DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Feedback for "Liquid" - DVC4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/56221-feedback-liquid-dvc4.html)

Mugurel Dragusin December 17th, 2005 12:02 AM

Feedback for "Liquid" - DVC4

I guess if you're here you have probably watch my submission. Thank you.

I invite you to submit your feedback regarding this short fil...video. What you like, what you don't like and most of all, why.

As a short production log, all started when the theme was posted, me and my wife started to think on some idea. The problem was that we definitely didn't wanted to come up with some semi-transparent spirits showing on the screen or other such cliché, we wanted something unique, we wanted to show the idea of a spirit as without mentioning it directly but to let the viewer figure it out. After several hours it came out and we started to plan. Saturday we have shot and Sunday night we were looking at this piece of short.

Thanks again for your time watching.

Sean McHenry December 17th, 2005 12:27 AM

I'm not getting it yet but it's late and I am on doctor prescribed narcotics right now. I did download it to my laptop so I can watch it several more times whenever I want.

I'll post more when I can take the time to figure it out.

Looking good though. I'll give them all more attention tomorrow.

Sean McHenry

Mike Teutsch December 17th, 2005 08:32 AM

Can't download the Movie!

Mugurel,

The posted link gets me to the website, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to watch your movie. Please help.

Mike

Mugurel Dragusin December 17th, 2005 08:42 AM

Link

Mike,

In order to view the movie, after you click on the link, on the displayed page go to the bottom side and click the button that says "FREE" and it will let you download it.

Mugurel

Lorinda Norton December 17th, 2005 04:28 PM

Mugurel,

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as Mike on this one. The first link just sits there; the other two try to download but then I get the message "unable to locate files."

Maybe I can try from a friend's computer later; for now I just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring your work!!! :)

Mike Teutsch December 17th, 2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Mugurel,

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as Mike on this one. The first link just sits there; the other two try to download but then I get the message "unable to locate files."

Maybe I can try from a friend's computer later; for now I just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring your work!!! :)

It is very hard to find. On the first page click on the free and that will send you to another page. About 2/3s of the way down you will see:

"You have requested the file Liquid320.wmv (5123107 Bytes). This file has been downloaded 13 times already.
IMPORTANT: Download-accelerators are only supported with a PREMIUM-Account!"

Under that you will see:

"No premium-user. Please enter here:"

It will give a three digit code, like HCL in big colorful letters.
Enter that and then hit download.

Then it finally works!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Lorinda Norton December 17th, 2005 05:20 PM

Nope. I did all that. I think it's my computer...

But, thanks, Big Guy! :)

Mugurel Dragusin December 17th, 2005 10:28 PM

Hmm

I am using this rapidshare to transfer different files and had no issues, never thought would be so difficult. I am trying to find another place for the files if some of you still haven't got it.

Well, all started with me being first time here and not sure what download amount should I expect, that's why I haven't put the files on my hosting account.

Here are the links:

Hi version
http://www.digitallymotion.com/dvc4/Liquid720.mov
Lo version
http://s1.digitallymotion.com/~jq/Liquid360.mov

Jean-Francois Robichaud December 18th, 2005 02:17 PM

Interesting... But I really don't get it though. Could you tell us a bit more about it, shine some light on it?

On a technical side, the composition is too tight. You did a crop to get something like a 2.35:1 ratio, but this create problems, especially in the wide shot in the beginning: it crops almost at the eye level. You should have reframed the shot lower in post before cropping. Or you should have used guides while shooting to get a more appropriate composition for the ratio.

Mugurel Dragusin December 18th, 2005 02:45 PM

Story.

If it doesn't say it then the story is not well told or is too subtle.

Well, it is actually a dream and like probably most of people, sometime in their lives had a dream of peeing, and when they woke up they found out that they actually pee and it did not happen in the right place :)

Dick Mays December 19th, 2005 03:00 AM

Mugurel,

I've never had the dream of peeing, or the experience of waking up to discover I had peed in my sleep. Not the kind of dream I have. Now I have had other kinds of dream, and woken up... but this is a family forum.

I think you told your story well enough. You did avoid the cliche's on spirit, but I don't believe the story (a treatment on the blurring of reality and the dream world), is as strong as it could be. I'd have picked some relationship oriented subject (we care about people) rather than a physical act, (the need to pee), as the topic to blur. Maybe she dreams that she kills her abusive husband and wakes up with a bloody knife in her hand, thinks she actually did it, and then just then, her husband walks in wanting to know what's for dinner, and we see the bloody steak on the table.

I did like the extremely wide 2.35 aspect ratio. It worked well for me as your wife reclined on the sofa. Did you do this with a special lens, or was it cropped?

Mugurel Dragusin December 19th, 2005 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays
I did like the extremely wide 2.35 aspect ratio. It worked well for me as your wife reclined on the sofa. Did you do this with a special lens, or was it cropped?...

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. The wide aspect is created by cropping.

Sean McHenry December 19th, 2005 11:01 AM

I thought it was crazy thin. I didn't measure the screen but yes, I too was wondering if it was cropped. First person to use 2.35:1 here I think. Kudos on the framing then too.

Sean McHenry

Craig Bellaire December 20th, 2005 09:28 AM

Sorry

But I just didn't get the film.. I guess when people are all over the world doing this we can get a better perspective on what others think/ believe/ and even humor... But again I didn't get why someone would look at their crotch for a final shot...