How's the progress? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:53 AM   #91
Regular Crew

I'm glad to see some people not only have ideas, but footage as well. Man, this reflections theme is kicking my ass. I got nothing (good) so far... But hey, I still have two whole weeks, which is plenty of time. Oy.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:22 AM   #92
Major Player

Sticktoitiveness, Robert, that's what I think it's about. For the first week or so, though I had my idea, it felt horrible, and I wanted to give up. At some point I realized just how much time I had left and decided to go ahead with the idea I wasn't too fond of, and it seems to be working out so far. Slow and steady wins the race, mind over matter, that kind of thing; I never knew mere persistence could be so effective, but here I am. Also--can't remember where I read this, sorry--"Don't get it right, get it written" is good advice. You say you have no good ideas, well, get them on paper. That way you actually have something to work with. If it's no good, you can edit it, but we never get to the editing stage if we never write anything in the first place.

Even if you think your ideas aren't good, I say do one of them anyway. If we never get our bad movies out of our heads, we'll never make room for the good ones. And they're probably not that bad, after all. We are our own worst critics, they say.

Might I suggest plugging "reflect" or "reflection" into the search field at http://www.thesaurus.com/? Look through the results, there may be some synonyms that spark an idea or two.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM   #93
Trustee

I'm stagnant. 1 week to go nothing shot. I suck.

On the song, try this link. This will replace that song with another. It least this one has visuals...

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

badger, badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom....

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:14 AM   #94
Major Player

One week to go? I thought we had until midnight on the 8th?
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM   #95
Wrangler

let's take a poll...what is worse, posting something incoherent that only makes sense to you, in your own pea brain, or hanging by your thumbs from the wall of shame?

opinions?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:30 AM   #96
Wrangler

LOL, Meryem! By far, hanging by your thumbs is worse. Your movies are always great. Finish it up so we can enjoy it!!! :)
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:42 AM   #97
Major Player

Too late Meryem. I should have volunteered my thumbs like a man.

But there's always next time for the wall. Thank you sincerely for all the encouragement and guidance.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:46 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
let's take a poll...what is worse, posting something incoherent that only makes sense to you, in your own pea brain, or hanging by your thumbs from the wall of shame?

opinions?

So far it looks like thumbs for me. I guess that would be thumbs down huh!

Mike
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM   #99
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I'm stagnant. 1 week to go nothing shot. I suck.

On the song, try this link. This will replace that song with another. It least this one has visuals...

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

badger, badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom....

Sean McHenry

AAGGHHHHH!!! Curse you Sean McHenry!

I clicked on your link....silly me.

And to think that today is my birthday. I am spending it with that sweet little ditty stuck....stuck....STUCK in my head all day long.

lol.

-Jon
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:32 AM   #100
Trustee

Tell me a story...any story

Far be it from me to criticize any of the contenders for writer's block. I'm not even competing this time around, but I can be a cheerleader on the sidelines (no pom pom jokes please)

Although I have learned that it is typically better to plan the production, and write, stage, shoot and edit with a clearly defined plan...sometimes it is okay to just run around with a camera and see what you can come up with in the edit......even if it is just telling a story, sometimes it is fun to watch (as evidenced by my 2 1/2 year old last night sharing what she learned at last week's library storytime session)

http://homepage.mac.com/lunarparcel/...heater131.html

This would never qualify as an entry, but shot in 2 minutes, edited in 3, online in 10 minutes - start to finish - I actually favor it considerably over my entry for DVC #1.....

..but think about what you could do with 2 more weeks to go.

Just grab a camera, drive around and do some pick up shooting for the next 4 days, even if it is just interviewing your neighbors about UFO sightings.....and that still gives you a week and a half to have fun with the edit.

In the end, it is true...the Wall of Shame is only made out of balsa wood, but it really is cool to be able to say you entered, competed and posted something for everyone to see and maybe even enjoy - no matter what it is.

YOU CAN DO IT....RAH RAH RAH.

Enough pep for today...I gotta go get some coffee.
-Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Jones; March 23rd, 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM   #101
Trustee

I panic prematurely... In that case, Wow, only 2 weeks left...

I feel better. I will repeat my earlier message in 1 week.

Badger, badger, badger. A snake! A snake!...

If you can't live with that one in your head, try this one...

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

These scary creatures were used in some Quiznos spots some time back. There were stories on the net (Google Sponge Monkeys) about small children breaking into tears when these things came on. I thought the damn things were real roadkill.

Now you'll be seeing things as well as hearing them. Good luck with that. I'm already warped as previous contest entries will show so these no longer effect me.

Sean

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM   #102
Major Player

I have ideas and a few things written down. I'm going to try to get a more detailed script finished tonight.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM   #103
Trustee

In reality, I have about 3 legal pages with notes for the final scene. The thing won't be chronological, a bit like Momento I suppose. I have a great finish, I just need the stuff in the middle and the stuff at the front. Sounds easy huh?

Anyone done yet?

I wonder if Dylan has access in Africa? That reminds me, why do elephants wear red sneakers? So they can hide in the the cherry trees. Ever seen an elephant in a cherry tree? See how good it works!

Fade In:

Interior, House, Evening

Wide

Some Nut
(smiling)
"Yeah, let them get that tune out of their heads"

He stands up and begins singing.

Some Nut
(like an insane chipmunk scampering to the fridge)
"We love the moon, cause it is good to us"

Sean

Old March 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #104
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Fade In:

Interior, House, Evening

Wide

Some Nut
(smiling)
"Yeah, let them get that tune out of their heads"

He stands up and begins singing.

Some Nut
(like an insane chipmunk scampering to the fridge)
"We love the moon, cause it is good to us"

Sean
You're watching me?
-Jon
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
(as evidenced by my 2 1/2 year old last night sharing what she learned at last week's library storytime session)

http://homepage.mac.com/lunarparcel/...heater131.html

This would never qualify as an entry, but shot in 2 minutes, edited in 3, online in 10 minutes - start to finish - I actually favor it considerably over my entry for DVC #1.....
Johnathan,

Miranda is a lot more watchable and entertaining than my last entry in DVC4! I'm glad you are disqualifyng yourself so the rest of us have a chance!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge