How's the progress? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old March 21st, 2006, 07:27 AM   #76
Major Player

[QUOTE=Lorinda Norton]LOL, Dick! As usual, you crack me up with your ultra-dry humor. Hope it works out for you this weekend.
QUOTE]

What? Was I the only one here planning to go to Sundance with my short? I was told 35mm was the way to go for optimum viewing...
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM   #77
Wrangler

just got back from schlepping my gear three vertical miles (then back) in deep snow, with a recently injured knee, just to get a single shot. which i may or may not use. dropped my lens cap in the snow twice. wiped out on ice once. is there an award for Most Idiotic? this video is either going to be really cool or really incoherent. it could go either way. i can't tell yet. ppppbbbbbbtt......

toddling off to a hot toddy....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:41 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
dropped my lens cap in the snow twice. wiped out on ice once. is there an award for Most Idiotic?

Did you get it on tape??????? :)

Mike
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM   #79
Wrangler

guess i shoulda worn a helmet cam...probably would have turned out better than the originally intended shot....
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
is there an award for Most Idiotic? this video is either going to be really cool or really incoherent. it could go either way. i can't tell yet.
What, are you reading my mind, or something? But for the name attached to your post, those thoughts could be my own. Only add "cheesy", "predictable" and "self-indulgent" to the list of possibilities. I'm rewriting the scene I've shot twice already to be a bit shorter, more to the point, and in a way that should allow me to do some more convincing acting. I hope the third time's a charm.

Best of luck with whatever you're shooting, Meryem, and I hope you'll eventually post that clip whether it's in your movie or not. Hate to see it go to waste.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM   #81
Major Player

Way to go Meryem!

Yes- I love your determination and certainly know the feeling. At least you are out schlepping :)
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #82
Major Player

I ordered a very essential item off eBay today so now I'm just hoping it will arrive in time. My movie's pretty much ruined if it doesn't. I also sent payment for an Audio-Technica wireless mic I bought on eBay which I'll also be needing.

Hopefully Canada Post comes through for me!
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:22 PM   #83
Wrangler

thanks, robert. what a comfort to know there is such stiff competition for the category of Most Idiotic.

thanks for the encouragement, you guys, and to mark for starting the thread we needed to share our scraped knees (or, as my now-5-year-old sez, our "ow-ies"....)
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM   #84
Major Player

Yeah Mark...

I'm in the exact same boat! Waiting for several ebay items to arrive...lol. A couple came in, but that won't work until the rest show up. Hope your make it in time for you.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM   #85
Major Player

Well the third time was as charming as it's gonna get. The shorter scene is much more natural, I feel, and will make for better storytelling (yeah, that's the ticket). Those interested in lighting, I'm sorry I don't have any photos or diagrams of my actual setup, but you can see a brief example of what I had, and what I ended up with:

http://www.gyroshot.com/images/MartensBefore.jpg
http://www.gyroshot.com/images/MartensAfter.jpg

The first shot's from the first day of shooting, the second is from tonight; you'll note that, thanks to the revised script, I've changed the camera angle significantly, so I'm afraid there's no direct comparison. I never captured the footage from the second shoot, and now that I have what I want--or a reasonable facsimile thereof--I don't plan to. No deck, camera that already needs repair, you know the drill: I'm not taking any chances wearing the thing out further. Don't worry, though, it wasn't anything to write home about. Just a brighter, but still wholly inadequate version of the first night's footage. Even the "good" shot shown above is suspect, in my opinion. I got two takes tonight, each with a different brightness, thanks primarily to the fact that I turned the lights off between takes and forgot what settings I used when I went back. Might use the one I show here, might not. You'll just have to wait and see, suckers!

And this is the ONLY glimpse of me you're gonna get 'til the thing's finished, so savor the moment. If you'd like to download the shots, go right ahead, and use one as a desktop background if you like. Or maybe stare at one and listen to "Baby Elephant Walk". Dee de-dee dee DEE dee dee dee dee dee.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #86
Major Player

Ba dah Ba dum....what a wonderfully annoying song. Thanks! I won't be able to get THAT outta my head for at LEAST a day!

Hey, nice lighting in that second shot. I need to be taking notes. One of my scenes is (supposed to be) inside of a bar. The "challenging" part will be to light it so that it doesn't look like it's lighted. I may try some of those $30 'Grafflight' solutions....

Ba dah dah dah ba dum ba dah bum ba ba da ba da bum.....oh @#$%!!!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM   #87
Regular Crew

ever just shoot something, love the footage, and think the story is half decent. . .then come up with a much sweeter path to take your story thus teasing you to change the last half of the script 100 different ways? Yeah, that's where I'm at. Lucky for me, no re-shooting will have to occur in order to change the ending. I'm also having trouble scoring. . .searching endlessly for the royalty free that will do my story justice. haha
Steve Shilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM   #88
Wrangler

the immortal dave barry advises that the best way to get an annoying tune out of your own head is to go infect someone else with it.....
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM   #89
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
Ba dah Ba dum....what a wonderfully annoying song. Thanks! I won't be able to get THAT outta my head for at LEAST a day!

Ba dah dah dah ba dum ba dah bum ba ba da ba da bum.....oh @#$%!!!

Don't you just hate that! The only way I have found to cure it is to turn the radio on and start singing along. If you sing like me, do it in private. The new song will stop the old one most all of the time, then turn off the radio and see what happens. Sometimes the last song you heard will be the next one going through your head, so pick one you like, but a lot of the time the new one won't "stick."

Concentrate, Concentrate!

Mike
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM   #90
Major Player

Ha ha! Now that you're all preoccupied with that goofy song, my victory is assured! Can't win if you can't concentrate, right? Thirty gig iPod, here I come!

Seriously, though, I just finished shooting a few more scenes (it's like I actually care this time, or something), this time with my parents. They went much better than expected, and we've successfully cleaned up a large part of our kitchen as a result. My mom's quite happy about that. And while we're on the subject, she's the reason I even have half the shots I do; at every turn, for every setup I was unsure of, she had an idea that worked wonderfully. And she's a hell of a set dresser, too. I haven't the slightest idea what credit to give her now.

I'm sure some of you are getting sick of my suddenly happy-go-lucky attitude, but please understand that I've never managed to get this much done, let alone so smoothly, before. If I can keep it up, you'll be annoyed ALL the time.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge