DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC 23 Theme Announcement!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/518918-dvc-23-theme-announcement.html)

Lorinda Norton September 13th, 2013 10:40 AM

DVC 23 Theme Announcement!!

1 Attachment(s)
HERE WE GO!!! This is going to be one exciting challenge, and I encourage each one of you to set your eyes on the prize and commit to finishing. The DV Challenge is just that—a challenge to use the next 17 days to produce and submit a 3-minute film using the theme:

MYSTERY

Remember, it’s the theme, not a genre. The possibilities are nearly endless, so there are no excuses for not coming up with something! If you need help, here’s a broad genre chart: Movie Genres Chart

After reviewing the DVC rules: The DV Challenge: * Official Rules, under the Guidelines I’m making a change. Because the web site isn’t around anymore, rather than opening your film with “The DVChallenge.com presents,” please simplify that to “The DV Challenge presents.”

Also, in your credits you are very welcome to include DVinfo(dot)Net so that your prize-winning film attracts more people to this great site and board created by our head wrangler, Chris Hurd. We’ll allow you the extra seconds that would add to your film, because we are so grateful to Chris for giving the DVC a home!

If you have been living under a rock lately and don’t know the prize, we are proud to say once again that our awesome sponsor, Guy Cochran of DVeStore has offered to the winner a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera!! http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-chall...y-craaazy.html

Any questions? Ask them right here. Okay. You’ve got your theme and the BPCC dangled in front of you, so in the words of our beloved DV Challenge creator, Dylan Couper, “Go, Go, GO!!!”

Lorinda Norton September 13th, 2013 10:41 AM

Re: DVC 23 Theme Announcement!!

Thanks and credit to Stephanie at DVestore.com for the great graphic!

Oh yeah...the sign up remains OPEN!!

Marc Burleigh September 13th, 2013 10:46 AM

OK, "mystery".... Got it! And we're off (for an evening of drinking to ruminate for the scipt)....

Tim Lewis September 13th, 2013 07:00 PM

Funny, from the first announcement, I thought the theme was "ready".

Total rethink!

Lorinda Norton September 13th, 2013 07:30 PM

Ha! Tim, you don't how how tempted I was to go with that. Wouldn't have fooled you for a second! :)

Lorinda Norton September 15th, 2013 10:28 AM

For those of you who have never tried to pack a complete story into 3 minutes, here's a great example. Yes, it's an ad, but could easily be a short film:

If I remember correctly, a 3-minute film equates to about a 1 1/2 page script. So if you are writing and are on page 5 already...might want to rethink your story or figure out a way to tighten it up!

Randy Smith September 15th, 2013 05:10 PM

I am definitely going to have to tighten up my script. I have been writing most of today, I am 5 pages in, but probably just over half done the story.

I love the three-minute limitation, but am finding this one challenging, because I am trying to slowly unravel the mystery. I'm going to have to make my pace a lot peppier.

Hoping to finish up draft one tonight, then sleep on it, and chop it to pieces tomorrow. :)

Dick Mays September 15th, 2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Burleigh (Post 1812864)
OK, "mystery".... Got it! And we're off (for an evening of drinking to ruminate for the scipt)....

Marc is a lightweight. I dedicate a whole weekend of drinking to formulate the concept. Where is your dedication to the art?

Dick Mays September 15th, 2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1813177)
For those of you who have never tried to pack a complete story into 3 minutes, here's a great example. Yes, it's an ad, but could easily be a short film:

I count that as three minutes and three seconds. Disqualified! Looks like something Joseph Tran would make...

Lorinda Norton September 15th, 2013 06:45 PM

Nope! It wouldn't be disqualified; extra time for "credits" is allowed! :)

This is so good on so many levels. Love the foresight in shot selections, like when she looks up then it cuts to the doctor looking up, someone brushing past her in the hospital rather than just cutting to her standing alone--little details like that. This is a good one to study.

Lorinda Norton September 15th, 2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Smith (Post 1813222)
I love the three-minute limitation, but am finding this one challenging, because I am trying to slowly unravel the mystery. I'm going to have to make my pace a lot peppier.

You're on the right track with the pacing comment, Randy! You'll be amazed at how the 3-minute limitation will hone your writing skills, creativity, and editing.

Jay Bratcher September 15th, 2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Smith (Post 1813222)
I am definitely going to have to tighten up my script. I have been writing most of today, I am 5 pages in, but probably just over half done the story.

Glad to hear that I am not alone... We did a table reading last night, and mine clocked in at about 4:30... I'll have to save that for the director's cut, I guess :)

Tim Lewis September 15th, 2013 07:44 PM

That's a really great example Lorinda. I cannot say that my effort will aspire to such lofty ideals. I have only one line of script, so I guess that will fit within three minutes.

Marc Burleigh September 16th, 2013 04:45 AM

Damn, and I thought 1 page = 1 minute. My script came out at 3.5 pages. I was kinda hoping that, as there is little dialogue, I'd be able to compress the action.

Guess I'm really going to have to storyboard and time the shots....

Marc Burleigh September 16th, 2013 04:49 AM

And Dick... I guess it's how hard you 'ruminate', not how long. 12-year-old sigle-malt rumination seems to work pretty well.