DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DV Challenge 5 JUDGING. You are the judges! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/64975-dv-challenge-5-judging-you-judges.html)

Dylan Couper April 13th, 2006 06:13 AM

DV Challenge 5 JUDGING. You are the judges!

Ok, I liked the way the judging from DVC4 turned out, so I'm going to try it again.

This is how it works...

Everyone who submitted an entry to DVC5 gets to cast a vote for the best films. No, you cannot vote for yourself. Please don't try to follow the current figure skating model of voting (that's a joke people).

Here's what you do:
Watch all the films.
Pick your top 5 favorites based on the criteria of "Reflections" and the use of the city as a backdrop (more details later).
Email me at thedvchallenge@hotmail.com with the subject DVC5 Vote - Your name.
List in order from 1 - 5 the films you think should win. Please give both the name of the filmmaker, and the title of the film.
Done!

"But Dylan," you ask, "there are so many films, how do I possibly decide?"
Here is the system I've used personally for all my DVC judging.
Each time I watch a film I give it two ratings out of 10. One for how well it uses the theme, one for overall production value. I write them down in order as I go, and if I find that they stack up better or worse to other films, I move their points up and down a little bit.

For example:
________Theme/Story ______ Production
Film A________9_____________ 9.5
Film B________8______________9
Film C________7______________7
Film D________5______________7
Film E________8______________3

By the end I find I have a list that represents fairly accurately what I would have chosen anyway, and no films get forgotten. I will go back and rewatch my top 5 just to make sure they are as I remember them.

Scott Cozad April 13th, 2006 08:45 AM

Deadline?

Dylan, is there a deadline for submitting the votes?

Dylan Couper April 13th, 2006 06:24 PM

Hmm, I think 5 to 7 days after the last film is posted.

Bruce Broussard April 14th, 2006 10:14 AM

Where are the links ?

Dylan,

I couldn't find them but my page was cached. I found them.

Robert Kirkpatrick April 14th, 2006 01:25 PM

Just curious: will all the films be posted before Thursday, the 20th? I'm leaving for the NAB, and I'm not sure if I'll have the proper internet access to download and make the final vote.

Dylan Couper April 14th, 2006 05:27 PM

Yes. They will all be out by this Monday, Tuesday at latest.

William Gardner April 18th, 2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Yes. They will all be out by this Monday, Tuesday at latest.

I notice that 4 more were posted this morning, making the total 24. Is this all of them? If there are others, will they be posted today or tomorrow?

Thanks much!
Bill

Andrew Khalil April 18th, 2006 09:45 AM

There are definitly more because mine hasn't been posted yet. How is the order they are posted decided (out of curiosity)?

Edward Slonaker April 18th, 2006 09:56 AM

Well, there are definitely more. They must be posting at random because I submitted mine a week before the deadline and it's still not posted. <sigh>

Andrew Khalil April 18th, 2006 10:03 AM

yeah, that's what I thought too because I submitted mine well before the deadline as well.

Dylan Couper April 18th, 2006 10:11 AM

My bad. There is one more day. The final 4 films will be posted tomorrow. Sorry for the scare.

And with half a dozen exceptions, they are posted exactly as they arrived in my inbox. First come first served. The exceptions are mostly people who sent bad links, no links, or updated their stuff at the last minute.

Mark Utley April 19th, 2006 01:07 PM

So do our votes decide the winner or give you a top 5 to pick a winner from?

Dylan Couper April 19th, 2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Utley
So do our votes decide the winner or give you a top 5 to pick a winner from?

Your votes decide the winner. I get a vote as well but it is equal to everyone elses.

Dylan Couper April 23rd, 2006 08:02 PM

Giving time for the rest of the votes to get their choices in. Results will be after I get back from NAB.

Cheers!

Guy Cochran April 27th, 2006 08:44 PM

Hurry up this Video iPod on my desk is getting lonely :)