How's the progress? - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM   #151
Major Player

Yesterday's shooting was very limited because it rained all afternoon but today's a beautiful day so hopefully I get it all done.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM   #152
Major Player

So everything's been shot, captured, and reviewed, now I'm assembling a rough cut, and it's much more pleasing than I ever imagined it could be; may need to do some ADR (cringe), or better yet just reshoot one particular scene--unless I can get rid of this small bit of annoying reverb--but otherwise things are looking up!

Never knew editing would be as bad as my favorite videogames in terms of "time travel" factor; hours disappear in the blink of an eye, and yet somehow, I can't wait to get up tomorrow and get back to work.

Hope all's well with everyone else!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM   #153
Major Player

yeah, all my stuff is shot and all but the last scene captured and there's already a rough cut in place. All I need to do is add the voiceovers which have also been recorded and the last scene I shot. I also need to add audio and it shall be complete.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:30 AM   #154
Major Player

I'm with you folks...been editing until the 'ol eyeballs fall out. However, like Robert, am ready to get up early and keep at it.

Chopping up 4.5 hours of tape into 5 minutes or less always seems to take some time and it doesn't help matters that I just can't seem to stop tweeking the edits!
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM   #155
Trustee

If you have CSPAN, it's all paid for by public money as far as I know which makes it all availabe for use wherever. Your tax dollars pay for it so you own a percentage. That's my story and I'm sticking to it - until the feds show up at the door then it's everyone for themselves...

I would think that would be safe to use. It would be especially good if you want to show a scene with a certain "boredom" factor.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
If you have CSPAN, it's all paid for by public money as far as I know which makes it all availabe for use wherever. Your tax dollars pay for it so you own a percentage. That's my story and I'm sticking to it - until the feds show up at the door then it's everyone for themselves...

I would think that would be safe to use. It would be especially good if you want to show a scene with a certain "boredom" factor.
Whoa!....has my coffee not kicked in, yet?? I've read this 4 times along with preceeding comments and still can't make a connection...

Too many windows open, Sean? LOL!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM   #157
Regular Crew

I'm done with the main shoot. Shot everything in one long day, and I'm still exhausted. I'm just gonna babble a bit about where I am.

THE FOREST SCENES
The outdoor scenes were murder. Lots of ticks and poison ivy (yeah, Arkansas). The day started off as overcast, and then suddenly, out of nowhere, the sun appeared. So basically, the first scenes are darker than the later scenes -- and I had to constantly fight overexposure on the actor's white dress. And because of the weather forecast, I stupidly left my reflector at home and now there are some awkward shadows on the actor's face.

THE INDOOR SCENES
This was my second time using the FX1, but the first time I used it heavily. I think I underexposed a few of the indoor scenes -- but I'll just have to live wit h it for now. I didn't want to jack up the gain too much, because I'm not a big fan of grain. I wish I had an external monitor. However, my little girl actor was amazing. Absolutely stunning performance.

THE GREEN SCREENS
I always have this tendency of being more ambitious than I should be. This is my first time doing some green screens, and perhaps I should've done some tests beforehand. :) I'm using Vegas Video to chroma key and I set up a ghetto green screen. One of the keys worked out beautifully. But the others have been disappointing. Lots of fringes -- but I'm still playing with the mask.

RESHOOTS AND EDITS
I wasn't able to get a fake human heart and lungs -- and I no longer have time to shoot it. But I may have to reshoot the little girl's scream and the morphing effect. I started editing and doing some color correction yesterday, and so far, it's looking pretty nice. Despite my indoor scenes, the FX1 is a truly amazing camera. And I'm suprisingly able to do some really nice demonic eyes for the evil queen, just using the media generator in Vegas.

Now I've just got to hussle with the editing and oh, yeah, compose the music. Why do I never keep things simple? Hopefully, I'll be able to get it done in time. If not, I'll still post it when I'm finished.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #158
Major Player

Wow! I think my production (which is finished and posted) will be a little pale in comparison to yours. Forests, green screens, evil queen? sounds like it was fun.

Yeah, I love the FX1. I used it quite a bit on this project. REALLY got familiar with some of the settings. One (of many) thing I'm thankful for this DVC.

Looking forward to seeing your movie.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #159
Major Player

I was going to use the DV500 to shoot, but it choked on a tape and requires surgery. That'll be a trip to Melbourne no doubt.

Back to PD150 (only). Finally did most of the shooting over the weekend. Took me too long to make a script and get it edited by other folk. But I should have an entry this time. But we still have another scene to shoot, and with wintery weather on the way. They're talking about snow and I need Sunny weather for 1hr when the 'talent' is present. And it needs to be dry, or it just won't make sense in the script. But at this point I'll take it, even if it's not what it should be.

Just using and family and friends for actors. More organisation needed next time, and hopefully will have networked with some theatre people by then. Seriously need to delegate parts of pre-production too. But learning lots - especially about how little goes to plan, and you forget to do too many things when you're doing it. And a garden cart does not a dolly make - need more weight, especially coupled with the camera. Canned those shots when I played them back.
I also had the Sun going in and out - overcast helped even the light out though, but you really had to watch the exposures (Zebra is your friend).

Still have loads of sound tweaking to do (and offscreen voices to rerecord - I had to delegate boom operations), but the basic edit is in place. Need to try different music to it also - though it's limited to the royalty free library. Some carefully placed sound effects would help too.

So far I have about 40 mins on tape, making about 2.5 mins of current edit, with the one portion still remaining. But I think that will show for itself in the end. Too often there's no real choice as to which take to use - it's the one that sucks least.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM   #160
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kirkpatrick
Now I've just got to hussle with the editing and oh, yeah, compose the music. Why do I never keep things simple? Hopefully, I'll be able to get it done in time. If not, I'll still post it when I'm finished.
Keeping things simple is probably a good idea Robert- but one that always seems to escape me as well. Now, the fact you have come so far with such a monumental effort, I sincerely hope you DO finish on time! Go for it!
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM   #161
Major Player

Done! Hurrah!

While I was glad that the challenge lasted more than 10 days this time, I sure did spend more time on this than I expected... :)

My main sadness is that the web versions look so mediocre compared to the full, HD glory produced by my Sony Z1U.

Good luck, everybody! Finish, finish, finish!

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM   #162
Major Player

Wow, Tyler Baptist and I used my Z1 for our projects and I've seen at least three other people who have used Z1/FX1s for theirs. Should be interesting to see what kind of images we can get out of them.

I did most of my shooting yesterday and hopefully the last of it will be done tonight. I also helped Tyler with his this afternoon.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM   #163
Major Player

Minor setback.

I finished shooting all the nude scenes on Saturday, but spent so much time in the editing room on Sunday, I believe my wife has rootkited my computer.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #164
Major Player

Nude scenes? In a freely available movie? Heck, you've got my vote! :)

Finished my own rough cut about half an hour ago, showed it to my father, who tells me he's pleased with it, and got the point I was trying to get across. So all that's left is to rerecord one particular voiceover (I've fallen victim to the "cell phones as the new cigarettes" bug, I'm sorry to say--not one, but TWO phone conversations in one movie), add in a select few sound effects, add some crossfades and color correct a shot or two.

I can see the finish line, and it looks good.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM   #165
Major Player

Holy cow, I feel completly out gunned. Z1's, green screens, no little puppies or kids? I spent 50 bucks on parts to make a dolly, 30 bucks on scotch and wine, 10 bucks on tape, 40 bucks on new bulbs, 40 bucks on sandwiches. I shot everything on a DVC30, My dad doesn't get the idea, but then again he thinks everything I do is a bad idea.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge