The DV Challenge #3 - WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Wrangler

The DV Challenge #3 - WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT

DVC3 WINNERS

Ah, another one has come and gone. We've all taken an extra week off our lives in the process of making a 3 minute short film. Was it worth it? It will be for three lucky people who get to take home some kick ass prizes from The DVestore.com and Chimera lighting!

First off, big thanks to Guy Cochran, who put up a wickedly sweet prize of a NEW FRICKEN VIDEO CAMERA, and Beachtek for adding in an XLR adapter. And of course Stand Hennigh and Chimera Lighting for donating a spread of lighting gear!
Compliments of DVC#3 sponsors BeachTek and The DVeStore.com and Chimera Lighting The grand prize will consist of a Canon Optura 50 with a BeachTek DXA-2S XLR adapter, as well as a Chimera 24 x 32 Video Pro Lightbank and Speed Ring

Thanks of course to the judges, Keith Loh, Michael Wisniewski, Ed Smith, and Guy Cochran, who made my job much easier.
And of course Chris Hurd for letting us run The DV Challenge on DVinfo.net!

First, the award for Best Cinematography:

Let me start by saying that this was the tightest I've seen any category. There is a four way tie for third!!! If you are on the list of nominated films, then you are probably in this 4 way tie. Second place, and there is no prize for this, I'm just announcing it because it was also really really really close, second place belongs to Tyler Baptist for "Snap Shot". Tyler, it was as close as could be, good shot.
And now the winner:
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Bradley L. Marlow – Iris The Killer

Congradulations Bradley, it was well deserved. Please email me your address so we can get your prizes out to you!

Ok, now for the main category... This was tough. I'm so glad I had four other judges to help with this. I'm already trying to think of a way out of judging DVC4. :) Just kidding (mostly). Did I say it was tough? Oh yeah I did. I think the reason for it is that everyone who was in DVC2 learned so much that their entries for DVC3 really stepped up a notch. Also, we have many new faces in this one who brough in some serious skills. As always, since the goal of competing is to learn and motivate yourself, so even by completing a film, you are a winner.
I talk too much, lets get it on!

RUNNER UP
Bradley L. Marlow – Iris The Killer

Congradulations Bradley! Awesome work.

And finally...
THE WINNER OF BEST PICTURE FOR THE DV CHALLENGE #3 IS:
Jean-Philippe Archibald – Filature

Congradulations Jean-Philippe! Fantastic piece!

Ok, if you are one of our winners, email me your address and we'll get the prizes on their way as soon as possible!

Thanks to everyone else who competed, because of you DVC3 was fantastic. Hope to see you all back for DVC4!

Dylan
Old September 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Congrats to the winners! And to everyone else who participated in DVC3!
Tyler Baptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Major Player

what he said.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Excellent work everyone. I'm proud to know you, at least through this forum. I think if nothing else, we are absolutly learning how to do this as the level of skill has shot through the roof on this one. I don't know what to do for DVC4 but hope for a great script. We are all shooting about as well as anyone I know so that's a good thing. Editing tighter and getting better angles are the next set of goals for some of us. Sound work and acting are in the things to keep an eye on.

I think we are all going to be good at this pretty soon.

Keep an eye out for the idea we chatted about, where we all shoot the same idea for a scene with the same basic script. Now that this challenge is behind us, I'll spit out a simple page of loose script for a scene and those of us with any energy left can shoot it and compare notes. See the other thread on that. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51252

Congrats to the winners and a super thank you to Guy and the sponsors. The awards are incredible. Please keep sponsoring us as long as you like. As you know, we would be doing this anyway but winning stuff makes the sleep deprivation and nervous energy expended even more worth while.

See you all right here for DVC4. We are all winners for entering and learning.

Sean McHenry (I'll be back)

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Winner?!?!? Me!??!?!

WoW! I can't believe that. Thank you to all the judges who liked my piece.

A Special thanks also to all of you who left the great comments.

The competition was really high, with so much good films, I never expected to win. There should be 27 winners here tonight, but I am glad to have been chosen. :)
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Wrangler

CONGRATULATIONS, Jean-Philippe!!!! Well done; you should be so very proud of your work--it was beautiful. Now, go celebrate!

And to my Rocky Mountain pal, I mean, Mr. Cinematographer/Filmmaker Brad Marlow: HOORAY!!!!! Yours was such a wonderful, complete work, as well. I'm just bustin' my buttons with pride and happiness over what you accomplished. Congratulations!
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Jean-Philippe, your film was my clear favourite from the get go. I was checking in tonight thinking, "the wine drinking adulterer is gonna win". Sure enough, there you go. Congratulations to all of you who put in the effort to submit a piece.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #8
New Boot

Congratulations Jean-Philippe and Brad!
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Air China Pilot

Yes, congrats to all of the winners. Really I had no expectations going into the judging and I was impressed over and over by the quality of the entrants. I had to watch the nominees' films a few times and the decision was quite difficult between the winners. Not only were the majority technically adept but among the nominees there was obviously some thought given to the concept. In the end, it is the concept that wins out. Truly.
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Wow!

All day I was wearing my t-shirt that says: "I'm out of my mind! Please leave a message."

Looking very much like a shaved Chihuahua sitting on a cold square tile...I'm still shaking.

Thank you so much DVinfo.net, Dylan C., Guy C., all the judges and most especially, thank you all DVC#3 Finalists and nominees!

This has been the most rewarding experience. For those of you who took the time to critique my film, thank you for your time, opinion and insight. I learned much from these words and feel as though I have made several new friends here.

Best wishes!
Brad
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Congratulations to the winners. You did a great job and deserve all of the accolades.

Dylan, I am confused. You said that if I sent Vixen and Princess over by the weekend I was a shoe in. Did they get lost? Hahahahaha!

Seriously, I had a blast and didn't expect much and ended up making the top 5. As I've said in the past, everyone did a tremendous job and I hope they are encouraged to come back out for DVC4. I know that I am going to try and make it if I am in town.

Thanks to all of the judges for putting all of their time and effort in.
Sean Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #12
Wrangler

wow, congratulations to two very deserving guys. what a pleasure it has been getting to know the fabulous brad through DVC3. i'm a big fan already, both of your work and also the sweet, sincere, earnest guy behind it. and jean-philippe, it really was a great, very mature piece of work. nice guys do finish first, and we're all better off for it....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Congrats fellas, terrific jobs, both excellent pieces of work!
Scott Hebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Jean-Philippe and Bradley,

Congratulations!

Your works were top-notch, and the recognition of true quality is both a stimulus and an encouragement for all of us.

Also thanks Dylan for the challenge. This was my first DVC and I'm already addicted to the thing! I learned so much. Much better than staying on the couch.

Now, bring on Haloween so that we can test our terror skills!

Cheers,

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #15
Major Player

Congrats to all. It was great fun. I loved watching everybody's work. You all are very nice and talented. It was a great pleasure.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge