DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC3 Nominations! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/51672-dvc3-nominations.html)

Dylan Couper September 24th, 2005 11:30 AM

DVC3 Nominations!

Ok, here are the nominated films!
To earn a nomination, you have to have two or more votes from the judges. Presented in a completely random order, the nominated films are:

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Nick Hiltgen – Iris
Jeff Tyler – Still Life
Jean-Philippe Archibald – Filature
Tyler Baptist – Snap Shot
Bradley L. Marlow – Iris The Killer
Josh Johnson – Continuum
Elvis Deane – Flash

BEST PICTURE
Elvis Deane – Flash
Tyler Baptist – Snap Shot
Jean-Philippe Archibald – Filature
Hugo Pinto – The Visionary
Bradley L. Marlow – Iris The Killer
Sean Buck – SNAP
Jason Varner – The Best Buy

Dylan Couper September 24th, 2005 07:28 PM

FYI, don't read too much into these stats. There were films that scored very highly with only single judge, and actually placed higher overall than some of these films with two nominations. So just because you aren't in the nomination list, doesn't mean you didn't have any votes.

Sean McHenry September 24th, 2005 07:29 PM

OK, it's official. So I didn't make the cut this round. That's alright. Hail to the next generation, you're on your way.

Keep looking behind you however. Those footsteps you hear are mine sneaking up on DVC4.

Sean McHenry

Dylan Couper September 24th, 2005 07:39 PM

Films that scored single votes from judges, so didn't make the nominations cut, but I'm including them anyway because even with a single vote they scored higher than several of the others with two votes.

Honourable mentions:
Sean McHenry – Frame 37
Jon Jones – Grim Parallax
Nick Hiltgen – Iris
Jeff Tyler – Still Life
Pete Bauer – Self Made

Cinematography:
Sean Buck – SNAP
Lorinda Norton – Last Words
Andrew Johnson and Lisa Lopez – Sweet Talker

Stephen van Vuuren September 25th, 2005 01:08 PM

Interesting inside info Dylan...

Sean - judging and film festival selections is an incredibly fickle, arbitrary process that tells you more about the judges than about a film's worth or quality. I mean no offense to anyone who judges (a thankless job if there every was one), but judges are typically watching a lot of films in a short period of time and bring wide variance in their experience, taste and values around filmmaking.

So no one should be discouraged by not being nominated - yes, it's dissappointing when your work is not recognized but that does not mean you should be discouraged.

The Academy Awards is a great example of how fickle, abitrary and self-serving judging is, even when it tries not to be (my guess is DVinfo judges are much fairer than Academy voters). Here's one very notable example:

Consider 1968:

Best picture
"FUNNY GIRL"
Ray Stark, Producer
"THE LION IN WINTER"
Martin Poll, Producer
"OLIVER!"
John Woolf, Producer
"RACHEL, RACHEL"
Paul Newman, Producer
"ROMEO AND JULIET"
Anthony Havelock-Allan and John Brabourne, Producers
And the winner is: OLIVER!

There is a film of note missing. What film?

"2001: A Space Odyssey" of course (Kubrick did win his only Oscar of his career for best Special Effects). 2001 ranks from 22nd to 1st on just about any top films of all time list . AFAIK, none of this films every have cracked any top 100 list.

Many more examples, but the lesson is to keeping making films, keeping put them out there to a variety of audiences and listen to their feedback. If nobody responds, then maybe some self-criticism is warranted. But if you do find people responding to work and connecting with you - that is what really matters, not judges or awards.

Sean McHenry September 25th, 2005 01:32 PM

Oh please don't get me wrong, I was making a concession speech. Some days ya win and some you don't. No big deal, I just want the feedback, like everyone else. It does me much more good to hear from other folks than to win.

I won't critique the judges choices or methods, just wondering how I did. I thought this one was stronger than my first and was just wondering where I fit, as I'm sure everyone else wants to know. As Dylan said, if we want to know our ranking, he can tell us after the fact.

I'm excited to see who got it. It was going to be close, as I noted, from day one of the releases. This is getting good. Like I said, those footsteps folks are hearing, that's me sneaking up on DVC4.

Game on everyone.

Sean McHenry

Dick Mays September 25th, 2005 02:01 PM

Well deserved nominations! Both for Best Picture and that big Cinematographical word.

Congratulations for these DVC3 winners, and WATCH OUT FOR MY KIDS come Halloween!