DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC #3 - "Continuum" - Feedback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/51412-dvc-3-continuum-feedback.html)

Josh Johnson September 20th, 2005 08:34 AM

DVC #3 - "Continuum" - Feedback

Well, I guess I'll open a thread for my movie now that it has been posted. It was tough to do this all by myself. I had originally planned to do a "soul stealing camera" story, but decided not to in fear that everyone was doing it. Then, I had a hitman story, but scrapped it because I had no crew and no actors... So I had to write a third story using my dad and my son. This is what came of it.

I hope you all like it.

-Josh

Hugo Pinto September 20th, 2005 08:38 AM

Liked it? It's freakin beautiful. Loved it. Loved it. And you can quote me on that anytime.

You have very good lighting, a wonderfully focused young actor :), and a circular storyline. I absolutely loved it.

Hugo

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 20th, 2005 08:39 AM

I just watched it and loved it (as well as other posted today... the level of competition is really high!)

Your son play very well, your cinematography is great, the opening sequence is awesome! Good story too.

Congratulations!

Fredrik-Larsson September 20th, 2005 09:33 AM

I loved it. I felt sorry for the kid instantanously. A personal tragedy is a very strong subject but I thought you handled it well. Seems like a very bright kid. Not only for acting but for all those math... and he came up with 42! That's the answer to everything and all and took I don't know how many million years for a supercomputer to figure out... :)

Lorinda Norton September 20th, 2005 09:38 AM

Beautiful images, Josh! You sure know how to work with lighting.

Your son is a doll and he did a great job. I had trouble hearing much of his dialogue and had to watch it again to get the story, but then, I haven't had my coffee yet this a.m. so.... :)

I bet he was delighted when he saw himself "transported." That was cool!

And I'm one of the many who likes happy endings, so this movie suited me right down to the ground. Good work!

Quantam Physics for Dummies--funny. :)

Josh Johnson September 20th, 2005 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone!

Yes, 42 is the answer to everything, including time travel. :)

I had trouble getting my son to talk louder in that scene. It seems that his idea of being sad was being quiet. (He may be right) I had to boost the audio dramatically to get it to where it is now...

Meryem Ersoz September 20th, 2005 10:20 AM

hm, i thought the answer to everything was 12. i guess i have been wrong more often than i even realized.

sweet movie, though. i liked the kid doing the mad scientist lab thing--he clearly has a bright future as a videographer, haha.

always thumbs up to the happy ending. bring on the uplift!

Sean McHenry September 20th, 2005 10:32 AM

OK, you guys are killing me here. So far all these have merit and my film...

Well, I just hope you guys like mine as much as I am liking yours.

I will say the quality this DVC is amazing. I think we passed through some sort of threshold or something. They are all so good.

Yes, 42 is the answer.

I have to go now and tell the other folks how well I think they did too.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Sean

Bradley L Marlow September 20th, 2005 12:07 PM

This was absolutely beautiful Josh!

Your son was priceless and did an excellent job (which I'm sure you are very proud). Wonderful story with a happy ending, beautiful opener and sweet cinematography.

Bravo!

Josh Johnson September 20th, 2005 12:20 PM

Thanks!

Yep, I am very proud of my son. I was suprised he did so well actually... Every time I have had him in something before, he couldn't stop smiling. This time he just clicked and did most of what I asked.... (His payment was for me to beat a level on his favorite game 'Super Mario Sunshine', My dad made me make dinner for a week... haha)

-Josh

Sean Buck September 20th, 2005 06:35 PM

Josh. Outstanding. Loved it. Your son is excellent. I have worked with many child actors in hollywood and I would put him up there with all of them. Music was good, loved the lighting, f/x good, and I thought you did a great job of turning back time. Your son is very proud I am sure to be a part of a great little project. Bravo!

Jonathan Jones September 21st, 2005 06:09 PM

touching

Hi Josh,
Wow, the quality of these shorts is so amazing to me. I loved your short. I found it very touching and it pulled at my heartstrings a little bit. Actually it touched on a few emotions, including a little smile here and there when the boy was 'googling' and then reading the 'dummies' guides, ...clever.

His face emoted his grief very very well in the opening sequence.....grief + resolve.

I loved the simplicity of the closing frame - very very nice...and very touching. Thanks for making your movie.
-Jon

Jeff Sayre September 22nd, 2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
Hi Josh,
Wow, the quality of these shorts is so amazing to me. I loved your short. I found it very touching and it pulled at my heartstrings a little bit. Actually it touched on a few emotions, including a little smile here and there when the boy was 'googling' and then reading the 'dummies' guides, ...clever.

I agree with Jonathan. My wife and I were touched by this movie. Although it was hard to hear your son at times, the lighting, camera angles, and story were all compelling. Great job, Josh.