How's the progress? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old March 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #16
Trustee

I am going to have an anurism before the comp is up, I know it. Writing blows.
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Boyer
I've got the first draft of my wall of shame excuse written.
HAHAHAHA! Well you've got 3 weeks to perfect it, so I expect something exemplary!
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Waffle House
Damn! I wish we had Waffle Houses in Portland. Beautiful scenery is so cliche.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I'm prety sure Lisbon will provide a beautiful background; I have loads of ideas on how to use the theme visually; I even did some location scouting...

...I'm just missing a story ;)

Illumination will come. In the last days, probably.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #20
Trustee

I am going to take the cliche' to a new level. In fact, when I'm done they will have to invent a new word for how cliche' I went. The thing is, I plan to do it very, very interestingly...

I could say more but, nope.

The inspiration for what I am going to attempt comes from an old Bogie movie I saw not too long ago. Actually, that's more of a hint than I want to give away so forget I said that.

So, I have characters and a situation, and ideas for camera angles but no compelling motivation for the action in the piece. Hmm, 3 acts huh. Luckily, not enough time for 3 acts in 5 minutes or under.

Still working it all out.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Like I said in the DVC5 question thread. . .I'm done writing it, and I've got each camera shot I want written out so I make sure to get it. I've watched it in my head several times and it turned out decent, now all I have to do is plug in a firewire from my brain to the computer for capture. . . .wait, it isn't that easy? damn.
Steve Shilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #22
Major Player

Wouldn't it be funny if we all had the same idea? That's what I'm worried about...
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #23
Major Player

I was thinking the same thing.... I read the word "cliche'" used on here and that's what I'm wondering my entry will be viewed as....

When the theme was announced, the idea for my video hit me like a bolt of lightning; right down to knowing what music I wanted to use.

It's gonna be interesting....
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #24
Major Player

Took me a while, and it definitely wasn't lightning -- more like a mud slide.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #25
Major Player

Okay, here's the dilemna: My Adobe Production Studio just arrived. Dare I load it or wait until after DVC#5 is done? Is there THAT much difference between PPro 1.5 and 2.0???

I want to play!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #26
Wrangler

Edward,

I haven't actually done a whole project with Production Studio yet, but unless you're already pretty far into editing I'd say load it up.

If I'd had the new features of Production Studio it would have saved me TONS of time on my last DVC project (probably half the 20-30 hours of editing / compositing that I did). The workflow is SO much better than Video Collection. The danger is running into bugs...but it seems that the number of gripes about Production Studio are less than previous versions (there's always going to be some griping, after all. Human nature.)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I have an idea, and some people willing to be act in it, but don't have a script yet (although I have started writing a bit of it). Hopefully I can figure it out soon...
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Finally came up with my idea today! Yay... My kids are acting again... hehe...
Josh Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Wait...

...and it shall come!

AND IT DID! I have a workable idea that is not too cliché-ridden, and that I can use within the theme. Good good good good.

Now, it's time to develop it and work it out.

This will require some serious photography skills, though. Well, learning is what the DVC is about, anyway.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #30
Trustee

since I'm sitting out this round (again)

Since the current factors going on around me don't afford me the time to play this round (as was with the last DVC), I guess I will just throw this out there since so many folks are confessing writers block....this is the first idea that came to mind when I read about the theme and the requisite shots of one's surroundings (and it is very vaguely based on a short story I started writing several years ago about an old man re-connecting with the spirits of his past)...the twist with my current idea has to do with the fact that it has been raining fairly consistently here for quite a while...

Anyway, since I'm not doing this challenge, maybe these thoughts might fuel someone else's...

I was thinking about setting the stage of a small town that draws the main character 'back home' to re-connect' with his past - various scenes interspersed between him remembering at the scene, and his actual memories.

It is at a rainy time of year and the settings and weather hint at possible circumstances as to why he left in the first place (...think...tragic accident during a rain storm in which he lost the person or people he loved)...

Visual elements would include wisps of these people (the ghosts) visible only in the rain puddles as he passes.

A cliche on the theme would also include much of the scenery itself viewed in rain puddle reflections.

It could be very cool and touching if done right, and even with requisite compositing I think this would be do-able in the given amount of time.

It is something I would enjoy watching....so maybe it helps fuel someone's ideas.

Have fun....I am looking forward to checkin' out the entries.

Also, thanks to Guy and Mike for your generous support of the DVC.
-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge