Death Takes a Picture- Feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Death Takes a Picture- Feedback

ugh.
Not as good of a job as I would have liked.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Michael,

I dunno if it such a bad thing. The whole nonsense got me laughting without thinking. And where on earth did you get such a good Death costume? :)) The timmings, accidental or on purpose, only added to the nonsense feeling.

If your aim was for dramatic (which I doubt), then you may have a point. If your aim was for comic, well, at least you got me.

All the best,

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Scott Barker made and wore the Death costume. He also made the boom pole we used on this one, and the mummy costume we used for dvc2. He's like Mcgyver.

I'm glad it made you laugh, Hugo; it is difficult to tell if the jokes are funny after watching them 100 times during the edit.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Trustee

I liked it too. The things I see that could be improved, but you are doing well, are timing, and I would put a fade on the dialog, both in and out for Mr. Death. You get a sort of choppy cut into the difference in the dialog right now.

My biggest question in this one is: What sort of junk mail do you get being on Deaths mailing list?

Good concept.

Keep going. They are looking better and better.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry

Keep going. They are looking better and better.

Sean McHenry
Well, we plan to keep going, but the consensus now is that we're out of dvc4-although, that may change. The pace on this one was pretty hellish for all involved. We have a concept for a longer, darker peice and it appears that we have most of the resources too. We all feel that we'd like to do another one and take the time to get it right.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Don't give up Michael. You did a good job. I thought the whole concept was funny. That "Pick-up my tripod" line was great. You can only get better by making more. Hope to see you in DVC4.
Sean Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Michael!

Wonderful!

I thought you showed some excellent creativity in your film. Everybody likes a laugh and you certainly had me laughing. To have death out taking pictures because his reaping job doesn't pay the bills is great! I liked this "matter of fact" conversation you had going.

I don't know why, but for some reason people puking up "white stuff" always gags me more that a typical "technicolor yawn". Perhaps I need a few sessions on the couch.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Funny stuff. Death was gold. I can see where you're coming from saying "ugh" because I know that my film too, didn't come out the way we wanted. However, yours is STILL funny. And not funny like I smiled while watching funny as in I was laughing. That's hard to do. Think about that for a second, your friends and your work made me laugh and have five minutes of fun! Thanks! I often go to theaters and don't get five minutes of enjoyment these days.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM   #9
Wrangler

I'm with Mitchell. Don't know how many times I laughed out loud, but it was a lot! One gag after another. That Grim Reaper could do stand-up!

When he walked past the flowers and they died? Hilarious. And hanging his scythe on the coat rack....

The ending was the toughest part, as I didn't want to see the other guy go to...um...hell. And it reminded me a little of an SNL sketch where the middle is way more engaging than the finish. But endings are hard!!!

My friend from DVCs 1, 2 and 3 emailed me about this one. He said, "The guy in the black looks familiar." (He played Death in the DVC2 movie.) :)

Good job! Can't wait for the next one.
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, thank you, everyone.
As mentioned above, Death was played by Scott Barker he also played Crane and the mummy in "The Cask of Malta" our next peice will proabably feature a more serious version of Crane- we've been talking about him for a couple of years. Scott is a great artist, fabricator and actor. I'm very lucky to have him invovled.
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #11
Major Player

Get my tripod was a good line, but my favorite was "I gave you free wallet size". Very funny. My wife laughed all the way through it!

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #12
Trustee

Michael,
This one was FULL of great lines....'uh, I got company coming over so could you uh....."

"call an ambulance...are you high?" (given the situation - this was hilarious)

And, of course all the lines and visuals that were already mentioned in this thread. This was a classic short. I loved it!
-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge