DVC3 "The Visionary" - Feedback - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:30 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Jean-Philippe,

Thanks for commenting,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald
You are a good actor, but espescially a good screenwriter! You got a really good story, but I guessed the end when I understood that the boy was waiting for nothing.
With today's educated audience, escaping cliché-land and delivering genuine surprise becomes more and more difficult - specially because a trained movie-goer is already expecting either the obvious resolution, or the oposite of the obvious (my case). The writer must point in some other oblique way, or trick the audience into a false resolution. Improvements for next time.

Still, at that point [when it´s becoming obvious that she's not coming] I was almost ready to give the ending away - at least people suspect something is way wrong, so I hope it was a good experience overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald
I hope you will be able to have your camera fixed! ;-)
I do hope so. Specially because it was bought in the UK and I live in The Netherlands. Next week will be my JVC-warranty-fighting week. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Keith,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
Hugo another strong concept that made this one stand out for me.
Those are kind words, specially coming from you.

Many thanks

Hugo
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #18
Major Player

Hugo:

I've just had a chance to watch your movie and I loved it! It had a very nice plot and finish. I must say that I'm interested to learn more about the visionary character--what is he working on exactly, why did they take his computer, and what will the "bad guys" do with the stuff?

I got back from a wedding and then checked the DVC3 nominations and was pleased to see that your short is up for Best Picture. Well done! I look forward to your next.
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Jeff,

Many thanks for your comments, I'm glad you liked it, and am of course very very glad it is on the Nominees for Best Picture.

The Visionary was working at some revolutionary way to speed up computers (there is a small reference to that in the chat). BUT, your question actually gave me an excelent idea to create the sci-fi stravaganza I was commenting on at your feedback thread ;) Maybe for DVC5 or DVC6...For now, I can only say one word: qubit.

As a pure curiosity note, the actual diagrams were from a revolutionary computer of its own, the ZX Spectrum that created a computer fever here in Europe in the late 70's / early 80's (depending on the model) and was one of the main responsibles for the democratization of the small home computer, and a predecessor to today's game consoles.

All the best,

Hugo
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Hugo:

Being a student of science, I know a little about qubits. I like that idea. So as not to potentially ruin your story, I will not divulge an information about qubits!

I'm glad that you're inspired to try a scifi extravaganza. Although I am no scifi master by any means, if you need any help, let me know.
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #21
Major Player

Hugo, I found your movie very pleasant to watch.
It was all very well done. You know how to shoot movies and you know how to act. Well done !
The only thing is that I guessed was going to happen when she said she wanted to see him the same day he finished his project.
But your acting was very subtle, you didn't burst in tears when you discovered the computer was gone, just a philosophical thought. I think you are a great director.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Benjamin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Durin
Hugo, I found your movie very pleasant to watch. It was all very well done. You know how to shoot movies and you know how to act. Well done ! (...)
Thanks for your kind words. I too ended up happy on how it looked, but I'll put more effort on the story on DVC#4, and will target the main weaknesses I found out during DVC#3 - lighting expressiveness, and better cinematography - in a "be proud of your achievements, but aim for better" attitude.

Thanks once again,

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge