DVC5 - And the winners are....! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old April 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVC5 - And the winners are....!

Wow, a year after our first DVC we have just wrapped up the biggest challenge yet. 31 completed entries is a pretty impressive number, and I'm proud to be a part of this with all the rest of you.
Just submitting a film is like winning. Talk is cheap and everyone and their uncle are filmmakers these days, so when you actually get something up on screen you are one huge step ahead of everyone else. So here's to you guys and girls!

Next, a big thanks to Guy Cochran at www.dvestore.com for putting up a VIDEO IPOD as a prize! Guy has been with us for a long time and while I still haven't figured out a way to enter and win my own competition, he keeps tempting me to do so with great prizes.

And of course to our own Mike Teutsch who has donated one of his custom made video dollies as a prize. A prize any filmmaker can use!

Also big thanks to Mark Aardsma of ATS Acoustics, a manufacturer of acoustic panels for studios, control rooms, home theater, etc. who has donated a $150 gift certificate to their online store, www.atsacoustics.com

Then there is a big personal thanks to everyone who has donated cash, bought t-shirts (new ones on sale now!) or volunteered in any other way. It is always appreciated!

One personal big thanks to Rob Lohman who has been a huge help both with running the website and with DVC5 as it expanded. Rob, you rock!

And finally to Chris Hurd for giving us a home here on DVinfo.net, the best darn video forum out there!

Ok, now on to the part you really care about... Who won the darn thing?

Well, there were some really fantastic entries. If it wasn't for the judging scheme I set up for this one, I would have drank myself stupid trying to decide. However, there was a pretty even consensus as to the winner... but first the finalists. I pick finalists based on a film recieving a certain number of votes. In this case, because there were so many votes, I set the minimum number of votes to be a finalist at 5. This means at least 5 people had to rank you in the top 5.

Finalists in no particular order:
Bill Hamell - Give Away
Dick Mays - Jeremy’s Letters
Scott Cozad - The Dream Stone
Sean McHenry - A Memory Of A Dream
Michael Fossenkemper- TheWrongTurn
Bradley Marlow- INTROSPECTACLE
Meryem Ersoz - Still Life
Robert Kirkpatrick - The Autumn Queen
Steve Shilson - Tracks of Reality
Bill Gardner - Love Bites
Mark Utley – Fruit Pursuit

In the past, I've announced some runner's up. This time there were several entries that recieved so many votes (and because there is no prize for runners up) that I will post the top five films (in no particular order). They are:

Final Five Finalists Films (not in order)
Michael Fossenkemper - TheWrongTurn
Bill Gardner - Love Bites
Robert Kirkpatrick - The Autumn Queen
Steve Shilson - Tracks of Reality
BradleyMarlow - INTROSPECTACLE

Congrats guys, these five were great!
And yet.... there can be only one champ...

AND THE WINNER OF THE DV CHALLENGE #5 IS:

BILL GARDNER - LOVE BITES

Three cheers for Bill, fantastic entry!
Shoot me an email to get your prizes hooked up, and I'll warm up the laser printer for the now famous cheap certificate!

Thanks you all and I hope to see you all back for DVC6!
Old April 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Congratulations to Bill Gardner.

But you know what I really like about dvinfo? The folks here vote the best film the winner. No politics, Bill wasn't a long time dvinfoer, he just made a really great short that nailed the theme.

So I think we are alll winners, just being in the Company of such wonderful folks!

But I'm winning the next one... :)
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Congratulations William!

Hip hip...hooray! Hip hip...hooray! Hip hip...hooray!

Heart felt props to you William and congratulations on winning DVC#5 with "Love Bites". Well done!

Also-congratulations to everyone who completed their film. This was one fun contest.

As always- thank you Dylan and DV Crew for hosting this incredible competition. It was a blast!

Best Wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Congrats Bill.
Old April 30th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My congrats go out to Bill Gardner, you got my #1 vote. It was well deserved. And I'd like to thank everyone that voted for my short "Tracks of Reality", it's appreciated alot and I took all of your criticism very constructively which will only help me for next time around.

I'd like to thank Dylan for putting this challenge on, if it wasn't for this. . .there wouldn't be such thing as 'Tracks of Reality'. Again, congrats to Bill. . .I can't wait for the next one!!!!

Steve
Steve Shilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Wrangler

casting votes for this was not easy! i would easily have voted for more than five, if i could have.

congratulations, bill. it's quite an achievement to win the top award in this batch of contenders.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Wrangler

Congratulations, Bill !!!!! You did such a great job on your movie--it was the complete package. And now that I got to meet you face-to-face last week it makes applauding you that much sweeter! Go out and celebrate!
Old April 30th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Bring on DVC6!

Congratulations to everyone. I had a blast!
Scott Cozad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Way to go, Bill! I am glad you did it! You strike me as a laid back humble fellow and I'm always happy when the nice guy gets the prize! Besides, I loved your flick. Congrats! I am thrilled to have been part of this and happy that you've raised the bar for which to aspire!
Old April 30th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Way to go!!

Congratulations, Bill (and to the finalists, as well)!!!!! Very well deserved. Y'all have certainly raised the bar for what's to be expected of future DVC's. Excellent job.

I ended up buying a video iPod (cause I knew I was completely blown out of the competition) and am already working on some Podcasts. What a cool gizmo and you're gonna LOVE yours, Bill. Have fun!!!!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Way to go!

Since the beginning me and my wife agreed that this will be the winner, however I kept myself on saying that "wait, we have to see all before we could decide in such way" and here it is.

Congrats!!!
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Congrates Bill on a well deserved victory. It was a tough vote which resorted to a couple of coin toss's on some of them. How much you wanna bet we see some dolly shots on Bill's next entry now that he's the proud owner of a nice dolly:-)
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #13
Major Player

!!!

Wow! I just logged on for a brief moment (as I'm in the middle of crewing an all-day shoot for a friend's short film) and I'm astounded at this news. I am truly humbled and honored that our film won the competition with so many other excellent entries. Thanks everybody so much, I can't tell you how much this means to me and to the rest of the crew.

Looking forward to DVC6! When will that one be, Dylan?

Thanks again everybody,
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #14
Major Player

Good job to everyone, esp. the winner, it was a good competition. DVC6? Guess we'll see.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner
I am truly humbled and honored that our film won the competition with so many other excellent entries.
Major congratulations, man. Your win was well-deserved. That was a really fun film.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge