DVC films on IFC.com? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC films on IFC.com?

Hi Everybody,

I just thought I'd share the following info. I believe that it's been casually mentioned on another DVinfo thread or two, but I think it is particularly relevant for DVC entrants.

The Independent Film Channel (IFC) has a website called medialab.ifc.com which allows filmmakers to submit their shorts (<6 minutes) for public viewing and rating. The films that end up rated highly get played on their national cable TV channel (!!!).

Given that the DVC films are all <6 minutes, I thought that I'd share this info, with the hopes that others who entered the DV challenges might submit their films. Certainly the finalists in the recent DV challenges are better than many if not most of the shorts currently on that site, in my opinion. So please, submit away!

And a final plug: I recently submitted Love Bites on the medialab.ifc.com website. If you've already viewed Love Bites and enjoyed it, may I respectfully ask the favor of registering on the medialab.ifc.com site and rating it positively there? And I suppose if you've seen Love Bites and hated it, then you might as well log on and rate it negatively. :)

Cheers,
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner
if you've seen Love Bites and hated it, then you might as well log on and rate it negatively. :)
That's awfully generous of you Bill. As a note to all the dvinfoers out there, if you hate one of my shorts, please don't feel obliged to log on and rate it negatively!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Bill, thanks for the info. submitted Wrong Turn. I guess the submission is being reviewed. Do you know how long it took for yours to be reviewed?
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Mine took about a week...
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #5
Major Player

And it's doing nicely I see. Cause it's new, good votes mean a lot for the rating right now. So everyone from the DVC drop over there and vote for Bill's video so we can see it on TV.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Weee. mine is finally up on ifc. Go and vote for it if you like it. If you don't like it, well don't vote too harshly.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

OH great, US citizens only. . . . I'm sad now.

Edit : I'm uploading mine anyways, I wanna see how it does regardless if it can't be broadcasted if selected.
Steve Shilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #8
Major Player

For those who are interested, Steve's film is now up on IFC.com also (in addition to mine and Michael's). Check them out, and give them a decent rating if you are so inclined. :)

Bill
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Major Player

You know life sucks when Kinky Karate Callgirls ranks higher than your film.
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #10
Major Player

Unlike in the DV Challenge where each filmmaker gets a single vote, on IFC.com every person can get a single vote.

So if the maker of Kinky Karate Callgirls is part of a frat with 50 members and he talks his buddies into all registering on IFC.com and rating his film highly, he'll beat you out every time.

Don't take the ratings too seriously... :)

Bill
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #11
Major Player

Kinky Karate Call Girls? That's sounds really good.
Love Bites, was nice and all that, but this IS the Internet...
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #12
Major Player

Sun Burns on IFC: Others???

Hi Everybody,

Just a reminder that you can also submit your films on the Independent Film Channel website medialab.ifc.com . If it gets enough votes, it can appear on their national TV channel. From DVC5, my film, Michael's film, and Steve's film were all posted there.

I've just put Sun Burns up. If you liked Sun Burns and have some free time on your hands, please click on the link below and give it a good vote! You may need to register if you haven't already. Thanks much,
Bill

http://medialab.ifc.com/film_detail....id=2529&list=1
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #13
Major Player

@ Bill Gardner: Sounds like a hoot. Thanks for the info.

@ Steve Shilson: You can add a US proxy between your connection and the web site, should work just fine that way.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM   #14
Major Player

In addition to my DVC6 film, I see that BruceB's and JustinT's films are now on the medialab.ifc.com website. In between refreshing over and over to see if Dylan has posted anything, you might want to check out their films over there and give them a good rating: I did. :)

Did anybody else submit their films to the IFC site?

Cheers,
Bill
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yeah this is cool. I'm rating 10 to every DVC entry I find. The people on the site must hate short films or something, all the ratings are like below 4. It reminds me of ZED, a similar Canadian website which you uploaded videos for their television show. They pretty much died since the CBC strike.
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge