding short. I will look for more good work from you in the future.