DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old September 12th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Sign up for DVC 23!!!

Sign me up, just in case.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #32
New Boot

I'm in for it! I want the BM pocket!! :)
Andres Mata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #33
New Boot

Well, I've been waiting for a contest since I got here. Everyone of them seemed to finish just as I heard about them.
I hope it will be fun, that camera sure looks nice.
Marius Tatarasanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #34
Tourist

I'm in. So excited bout the theme. When will it be announced?
Niklas Holling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #35
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Sorry for the new guy question, but how do we sign-up? Is it as simple as replying here and saying I'm in?

If so, I'm in! :)
Randy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #36
New Boot

Sign me up! Why not?
Royston Coppenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #37
New Boot

Sign me up!
Sean Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #38
Major Player

I'm in for this one too...UWOL and The DV challenge baby!
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #39
Wrangler

WOW!!! What a great way to start the morning--with a bunch of new friends and old. Did you all receive the DVinfo Net newsletter? Check it out: News, Reviews and More from DV Info Net -- and a BMPC as a prize

Normally, I would be announcing the theme about now, but let's wait a few hours and see how many more folks we can get! I'll put up the theme in a new thread sometime before noon MDT.

Randy Smith, you're in! :)
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Hey! It's getting late in the rest of the world. Put up the theme too late and we won't see it until some time tomorrow.... In Paris for instance we have restaurants calling out to us with foie gras and roast duck breast on the menu. Don't know how long we'll be able to hang on.... :-)
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #41
Wrangler

Ha...let's allow the newsletter to do its thing for just a bit longer and then I'll post the theme. :)

UPDATE: The theme is posted and sign up remains OPEN...for now!
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-chall...ouncement.html

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; September 13th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #42
Major Player

Well, we have had our share of woes this week - my mother in law passed away Tuesday.

But I'll enter just in case.

Thanks

Paul
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Hello, everyone! Great to see so many sign-ups for #23, and holy cow, what a prize!! Again, Guy makes our jaws drop!

Robert Martens -- great to see your name back here on the boards! How are ya??

Dick, sorry again to have your Cinema Camera for so long! In fact, I actually sold it months ago, bought another one recently, and made a cool grand off the deal... KIDDING! (but if only!)

Actually, the real story is, I didn't receive the camera until earlier this year. That wasn't Guy's fault. It was due to the production problems that Blackmagic had with the sensors of the Cinema Camera... so were were waiting with much anticipation for a long time!

On a related note, totally random occurrence... I added a very last minute addition to my tour last October in New York. For those who don't know, I'm a magician & comic and I currently travel to different colleges & corporate venues throughout the country. Anyway, so I've just landed and am taking the subway into the city. Lo and behold, sitting in the same car across from me... Guy Cochran!! Let's put this into perspective here -- there are 8 million people living in NYC alone. On a random day, aboard a random subway in a random subway car, among the countless amount of subways and taxis, there I was, a guy from California, sitting across from THE Guy Cochran, a guy from Washington!

Guy and I have never met before, and I wasn't sure if it was him at first. But I've watched a ton of his videos; and once he turned and I saw the pony-tail, I knew it had to be him, haha. We ended up saying hello, he came to see my show, and we just hung out the rest of the evening. Everyone here knows Guy is a super generous guy, and I can tell you that it goes beyond that when you chat with him in person! He's awesome to talk to, and he loves talking all things tech!

Toni... Dick's CC is a beast of a camera, and I've had quite the fascinating time learning how to use it. On one hand, the buttons & form-factor, the workflow, and the shape & weight of the camera takes some getting used to. On the other hand, once you get rolling with that thing, it's a pretty simple camera to use -- just set it, then point and shoot! That said, I think it's a bit much to be a run-and-gun camera (something the BMPC is perfect for!), but you really CAN use the CC under some tough and time-intensive conditions. I'm amazed at the amount of information and color tweaking you can pull in post!

I've mostly been using some volunteer projects as my "testbed" for the camera (heheh... low risk, high reward). Recently, I shot one of the episodes of my web-series using the CC. It was a really quick shoot -- flew by the seat of our pants, and edited and color corrected in Premiere. I didn't want to tackle the color on DaVinci just yet, which I'm still learning! I don't want to hijack this thread by putting a big video here, so just go to YouTube and search for, "Reasons Not to Date a Magician ep.4".

Okay, all that said, have a GREAT time with DVC23!! I'll be lurking around and watching the videos at the end of the month! For the new folks, participate, participate, participate! You'll learn a ton from everyone here, and aside from your actual project, you'll have an even better time exchanging notes throughout the forum! If you sign up and don't submit a film, be sure to say hi to Robert at the Wall of Shame ;) Don't worry, we've all been there!

[edit: Paul -- your post appeared while I was typing up my post. Sincere condolences for your mother-in-law]
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #44
Major Player

Paul, I'm sorry to hear the news, all my best to you and yours. Glad to know there's a "we" to help you through a time like this.

Joseph, I suppose I'm tootling along as well as can be expected. Without any actors at my disposal, or the social skills to meet new people, and with what I'd call a health concern that keeps me close to home, there hasn't been occasion to exercise any of the things one learns on these boards, and I just stopped coming by after a while.

For the past couple of years I've been focusing on more isolated pursuits, namely software development. The big thing drawing my attention, and dragging on way too long at this point, is an updated version of TurnsTile that works under Avxsynth and Vapoursynth as well as Avisynth. The code is well on its way, I just tend to get distracted and wander off to other things, and what should take a month ends up taking a year and a half.

I also wrote a videogame creepypasta, if anyone here's in to that sort of thing. If you don't know what that sort of thing is, congratulations! You're an adult.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Am I too late? If not, please sign me up! I couldn't do it from the office, unfortunately :(
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge