DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Oh a problem with the timing of DVC5, NEED FEEDBACK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/61395-oh-problem-timing-dvc5-need-feedback.html)

Dylan Couper February 23rd, 2006 08:33 PM

Oh a problem with the timing of DVC5, NEED FEEDBACK

Hmm...
I've got a problem.
I got an interesting job offer for a shoot today.
Problem 1, it starts March 20th.
Problem 2, it is in South Africa.

I've got a couple options:
1) Move DVC5 up to March 2nd to March 12th.
2) Move DVC5 back to April 6th to APril 16th.
3) Keep the time the same, but do the posting/judging when I get back early April.
4) Leave it the same and let someone else run all the judging (might be hard).
5) Not go to Africa (a HA ha HA!)

I'm leaning towards #1.
If the date gets changed, full Wall Of Shame amnesty will be given to those who can't make a new date. I haven't 100% accepted the gig yet, but will likely do so in the next 3 days.

Robert Martens February 23rd, 2006 08:52 PM

I'm fine with any of them, 'cept number five, of course; you've got a job offer you're interested in, I say go for it. I'll be busier than normal starting the twenty-eighth (my dad's going in to the hospital to get a growth removed from his spine that day, so he'll be out of commission for a while), but that's the challenge, isn't it? :)

Naturally, though, I'm a flexible guy--that's why I'm so popular with the ladies--so whatever you want to do is a-okay from where I'm standing.

Edward Slonaker February 23rd, 2006 09:00 PM

March 2nd?? That's next week! Do it, DO IT!!!

Really, either way is fine....although waiting until April will prolong the agony. This'll be my first DVC and I'm eager to get started.

Good luck in S. Africa! Sounds exciting.

PS: wife wants to know if you need a photographer along.... http://www.photo.net/photos/Kimi she's from Prince George (originally)

Sean McHenry February 23rd, 2006 09:02 PM

You know I'm flexible. Lot's going on here too. However the wind blows, it'll still be sand in my face.

Take the job you fool.

Sean

Chris Barcellos February 23rd, 2006 09:14 PM

Do what you have to

Do what you have to do, but go easy on wall of shame if you move time up. Some of us may have other obligations.

How about earlier announcement, later submission, and longer allowed runtime.

Bill Hamell February 23rd, 2006 09:19 PM

This would have been my first one. ;-( If it is next week I'll have to remove my entry. Not sure about April I would have to contact everyone again to find out. :-(
But business is business.

Three then four would be my choices.

Bill

Mike Teutsch February 23rd, 2006 09:23 PM

Africa, what's in Africa?

I say go for it! If I don't make this one, I will get in the next!

Good luck Dylan, and I'm jealous. That probably sounds strange since I'm going to Costa Rica on the 1st! But I have been to Costa Rica. Don't forget your suntan lotion----err----sun screen! Talk about a climate change! How many miles is that?

Have fun man.

Mike

Lorinda Norton February 23rd, 2006 09:44 PM

1 or 2: Okay, though I hate to see Mike and others miss out on this one if it's early.
3, 4, 5: Not good.

South Africa! Sounds like a blast, Dylan. I hope everything works out for you to go. Need a roadie? :)

Hugo Pinto February 24th, 2006 12:52 AM

Dylan, first of all, congrats for the gig! Africa can be quite an experience.

I´m moving back to Portugal on the 5th, so, no guarantees on whether I can make the deadline as it collides with my house move. But hey, if I can't make it to DVC#5, I'll make it to #6!

My favorites are 2 & 3, but don't let me stop the challenge!

Best of luck in Africa,

Hugo

Dennis Khaye February 24th, 2006 08:49 AM

Moving it up works for me but I wouldn't be able to do it for those April dates. Congrats on the gig Dylan, sounds like it's more than a job, it's an adventure. Three sounds like the least trouble. Four sounds like an upper echelon decision. Unless I miss my guess 5 was rhetorical.

Greg Boston February 24th, 2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
How about earlier announcement, later submission, and longer allowed runtime.

I think this is a good idea.

Dylan, why not leave the starting date the same, go do your gig, and let folks submit their work when you are back. Giving people more time on the project might bring more participation and perhaps a higher quality final product.

Whaddaya think?

-gb-

Brian McKay February 24th, 2006 09:18 AM

I had to hold back from entering due to the proposed dates in March, however if it's changed to April....count me in.

Brian

Dylan Couper February 24th, 2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Dylan, why not leave the starting date the same, go do your gig, and let folks submit their work when you are back. Giving people more time on the project might bring more participation and perhaps a higher quality final product.
-gb-

Make it easier for people? Grrr..... :)
Actually, that is a pretty fair idea.

Consider this option 6:
Start date remains the same, finish date will be April 1st (or so).

Jean-Philippe Archibald February 24th, 2006 09:43 AM

#6 for me!!! I am pretty busy this week, so starting on march 2nd is almost impossible for me... But I would love to submit a well polished short on april 1st !!!

William Gardner February 24th, 2006 09:53 AM

I vote for #6 also...

Bill