Feedback on "Shark Hunting" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old December 18th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Feedback on "Shark Hunting"

Hi everyone, this was the first time I did something for the web, or entered this kind of contest. I had a blast doing it. It got me off my ass and it made me use all my resources and all my energy to create something that I'm proud of, and doing it in such a short time was a great challenge.

I hope you enjoyed the movie, and any kind of feedback or questions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jimmy Bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I haven't been able to download it so far. Can you you tell me how to do it? The site doesn't work for me.

Mike
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #3
New Boot

To watch

Just click on the Quicktime Icon, and it should take about 2 min to download.
I'll try to make a windows media player file with in the next hour.
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Jimmy

Dude this is a very nice video.... WOW
OK How'd you get into a Jail to film this?
Also very nice camera work...

Just a nice video
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yours was the first entry from DVC4 that I watched, and easily my favorite so far (I've seen 6). The first thing that got me was the quality of the cinematography. From the first shot, the look is amazing. Great atmospheric lighting. What camera did you use? Did you do any post color correction?

The voice over by the boy is great ("We'll hit the beaches, check out the babes, and then go shark-hunting"). And by that I mean both the writing and the delivery. The grandpa is very expressive even though he does not talk. You can feel he's holding back his tears as he looks at that picture (I know I was).

The music worked perfectly well. I especially love the last few grating beats of the music, that really drive the point home. The editing is great, perfect pacing.

The only complaint I would have is that I could see the ending coming from a mile away. As soon as the boys tape started, it was obvious to me how it would end. Knowing that didn't make the movie less effective, however. It just meant I did not get a surprise at the end.
Jean-Francois Robichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bustos
Just click on the Quicktime Icon, and it should take about 2 min to download.
I'll try to make a windows media player file with in the next hour.
Thanks, would not work with Netscape, I had to switch to Internet Explorer, but then it worked.

Mike
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

This movie ruled. I loved it. It was so well made, in every aspect. I was especially impressed with the boy's voice acting. It was so believable and real. The reveal was excellent. I did not expect it and it carried so much impact when it happened. Man this was good.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Jimmy, I can't download your movie. When I click on the Quicktime icon, it displays a page with :
"Putfile Unavailable In Your Region

Due to persistent abuse we regret we are not providing service to your region at this time."

I swear I did not abuse Putfile, I am a good boy. Santa, come back !
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #9
Wrangler

Jimmy, this is an excellent movie. I got caught up in it immediately, and the feel you captured impressed me to no end. Wonderful !!!

My favorite scene? Near the end, when "Papa" moves away from the picture and we first see the faint blur of the bars... WOW!!!
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Great

Definitelly my favorite by now. Very well done. Great story telling, especially with a title that in the first place looks like a "mistitling" if may I say so, but then fits perfectly :)

I don't think is not subtle, I find it subtle enough, just right.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:35 PM   #11
New Boot

Try this link Benjamin http://www.vimeo.com/user=VictorLobo it's only good till today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Durin
Jimmy, I can't download your movie. When I click on the Quicktime icon, it displays a page with :
"Putfile Unavailable In Your Region

Due to persistent abuse we regret we are not providing service to your region at this time."

I swear I did not abuse Putfile, I am a good boy. Santa, come back !
Try this link Benjamin http://www.vimeo.com/user=VictorLobo it's only good till today. Good luck.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Awesome short. Really good editing and cinematography. And some high-priority locations there! Nice work! So far, this is my fav of the vids posted. Really good work.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #13
New Boot

Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bellaire
Dude this is a very nice video.... WOW
OK How'd you get into a Jail to film this?
Also very nice camera work...

Just a nice video
Thanks Craig,
My friend Rick works at a house moving company that owns the property where this beautiful abandoned military prison sits. Rick had to do a lot of sweet talking to the landowners and lawyers. They gave us 2 hours to get the final shots. Thanks to them it worked out.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #14
New Boot

Ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois Robichaud
Yours was the first entry from DVC4 that I watched, and easily my favorite so far (I've seen 6). The first thing that got me was the quality of the cinematography. From the first shot, the look is amazing. Great atmospheric lighting. What camera did you use? Did you do any post color correction?

The voice over by the boy is great ("We'll hit the beaches, check out the babes, and then go shark-hunting"). And by that I mean both the writing and the delivery. The grandpa is very expressive even though he does not talk. You can feel he's holding back his tears as he looks at that picture (I know I was).

The music worked perfectly well. I especially love the last few grating beats of the music, that really drive the point home. The editing is great, perfect pacing.

The only complaint I would have is that I could see the ending coming from a mile away. As soon as the boys tape started, it was obvious to me how it would end. Knowing that didn't make the movie less effective, however. It just meant I did not get a surprise at the end.
Thanks Jean-Francois,
The ending might of had too much foreshowding, but I realized that if you knew what was happing early it wouldn't ruin the short, because it is also a story about family, the good and the bad.
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #15
New Boot

Voice acting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Stookey
This movie ruled. I loved it. It was so well made, in every aspect. I was especially impressed with the boy's voice acting. It was so believable and real. The reveal was excellent. I did not expect it and it carried so much impact when it happened. Man this was good.
Thanks Mitchell
The voice came from my little brother Seb, I din't do much in coaching him, I just asked to think that he was sending a message to Grandpa that passed away last year. He felt happy doing it because he didn't really have a chance to give him a message for real.
Jimmy Bustos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge