Dvc 6 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #61
Wrangler

Short answer, Daniel: SIGN UP!!!

You'll do a great job. :)
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #62
Major Player

I think you'll get a resounding go for it from everyone here. All you really need is that itch to shoot. If you don't manage to finish this time around you are unlikely to be alone and as long as you make an attempt you'll be further along than you are today. Hopfully with valuable lessons for DVC7.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #63
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Speed
Being on the wall of shame is one thing, but I don't want to be frowned upon (especially as a new user) on this site for trying to compete in something that's out of my league.
Longer answer: There is no league here, as far as I can tell. Everyone who enters knows that we're all just trying to tell good stories while working on our skills, have a good time, and encourage each another to keep trying. You have come to the most inviting and safe challenge on the planet, so try not to worry. Just try to have fun shooting, learning and being part of this great community here, okay? :)
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #64
New Boot

Cheers, Ms. Norton, Mr. Holodak, thank you for your advice and support.

I will give it my best shot.
Daniel Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #65
Trustee

even dog-less dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
everyone has at least one dog movie in 'em, .
My contribution to DVC 2 was about a dog whose presence is only 'suggested' in the movie. But my contribution to DVC1 actually was a DOG (aka a real stinker)
-Jon
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Flash?

Will anyone have a problem downloading the newest Flash player? I'll probably use the Studio 8 On2 VP6, and I'm 99 percent sure that only works in the latest player. Would a few people please alert me if you know you cannot download it or if you simply don't want to...

Also, what's the recommended file size for download in these parts? I can get 6mb per minute with a full-res, high quality encoding. Is 18mb too big for anyone?
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #67
Major Player

That's the spirit, Daniel, go for it! I felt the same way at first, and thought this might be above and beyond my capabilities. It was, for the first few contests, but with a month to finish on the most recent one, I finally got something accomplished. It's a learning experience if nothing else, and you're sure to gain something whether you finish or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Ohhhh noooooo. I lost my lead actor and supporting actress to a stupid vacation... drab nater. I'm starting to get a little desperate here.
That sounds like my cue; desperate is my middle name! Not sure if we're allowed to do this, but I'd love to help out if you end up with a part for someone my age. May have to work around my schedule, but I'm always free on weekends, which I imagine is when most of us shoot our entries anyway. Drop me a line if you're interested, I'd like to do some more acting.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris Porter
Will anyone have a problem downloading the newest Flash player? I'll probably use the Studio 8 On2 VP6, and I'm 99 percent sure that only works in the latest player. Would a few people please alert me if you know you cannot download it or if you simply don't want to...

Also, what's the recommended file size for download in these parts? I can get 6mb per minute with a full-res, high quality encoding. Is 18mb too big for anyone?
I prefer downloading the file as either Quicktime or Windows Media. I hate viewing them online on a page. Since there are close to 60 contributions now I might view them all in one streak on a playlist. Perhaps with a couple of beer to accompany me. :)
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
I prefer downloading the file as either Quicktime or Windows Media. I hate viewing them online on a page. Since there are close to 60 contributions now I might view them all in one streak on a playlist. Perhaps with a couple of beer to accompany me. :)
Quicktime, latest version (7), does not play well on some PC's and programs! So just like last time quicktime , older version, and windows will be fine. Just remember that if you wish to use a platform that some can't open and see, you won't get any votes from them, and with this number of entrants it will most likely be one vote per entrant as the last two times. Not my favorite, but a reality based on the number of entries.

One last point, make the movies down loadable, not just view on-line. They may need to viewed many times and we don't have the time to wait 15-30 minutes each time for a fresh download.

Good luck to all-----Mike
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
That's the spirit, Daniel, go for it! I felt the same way at first, and thought this might be above and beyond my capabilities. It was, for the first few contests, but with a month to finish on the most recent one, I finally got something accomplished. It's a learning experience if nothing else, and you're sure to gain something whether you finish or not.

That sounds like my cue; desperate is my middle name! Not sure if we're allowed to do this, but I'd love to help out if you end up with a part for someone my age. May have to work around my schedule, but I'm always free on weekends, which I imagine is when most of us shoot our entries anyway. Drop me a line if you're interested, I'd like to do some more acting.
I might just take you up on that offer. I don't know what age you are, but since I haven't written anything, well I can write it for just about any age. hahaha.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 01:07 AM   #71
Major Player

Oh, that's right. I'm twenty-two, for the record. Sorry I didn't mention that the first time around. Though, to be fair, I'm incredibly talented, and can play any age; twenty-one, twenty-three, twenty-two and a half, you name it.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM   #72
Wrangler

Quote:

A general tip for everyone:

DO NOT USE the latest version, newest upgrade, or bleeding edge codec of ANYTHING.

It is your responsibility to make sure everyone can see your film, not the viewers. If we go with the same judging system as we did for the last one (which is likely) than you will miss out on potential votes if no one can see your film.

It doesn't matter if the footage doesn't look as good as it could, or the file size is 50% bigger than it could be, just that it plays every time everyone hits that little arrow button.

FWIW 20mb is a fine file size. Some people will do a smaller version, 20mb version and even up to a HUGE version for those who want it.
Old July 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM   #73
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll just use wmv or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
Perhaps with a couple of beer to accompany me.
Make it a six pack and watch my film last. ;;;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
Oh, that's right. I'm twenty-two, for the record.
I'm 22 as well. Our age gives us an edge, being that we're more agile and able-minded than the elders around here. :::)
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:

I'm 22 as well. Our age gives us an edge, being that we're more agile and able-minded than the elders around here. :::)
OOOOHHHH,

Sounds like a challenge for us old guys!

Mike
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM   #75
New Boot

Robert Martens,

I must admit to feeling overwhelmed with even just technical aspects of making this short (never mind the creative hurdles) but I take some comfort in your words reminding me that we all have to start somewhere and that we must get practice by application because movies are not made by sitting in a room dabbling about theory and tomorrows. It's the tenacious implementation of ideas that separate film makers from the mass audience.

I mean the bottom line: I’m here to learn. This is a good community.
Daniel Speed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge